Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 . LastLast

Thread: MBB Final: Louisiana 81, West Florida 47

Default Re: Ragin' Cajuns Basketball Season Opener Tonight

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    Our attendance reported 2069. Looked a lot less.
    I’d say about 1300 in attendance. Hard to tell with the black seats.

Default Re: MBB Final: Louisiana 81, West Florida 47

I haven’t watched a game in a while, but the floor looks a lot better without the swamp painted across it. Cool idea, but it was too distracting.

UL Basketball Re: MBB Final: Louisiana 81, West Florida 47

Team played well, Big, Long and athletic!!! And we actually pressed full court, I loved it!!! #GeauxCajuns

Saw lots of hustle. Interesting to see he played all available. Ted shirts off? Or do they get a few games while keeping red shirt a la football. Richards played hard. Everyone scrambled for loose balls. We’ll know more after Friday’s game.

Default Re: Ragin' Cajuns Basketball Season Opener Tonight

Our attendance reported 2069. Looked a lot less.
    I thought that was about right. Quite a few fans behind the goals that TV cameras may not be able to pick up. Biggest stat from this game was only 9 turnovers for the contest. Very unusual when 15 guys play and only one plays over 20 minutes. Often both teams will get over 20 in these type games. I know Jalen Dalcourt had a tough time shooting but that may be due to nerves playing in front of family. He has done well in practice and did well at Alabama as well. His defense and hustle was a positive tonight.

6. Default Re: MBB Final: Louisiana 81, West Florida 47

I’m happy to say, this team feels different. Athleticism is very obvious. Bigs are quick and agile. Bench seems to be deep.

If we can find a PG and a leader… Who knows

Quote Originally Posted by 60swerethebest View Post
    Saw lots of hustle. Interesting to see he played all available. Ted shirts off? Or do they get a few games while keeping red shirt a la football. Richards played hard. Everyone scrambled for loose balls. We’ll know more after Friday’s game.
    Good question on redshirt rules. I don't know the answer. Football has the four game rule. Perhaps basketball has something similar. I am surprised both freshman played tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    I’m happy to say, this team feels different. Athleticism is very obvious. Bigs are quick and agile. Bench seems to be deep.

If we can find a PG and a leader… Who knows
    Greg Williams Jr. did a good job in running the team in the 15 minutes he played. Garnett also did well at 2 and showed he deserved the start. Having said that, we may be better off if someone else plays point efficiently and Greg goes to the 2 spot. Perhaps Au can fill that role. I bet they hold him out a little longer but if he is healthy they need to get him some time prior to conference play.

9. UL 1984, 1999 . . . . Re: MBB Final: Louisiana 81, West Florida 47

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Good question on redshirt rules. I don't know the answer. Football has the four game rule. Perhaps basketball has something similar. I am surprised both freshman played tonight.
    One second and you’re done for the year.

https://www.jconline.com/story/sport.aa/2559913001/

Akuba and Brown looked good playing together, like they enjoyed it.

11. Default Re: MBB Final: Louisiana 81, West Florida 47

Well, we got that out of the way early . . .

I was pleasantly surprised with the crowd for a Tuesday night against a D2 school.

Was nice to see Charles bounce back with a couple of 3s after getting off to such a rough start.

As far as I know this is correct, was really surprised to see them both play, especially with the depth that was shown.

By the way Brown had a heck of a stat line. 14 Points, 7 Rebounds, 4 Assist and 0 Turnovers, 3 Blocks and 1 Steal.

14. Default Re: MBB Final: Louisiana 81, West Florida 47

Quote Originally Posted by Hatch View Post
    As far as I know this is correct, was really surprised to see them both play, especially with the depth that was shown.

By the way Brown had a heck of a stat line. 14 Points, 7 Rebounds, 4 Assist and 0 Turnovers, 3 Blocks and 1 Steal.
    It’s probably not a good idea to red shirt basketball players. The good ones, pro material NBA, and other leagues, need to help. Those not going pro will be unhappy and hit the transfer portal.

15. UL Basketball Louisiana Men’s Basketball Cruises Past West Florida in Season Opener

Sophomore newcomer Jordan Brown propelled Louisiana Men's Basketball past West Florida, 81-47 in the 2021-22 season opener Tuesday night at the Cajundome.

In his first game in a Louisiana uniform, the second-generation Ragin' Cajun filled up the stat sheet with 14 points, seven rebounds, three blocks and a team-high four assists.

The Roseville, Calif., native set the tone early, scoring 12 of his points in the first half.

Redshirt-freshman forward Kobe Julien got it done on both ends of the court recording 12 points while adding three blocks and a steal.

In his first career start, second-year walk on Kentrell Garnett contributed a career-high 10 points on 4 of 7 shooting from the floor. The freshman matched a team high with two field goals from beyond the arc.

Reigning Sun Belt Defensive Player of the Year Theo Akwuba dominated the paint along with Brown, grabbing eight rebounds and scoring nine points in the contest.

Louisiana got out to a blistering start in their first action at the Cajundome in 260 days. The Ragin' Cajuns went on a 17-4 run in the opening seven minutes to set the pace. The run was capped off with a fastbreak layup from Julien.

The teams battled back and forth down the stretch in the first half. Louisiana extended its lead to 19 on a dunk by Akwuba with just under a minute remaining before the break.

The Argonauts tried to keep pace early in the second half, but a 12-0 Ragin' Cajun run pushed the contest out of reach. The quick offensive burst, which spanned just under two minutes of game time was propelled by 3-pointers from junior guard Greg Williams Jr. and Garnett.

Louisiana locked down defensively throughout and generated 16 steals which resulted in 12 points. In addition, the combination of Brown and Akwuba allowed the Ragin' Cajuns to control the paint as the team outscored West Florida by a 46-22 margin around the basket.

Louisiana will be back in action on Friday when they travel to Hattiesburg, Miss. to take on future Sun Belt foe Southern Miss. at 7 p.m. The game will be available to be live streamed on ESPN+.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 . LastLast

Thread Information