Thread: Louisiana's “First to Geaux” initiative to recognize first-generation students

1. Alumni Louisiana's “First to Geaux” initiative to recognize first-generation students

The University of Louisiana at Lafayette will host an awareness campaign for students whose parents either didn’t pursue or didn’t complete a college degree program.

Louisiana’s weeklong “First To Geaux” initiative will begin on Monday, Nov. 8, which is National First-Generation Celebration Day. The initiative will end on Friday, Nov. 12.

First To Geaux, which is hosted by UL’s Office for Campus Diversity, is in place to recognize and support the University’s first-generation students.

They will have opportunities to share their stories and aspirations on social media and a chance to gather to network and swap information about campus resources, departments and programs. First-generation students will also be recognized at women’s and men’s basketball games.

Kiwana McClung, Louisiana’s interim chief diversity officer, said first-generation students are more likely to be from lower-income backgrounds, work full-time and “often struggle getting acclimated to college campuses and finding resources.”

“They don’t have parents who can answer questions about higher education or point them in the right direction in terms of finding information and resources. They often feel like they don’t have a support system, so we want to celebrate them and to let them know they aren’t alone. There are other students – and faculty and staff members – who are like them or were once like them.”

First To Geaux will kick off on Monday with a social media campaign, when students will showcase their pride and excitement about being the first members of their families to attend college. First-generation students can share their photos and stories with #First2Geaux.

On Tuesday, Nov. 9, first-generation students are encouraged to attend “First To Geaux Game Night.” Ragin’ Cajuns women’s and men’s basketball teams will both play at the Cajundome. The women’s team will face Texas A&M-Kingsville at 5 p.m.; the men will square off against West Florida at 7:30 p.m. Students can attend the games for free with their University IDs.

The #First2Geaux Twitter Chat will be held at 6 p.m. on Wednesday, Nov.10. First-generation students will have a chance to connect with each other and share their experiences. Faculty and staff members will share theirs, too, and offer support, advice and information.

All first-generation students are encouraged to participate in the Twitter chat, including UL’s military veteran’s. University students who have served in the military, however, will also have a chance to connect with fellow student veterans on Thursday, Nov. 11. That day is reserved for the #First2Geaux Veterans social media campaign.

On Friday, Nov. 12, the First To Geaux Dessert Reception will be held from 11 am. to noon on the UL Student Union Porch. First-generation students can get to know each other while enjoying cookies, cupcakes and brownies.

Learn more about Louisiana's First To Geaux initiative and National First-Generation Celebration Day, which is sponsored by the Council for Opportunity in Education.

Louisiana.edu

Default Re: Louisiana's “First to Geaux” initiative to recognize first-generation students

Red flag. The Campus Diversity office is hosting. They’re targeting a certain agenda

Default Re: Louisiana's “First to Geaux” initiative to recognize first-generation students

Quote Originally Posted by Grantvb View Post
    Red flag. The Campus Diversity office is hosting. They’re targeting a certain agenda
    Just curious. How much contact have you had with the Campus Diversity office and with what do you have personal knoweldge or expereince that is troubling?

4. Default Re: Louisiana's “First to Geaux” initiative to recognize first-generation students

I would have thought that first generation students would have ALWAYS been Priority One.

I would have thought (wrongly) that Familial Retention would be the new initiative.

5. Default Re: Louisiana's “First to Geaux” initiative to recognize first-generation students

Is “First To Geaux” planning for the football opener?

In the 60s, most of the first to attend were white students from south Louisiana. That was a big deal then. With 20% plus of our student body being black, it’s still a big deal. Glad we recognize them. I like legacies of all hues.

Quote Originally Posted by 60swerethebest View Post
    In the 60s, most of the first to attend were white students from south Louisiana. That was a big deal then. With 20% plus of our student body being black, it’s still a big deal. Glad we recognize them. I like legacies of all hues.
    Probably the best thing I’ve ever read on this board.

I was the first in my family to graduate with a degree… And that was in 1988.

If you don’t see anything good about this and how the university is pursuing it, I feel for your soul.

This is an awesome initiative. Celebrating our culture of hard work and perseverance is what it means to be a Cajun!

9. Default Re: Louisiana's “First to Geaux” initiative to recognize first-generation students

Is anyone against this? If so, please raise your hand here.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Monkee View Post
    Probably the best thing I’ve ever read on this board.

I was the first in my family to graduate with a degree… And that was in 1988.

If you don’t see anything good about this and how the university is pursuing it, I feel for your soul.
    Congratulations monkeee! I also was the first in my family, in 1981. I beat you, but only because I must be a little older.

Quote Originally Posted by moorecajun View Post
    Congratulations monkeee! I also was the first in my family, in 1981. I beat you, but only because I must be a little older.
    To yourself as well.

In all honesty, I graduated from Lafayette High in '81.

So we're not that far apart in age.

I just enjoyed my time at the Keg, errrrr, Mouton Hall so much, I stuck around for a while.

But back to current day, seeing some of these cats post on Facebook that even in 2020, 2021 and 2022 they are the first in their family to not only go to college but get a degree is, for me, so emotionally powerful and such a sense of pride in our UL community.

Its a good time to be a UL alumnus.

12. Default Re: Louisiana's “First to Geaux” initiative to recognize first-generation students

I was the First to Geaux in my family. My grandfather urged me to get an education. He didn't graduate high school, he farmed for a good portion of his life He understood the importance of education. Unfortunately, this lesson isn't being taught to many of our young people today.

13. Default Re: Louisiana's “First to Geaux” initiative to recognize first-generation students

Quote Originally Posted by RaginCajun77 View Post
    I was the First to Geaux in my family. My grandfather urged me to get an education. He didn't graduate high school, he farmed for a good portion of his life He understood the importance of education. Unfortunately, this lesson isn't being taught to many of our young people today.
    ………Ok I finally have an example of people leaving out the preposition which in the past were always used….”he didn’t graduate high school”…….where is the from? I’m not picking on the post but just wondering where or how it got started!

14. Default Re: Louisiana's “First to Geaux” initiative to recognize first-generation students

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    ………Ok I finally have an example of people leaving out the preposition which in the past were always used….”he didn’t graduate high school”…….where is the from? I’m not picking on the post but just wondering where or how it got started!
    Ultimately Boomer, in this case leaving out the preposition "from" is a huge time saver and peace keeper.

If you say "from" they then want to know from where? Which high school didn't you graduate from? Which high school didn't your daddy graduate from? By the way, who is your daddy? Who were his teachers, was he a farmer. Where you from? And that often ends with.. "My momma."

.... and everybody storms off.

Thread Information