Page 37 of 38 FirstFirst ... 27 34 35 36 37 38 LastLast

Thread: FB Final: Louisiana 42, Liberty 14

1. Default Re: FB Final: Louisiana 42, Liberty 14

Quote Originally Posted by ULGrad@HOU View Post
    Levi does a great job at protecting the ball, I do like that he doesn't throw often into coverage.
    i 100% agree.

I did a thread earlier this season on how incredibly valuable Levi Lewis' lack of interceptions is.

Default Re: FB Final: Louisiana 42, Liberty 14

Liberty is said to have a pretty decent front. OL did fine against them. I was surprised how well they performed. Beefing up would be good but pretty happy with depth to build on.

3. Default Re: FB Final: Louisiana 42, Liberty 14

Quote Originally Posted by CRAWFISH61 View Post
    And remember that Ole Miss, was held to under 30 points at home with Liberty turning the ball over a bunch in that game. Liberty had an open week to prepare and this was the Cajuns 2nd road game in a row. This was an outstanding effort.
    Additionally, the top two scoring teams against Liberty this season? Two Sun Belt schools. Louisiana (42 points ... 7 special teams points) and ULM (31 points). Ole Miss was third with 27 points.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by 60swerethebest View Post
    Liberty is said to have a pretty decent front. OL did fine against them. I was surprised how well they performed. Beefing up would be good but pretty happy with depth to build on.
    I would disagree that our OL did well against them. We wore them down, but they sure didn’t move them in the first 2.5 quarters of the game.

5. Default Re: FB Final: Louisiana 42, Liberty 14

All I can say is that it was just a beautiful game to watch at +4.5

Understand your point but the walk-on did pretty well. The game is 4 quarters against a defense that our coach said was one of the best we faced. Wearing down is part of the scheme. Lib had a weaker OL. Our defense made an all American QB look not so good. But I hear you. I was just overall satisfied without one of our main cogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainman66 View Post
    I would disagree that our OL did well against them. We wore them down, but they sure didn’t move them in the first 2.5 quarters of the game.
    100% Truth. Only 101 total yards offense in 1st half with just 1 3rd down conversion.

Quote Originally Posted by Policarp View Post
    100% Truth. Only 101 total yards offense in 1st half with just 1 3rd down conversion.
    Yes, but I believe this offense is designed on wearing down the opponent. It's not three yards and a cloud of dust a la Les Miles but it's not a classic run and gun a la Leach at Texas Tech... It's not flashy, just methodical and built to wear down the opposition... sort of like our Coach.

9. Default Re: FB Final: Louisiana 42, Liberty 14

Quote Originally Posted by covcaj View Post
    Yes, but I believe this offense is designed on wearing down the opponent. It's not three yards and a cloud of dust a la Les Miles but it's not a classic run and gun a la Leach at Texas Tech... It's not flashy, just methodical and built to wear down the opposition... sort of like our Coach.
    I think similarly.

It's a LUL offence.

Way to many passes early when you know the run would work but he sticks to the game plan through multiple 3-n-outs until he feels the opponent has made a commitment then he changes over and rolls over the opponent.

It doesn't wear them down, it makes them commit.... to the wrong thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainman66 View Post
    But I thought that was the whole point... wear them down with the run game, drain them. Then keep pounding in the 2nd half, and then butter 'em up... because they're toast.

Look at how often the underdog hangs with the heavy favorite until late in the game. Someone who knows more about football than I do once told me, "At most schools, the 1st string can play against the 1st string just about anywhere. What separates the top teams, is that they can run their 2nd & 3rd stringers into the game without a big drop-off, and just exhaust their opponents."

We kept a potential Sunday QB on his heels for much of the game... when he wasn't on his butt. And we grabbed six — count 'em six — turnovers: remember that most interceptions happen because the QB is running out of time.

But some of you are still complaining??

Wow.

11. Default Re: FB Final: Louisiana 42, Liberty 14

I don’t buy the everyone is about the same with first stringers. Maybe true for the average, but the elite usually dominate early and often on both sides of the ball. UL has been rolled early and often by perceived better programs.

12. Default Re: FB Final: Louisiana 42, Liberty 14

Quote Originally Posted by CajunFun View Post
    But I thought that was the whole point... wear them down with the run game, drain them. Then keep pounding in the 2nd half, and then butter 'em up... because they're toast.
    Traditional logic, but that isn't what happened.

Napier wore them down with the pass and then switched gears.

Quote Originally Posted by ULGrad@HOU View Post
    Game threads are meant to be for the moment. Not for predicting an outcome, it's just the flow of the game. Good when it's good, not so much when it's not. It's comments on what is happening at that time. People have a misconception of a game thread, like if someone says something negative, it means for the whole game. That is not the case.
    I agree with that to some extent. Some people assume when something negative occurs it will continue. That is not the case of course and one of the things I love about our team is how they don't panic when things go bad. They just keep playing like they were trained. Still, I personally am not thinking about participating in game threads when action is on the field as I am too focused. I am usually watching a game thinking like a coach as to what needs to be tweaked in reaction to what is going on in the moment. I know I am not near qualified in any way to be a coach and my opinions are useless in that regard. It's just the way I am wired to think.

Quote Originally Posted by Policarp View Post
    If you recall, we lost 4 yards in our first second half possession. LL and company responded efficiently with 199 yards after that. And the defense kept creating opportunities.

Best part of this team is neither side of the ball panics or points fingers.

15. Default Re: FB Final: Louisiana 42, Liberty 14

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    If you recall, we lost 4 yards in our first second half possession. LL and company responded efficiently with 199 yards after that. And the defense kept creating opportunities.

Best part of this team is neither side of the ball panics or points fingers.
    When the right defense is called for a particular play it’s almost doomed to failure. How often we see defensive players untouched, almost unseen blow up a offensive play. I’m thinking that’s what I saw on the loss you mentioned.

Page 37 of 38 FirstFirst ... 27 34 35 36 37 38 LastLast

Thread Information