Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Cajun Field Size ... Capacity Tenacity

Default Re: Thursday Attendance

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Merged 3 similar threads.
    Got it.

Default Re: Cajun Field Size ... Capacity Tenacity

Quote Originally Posted by mxpxfr690 View Post
    Flat out attendance was terrible last night….Good news is we are getting on national TV a lot…. It takes time to build a brand and this will help…. We need to limit mid week home games to only 1 a year, but I don’t think that is possible because ESPN owns us
    New contract with ESPN has that 40% of televised SBC games will be weekend games...when does that go into effect?

Quote Originally Posted by mxpxfr690 View Post
    Flat out attendance was terrible last night….Good news is we are getting on national TV a lot…. It takes time to build a brand and this will help…. We need to limit mid week home games to only 1 a year, but I don’t think that is possible because ESPN owns us
    We're getting on TV alot and showing potential students, potential fans, etc. that -- even when we have a good team -- the stands are going to be freakin empty, and the most fun you can expect to have to is getting drunk in the student section

Quote Originally Posted by RaginScotsman View Post
    Just to put attendance into perspective, I took a look at the attendance for some games in peer conferences. While we need to do better that 16k last night, the nearly 29k for an 11am kickoff is better than most. Here we go.

Let's start with the midweek Maction from Tuesday and Wednesday this week:

Central Michigan @ Western Michigan: 13,137
    Ball State @ Akron:7,683
    Miami (OH) @ Ohio: 15,940
    Eastern Michigan @ Toledo: 14,997
    NIU @ Kent State: 6,076

Our worst crowd beat all of those. The MAC is like a rivalry game every week and several of those were matchups of teams that were .500 or better.

Now onto some games from last week.

Navy @ Tulsa: 16,279
    #2 Cincy @ Tulane: 17,012
    UCF @ Temple: 19,595
    FIU @ Marshal: 18,466
    USM @ MTSU: 10,721
    Hawaii @ Utah State: 19,219
    ECU has a nice crowd of 34k or so and App had 29k or something like that.
    This one really stood out. A now ranked Fresno State vs #21 SDSU:11k and some change.

While I think we need to take care of our own affairs, but this gives you a picture what what it's like in the G5 at the moment.
    You may be unaware of SDSU’s stadium situation, but they get an automatic pass on any low attendance numbers this year. They’re playing their “home” games in LA, 2+ hours away from campus. They also did that last season. Every one of their home games is basically neutral site. They are building a new stadium where Qualcomm/SDCCU stadium used to be and they should be back in SD by Fall 2022.

Default Re: Cajun Field

Quote Originally Posted by Big Buds View Post
    I don’t think I criticized anyone. I named the thread “Cajun Field”. This is about positioning Cajun Field as wisely as possible moving forward; capacity, optics and etc.
    No, and I understand what you were talking about. But building an entire new grand stand with reduced seating is about optics, capacity, etc. is it not? My comments are in general to the sentiment that the fan base is not showing up and supporting the team. To that, I would suggest to others our core fan base is the 16K that showed up last night, and your alumni in Texas, North Shore and New Orleans weren't driving in on a Thrusday night game on a short week after a homecoming game.

Quote Originally Posted by fanof71 View Post
    thanks for the work...however, When you threw ECU and App in there, you see the proof that reaching a goal of 31k can be done. Actually, I don't see how comparing our apples to those oranges on that list makes much sense. None of those other teams are ranked, btw, or were playing with a 7 game win streak.
    If you honestly think App would compare to what UL would bring to game day atmosphere if we shared a similar history of success I can help you. We would mirror ECU at their best if we had 30+ years of winning tradition.

Instead we have had more success since 2010 than we have had in our entire history. We haven’t fully committed to football before 2012. Give the Cajuns 15 years of 9-12 win seasons with Top 25 rankings every 3rd year or so. We would have sell outs every Saturday game.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    No, and I understand what you were talking about. But building an entire new grand stand with reduced seating is about optics, capacity, etc. is it not? My comments are in general to the sentiment that the fan base is not showing up and supporting the team. To that, I would suggest to others our core fan base is the 16K that showed up last night, and your alumni in Texas, North Shore and New Orleans weren't driving in on a Thrusday night game on a short week after a homecoming game.
    Absolutely correct! And many of those outliers are season ticket holders. I maintained my season tickets for several years while living in San Antonio. Finally gave them up a few years ago. But even then I’d only make 1 game a year on average.
    Totally agree on the optics too. No more mostly empty upper deck.
    Really looking forward to attending a couple games next year and DEFINITELY when the new press box side is complete. That will bring a whole new dynamic to CF!

Quote Originally Posted by jaxmc1023 View Post
    We're getting on TV alot and showing potential students, potential fans, etc. that -- even when we have a good team -- the stands are going to be freakin empty, and the most fun you can expect to have to is getting drunk in the student section
    Worked for me when I was a student. Just sayin

9. Default Re: Cajun Field

Quote Originally Posted by Big Buds View Post
    We are at the height of our history. Not suggesting it’s our apex but damn we win more games than Clemson. Something needs to be thought out before we break ground.

I like the idea of painting the concrete red/white or ect. 30K max.
    Hell let’s just bulldoze it and put out some lawn chairs. Well hit capacity every time!

Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    If you honestly think App would compare to what UL would bring to game day atmosphere if we shared a similar history of success I can help you. We would mirror ECU at their best if we had 30+ years of winning tradition.

Instead we have had more success since 2010 than we have had in our entire history. We haven’t fully committed to football before 2012. Give the Cajuns 15 years of 9-12 win seasons with Top 25 rankings every 3rd year or so. We would have sell outs every Saturday game.
    100%. We can always add on when that times comes.

Default Re: Cajun Field Size

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    TWO football games in 5 days is not easy on the wallet.
    2 weakest crowds have come 5 days after the largest Saturday crowds. Tough to promote the Thursday game with limited time to do so. Makes it real tough for out of towners as well. We had some out of towners for App as it was easier to plan that trip as it had good spacing between games. Dr. Maggard was on with Scott Prather yesterday morning. I think he knew how much of a challenge last night would be as he spent as much time trying to promote the possible home conference championship game (Saturday December 4) as he did the Georgia State game. Hopefully having more teams in the league will help reduce the number of times one team is faced with having a multitude of these. Ideally, one mid week on the road and one at home would become the normal schedule.

I think we need 30k seating with ability to flex more into GA on hill or to make standing bar top seats at the top of both end zones. Im either way on the hill, leave it alone or terrace it with picnic style seating. Also, not sure how much flex attendance these would allow but if we could seat 30k with a flex capacity of another 5-10k that’s all we would need.

Gotta create smaller seating to drive demand. Oh, and gotta keep winning. Not sure what Apps capacity is but no need to have any more than that. If we can emulate them we are on the right track.

Quote Originally Posted by Esqueleto View Post
    Bruh, If they're not coming out for a top 25 team, they're not coming out. The product won't get any better.
    I'm 4,000 miles away from Lafayette. So I got to ask, are they really promoting it? Who was in charge of IceGator marketing? They did an unbelievable job. It's going to take several years of success. It has to become the place to be on Saturday etc...

14. Default Re: Thursday Attendance

Quote Originally Posted by RaginScotsman View Post
    I highlighted the Fresno State at #21 SDSU. A 6-2 team vs. a 7-0 team. 3 days later they were both ranked in the CFP poll. 11,034 in the stands. That's actually on the high side for a great team.

I know it's one comparison, but I was just looking at G5s from last week.
    I’m thinking that SDSU home games aren’t at home, but about a hundred miles away. Something to do with complete rebuild of their stadium. I’d hate to see our numbers if we played every home game at Brokeback stadium.

15. Default Re: Cajun Field

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    I understand the frustration of having a team in the top 25 and people didn't show up in large numbers to support them. But I don't think criticism helps our cause. Winning and tradition is what makes a strong fan base. We are not there yet, hopefully going forward this will change.
    We need to continue winning at a high level, and the West division needs to be a lot stronger.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread Information