Thread: UL men's hoops squad very encouraging in season opener

1. UL Basketball UL men's hoops squad very encouraging in season opener

For UL men’s basketball fans, there were many things to like about the Ragin’ Cajuns’ 81-47 season-opening win over West Florida on Tuesday at the Cajundome.

First and foremost, the newcomers supplied plenty of hope for the future.

2. Default Re: UL men's hoops squad very encouraging in season opener

There was a whole like to like in the 15 players that had court time for the Cajuns last night.

Default Re: UL men's hoops squad very encouraging in season opener

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    There was a whole like to like in the 15 players that had court time for the Cajuns last night.
    I agree, we are big and talented. Granted last night was not against a great team and we will know allot more after we play USM this week, but their is truly some serious talent on this team.

Mylik Wilson got the start at Texas Tech and played pretty well in their 15 win vs North Florida. Meanwhile Cedric Russell only played 4 minutes for Ohio State in their near loss to Akron and did not have any points and 2 personal fouls.

4. Default Re: UL men's hoops squad very encouraging in season opener

Quote Originally Posted by RaginDave View Post
    I agree, we are big and talented. Granted last night was not against a great team and we will know allot more after we play USM this week, but their is truly some serious talent on this team.

Mylik Wilson got the start at Texas Tech and played pretty well in their 15 win vs North Florida. Meanwhile Cedric Russell only played 4 minutes for Ohio State in their near loss to Akron and did not have any points and 2 personal fouls.
    Sometimes the grass is not greener on the other side of the barb wire fence.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    Sometimes the grass is not greener on the other side of the barb wire fence.
    Nicholls who we played in a scrimmage and lost (without a few key pieces) had a really nice win over Northern Iowa last night, who traditionally has a pretty good team.

The SBC had a pretty good night overall. The games that the SBC were supposed to win vs inferior opponents they all won. The games that they were supposed to lose, they lost and then a couple of pretty good wins to go with it.

Georgia Southern had a good win vs Ball State from the MAC
    Little Rock had a good win vs Southern Illinois from the Missouri Valley Conference
    Texas State got a win vs Incarnate Word from the Southland

ULM was overmatched in a game vs LSU from the SEC
    UTA was overmatched in a game vs Oklahoma State from the Big 12

App was the only disappointment in losing to Iona from the MAAC (Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference)

All of the other games were SBC teams vs either NAIA or D2 teams and they all won pretty handily.

The SBC had a pretty good night overall. The games that the SBC were supposed to win vs inferior opponents they all won. The games that they were supposed to lose, they lost and then a couple of pretty good wins to go with it.

Georgia Southern had a good win vs Ball State from the MAC
    Little Rock had a good win vs Southern Illinois from the Missouri Valley Conference
    Texas State got a win vs Incarnate Word from the Southland

ULM was overmatched in a game vs LSU from the SEC
    UTA was overmatched in a game vs Oklahoma State from the Big 12

App was the only disappointment in losing to Iona from the MAAC (Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference)

All of the other games were SBC teams vs either NAIA or D2 teams and they all won pretty handily.
    Thanks Dave. League needs to win those mid major crossover games. It may help down the road. App losing wasn’t a surprise, they just got hot last March at the right time.

8. Default Re: UL men's hoops squad very encouraging in season opener

I’m personally not caring what defectors do. Because I’m only caring for Louisiana players and they’re not. Russell might get a pass because of the Covid-19 issue he’d be already finished his college career.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    I’m personally not caring what defectors do. Because I’m only caring for Louisiana players and they’re not. Russell might get a pass because of the Covid-19 issue he’d be already finished his college career.
    I agree, I was just putting it out there what was going on with Wilson and Russell.

Wilson had very typical game of what we saw him do here. Only 5 points on 2-3 shooting but 7 Assists to 1 Turnover, 2 Steals and 1 Block. I watched the 2nd half of the Ohio St game but Russell never saw the court, the Buckeyes needed a buzzer beater to beat Akron.

I liked what I saw, especially out of Williams and the front line. We're going to have a lot of depth. Still need to see more out of Cadwell, Dalcourt, Garnett etc.. Hope to see a couple guys emerge as good 3 point shooters. Even though we played an inferior opponent, one thing that also stood out was lack of turnovers. As we all know, this has plagued this team for so long. Only had 9 last night. I thought Williams did a good job of pushing at a good pace and not getting out of control. Dou also played much more under control and actually took a couple of open mid range shots rather than moving to the deep corner.

One thing that I noticed was the natural talent some of these guys have. Jordan Brown reminded me of how natural Orien Greene was on the floor and we have guys that look like monsters on the court. There is some serious muscle on that team.

Thread Information