Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Coastal in a Bowl?

Default Re: Coastal in a Bowl?

Not a great opportunity. Will never happen. We will probably be paired with a conference champ or runner up from CUSA, MAC, or AAC.

Quote Originally Posted by Esqueleto View Post
    Well, you said ever
    I did, and you correctly pointed it out.

I'd rather play an undefeated UTSA.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunrunner View Post
    That would be awesome. Has the SBC champ ever played the Cusa champ in a bowl?

Quote Originally Posted by HOUCajun View Post
    It would have to take some cooperation between the leagues. I would love it, but wouldn't expect it.

ETA: they do have a tie-in this year with the NOLA bowl, so it's definitely possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainman66 View Post
    So 35+ years ago is your most recent example, when Nixon, Ford or Carter was president. Yea, let's not go back to those times, please.
    It happened in 2015 with the MWC . but coaches were furious

If we could play a undefeated or 1 loss UTSA I’d be down with that. But if it’s against a 7 win Marshall or a 6 win AAC team?
    I think I understand your premise. It's not just that you want to play Coastal, but you want to play the best team/record and you want them in New Orleans. If it's Coastal, so much the better. My point is two-fold:

1. There is no benefit to playing a conference mate in a bowl game. Bowl games, which are post season games, just like the basketball tournaments, the baseball and softball tournaments, etc., are designed to show your superiority over other conferences. It makes more sense for both teams to play other conferences in bowl games for there to be two more opportunities to show Sun Belt conference strength rather than two less.

2. The bowl payouts from the conference pool is paid out based upon conference record in the bowls. Why would you want to guarantee the Sun Belt a loss by pairing two of their teams and possibly minimizing their payout?

Quote Originally Posted by lcitsh View Post
    I think I understand your premise. It's not just that you want to play Coastal, but you want to play the best team/record and you want them in New Orleans. If it's Coastal, so much the better. My point is two-fold:

1. There is no benefit to playing a conference mate in a bowl game. Bowl games, which are post season games, just like the basketball tournaments, the baseball and softball tournaments, etc., are designed to show your superiority over other conferences. It makes more sense for both teams to play other conferences in bowl games for there to be two more opportunities to show Sun Belt conference strength rather than two less.

2. The bowl payouts from the conference pool is paid out based upon conference record in the bowls. Why would you want to guarantee the Sun Belt a loss by pairing two of their teams and possibly minimizing their payout?
    Good point. Didn't think about that.

Quote Originally Posted by lcitsh View Post

Nice post.

Quote Originally Posted by JMVCAJUNS View Post
    Nice post.
    Agreed.

The C-USA champ was automatically sent to the Liberty Bowl until 2018, so I doubt it.

12. UL 1984, 1999 . . . . Re: Coastal in a Bowl?

Quote Originally Posted by Esqueleto View Post
    Sugar Bowl used to invite 2 SEC teams often and LSU played Tennessee in the Bluebonnet bowl in the 70s.

ESPN controls the bowls. They can make it happen if they want to. It would make for an outstanding closing game for the opening weekend of bowl season. This year the NOLA bowl is at 8 CT
    LSU also played Ole Miss in the sugar the season Billy won the Heisman trophy on the Halloween punt return. Ole Miss stomped them on that return game.

So it was legal in the past for sure.

How bout LSPooh sneak into a bowl at 6-6 and we play them in the independence bowl

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunrunner View Post
    Yes, but we played them last year.

I wouldn’t mind playing the Road runners again as they are a top of CUSA. It would just be financially stupid to play another Sunbelt Conference member. It would jeopardize bowl pay out money alone.

Playing one of the incoming members would be ok, but I think only Marshall would be eligible

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information