Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Game officials' pay

Default Re: Game officials' pay

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    I sure hope so, because obviously the fans are not getting paid enough.
    If we talking about football officials, i know SEC pays them very very well. Its about $4k a game is what ive been told. SBC officials are considerably less than that from what i know.

Cajunref is the only guy qualified to answer this.

Quote Originally Posted by lifetimecajun View Post
    If we talking about football officials, i know SEC pays them very very well. Its about $4k a game is what ive been told. SBC officials are considerably less than that from what i know.
    Correct, they pay for their own travel & lodging expenses.

4. Default Re: Game officials' pay

Do the refs/umpires that do our games get brought in from out of town each night?

Quote Originally Posted by TammanyCajun View Post
    Do the refs/umpires that do our games get brought in from out of town each night?
    There have been locals that call at CF every once in a while. For the most part, college officials come from all areas. There are area guys in SEC and CUSA that I know of recently. On a crew on Saturday you could have guys from Florida, Texas, Kentucky and who knows where else on the same crew. Unlike Friday nights when you know the crew is more likely from the Lafayette area unless it is playoffs.

6. Default Re: Game officials' pay

Quote Originally Posted by suprcajun View Post
    There have been locals that call at CF every once in a while. For the most part, college officials come from all areas. There are area guys in SEC and CUSA that I know of recently. On a crew on Saturday you could have guys from Florida, Texas, Kentucky and who knows where else on the same crew. Unlike Friday nights when you know the crew is more likely from the Lafayette area unless it is playoffs.
    Does this apply to basketball and baseball/softball too? It must get expensive to fly umpires/referees in for so many games.

Quote Originally Posted by JMVCAJUNS View Post
    Cajunref is the only guy qualified to answer this.
    He is 100% not the only one qualified.

I’ll let another poster speak up on this collegiate official subject if he wishes too.

8. Default Re: Game officials' pay

Quote Originally Posted by CajunJeaux View Post

I’ll let another poster speak up on this collegiate official subject if he wishes too.
    Like you just stated, I am sure there are many who know something about this but generally it is a function of ability to pay and want to have the best in the business. Cream rises to the top and $$$ attract the cream. It is generally the same hierarchy for officials as it is for athletes - many can play high school. . . Many can officiate high school . . . The field is narrowed at the college level . . . Fewer can officiate at the college level . . . The better athletes generally play at the G5 level . . . The better officials generally officiate there because the pay is better . . . then you have the pros . . .

Each step up comes with better perks and conditions for the athletes . . . Same with $$$$ and perks for the officials.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunJeaux View Post

Nice would love to hear what they have to say.

Quote Originally Posted by TammanyCajun View Post
    Does this apply to basketball and baseball/softball too? It must get expensive to fly umpires/referees in for so many games.
    In diamond sports, OOC home games are generally localized crews, or used to be. When conference starts, the game officials are assigned by the conference as far as I know. Hardwood I am not too sure, but have seen locals doing Women's games before.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    Like you just stated, I am sure there are many who know something about this but generally it is a function of ability to pay and want to have the best in the business. Cream rises to the top and $$$ attract the cream. It is generally the same hierarchy for officials as it is for athletes - many can play high school. . . Many can officiate high school . . . The field is narrowed at the college level . . . Fewer can officiate at the college level . . . The better athletes generally play at the G5 level . . . The better officials generally officiate there because the pay is better . . . then you have the pros . . .

Each step up comes with better perks and conditions for the athletes . . . Same with $$$$ and perks for the officials.
    I hope the refs for our football games aren't paid the big bucks. We certainly don't get the cream of the crop or even close. Sunbelt refs are bad.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information