Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Closeout Drive For The Ages: 20 plays, 90 yards, 10 minutes

1. UL Football Closeout Drive For The Ages: 20 plays, 90 yards, 10 minutes

On a night filled with short possessions, the UL Ragin’ Cajuns put together a really, really long one to survive 28-27 against Arkansas State at Centennial Bank Stadium on Thursday.

Default Re: Closeout Drive For The Ages: 20 plays, 90 yards, 10 minutes

That was one of the most amazing drives ever, college or NFL. There was no way on earth I thought when they started their drive on the 6 yrd line with 10:26 left on the clock that would be the last drive of the game. I thought at worse, they would have to punt and hopefully get one last chance to win the game. But they moved down the field at will. And the most amazing part of the drive is the way they finished. Sure, they could have scored just because, but when Ark St was completely out of timeouts and the Cajuns just took a knee to closeout the game, that was more of a dagger in their hearts than scoring again. And at the same time, showed amazing sportsmanship.

I'm legit curious. Is this the most amount of plays run without scoring

Quote Originally Posted by CajunSaint08 View Post
    That was one of the most amazing drives ever, college or NFL. There was no way on earth I thought when they started their drive on the 6 yrd line with 10:26 left on the clock that would be the last drive of the game. I thought at worse, they would have to punt and hopefully get one last chance to win the game. But they moved down the field at will. And the most amazing part of the drive is the way they finished. Sure, they could have scored just because, but when Ark St was completely out of timeouts and the Cajuns just took a knee to closeout the game, that was more of a dagger in their hearts than scoring again. And at the same time, showed amazing sportsmanship.
    That wasn't sportsmanship. That was making sure you win. If we score on the play where we got the first down, they would have had two minutes to get a TD and 2 PT.

Instead we took a knee and ended it.

Quote Originally Posted by JayWalker View Post
    That wasn't sportsmanship. That was making sure you win. If we score on the play where we got the first down, they would have had two minutes to get a TD and 2 PT.

Agreed.

6. Default Re: Closeout Drive For The Ages: 20 plays, 90 yards, 10 minutes

Quote Originally Posted by JayWalker View Post

Self control is a sign of sports MAN ship.

Gotta be able to man your own ship.

I think Coach Napier is a genius and much more so than than most posters during the games. It became visible to me what Coach does and what he cares about. He wants to win every game but is not going to go all out to beat a non-conference team at the start of the season and give film to his conference opponents. He’s not going to try to win by 28 points against lesser conference opponents and show his hand, but when he plays a top team like AppSt, he gives them both barrels to assure a win, then holds back the reins again against a lesser team. Sometimes that can get you between a rock and hard place when players make more mistakes than usual, but then you do what is needed to orchestrate a 20 play drive to assure a win. You don’t run out the clock but instead keep pressure on defense and wear them out. Fans would do better to stop belly aching over every play that does not score and get off LL’s case when he doesn’t run on every play. He proved against AppSt he can run with strength and authority and is prepared to do so when Coach feels it’s worth it. All we need to do is look at W/L record the past 3 1/2 years and know Coach knows what he’s doing.

8. Default Re: Closeout Drive For The Ages: 20 plays, 90 yards, 10 minutes

Quote Originally Posted by irokcj5 View Post
    I think Coach Napier is a genius and much more so than than most posters during the games. It became visible to me what Coach does and what he cares about. He wants to win every game but is not going to go all out to beat a non-conference team at the start of the season and give film to his conference opponents. He’s not going to try to win by 28 points against lesser conference opponents and show his hand, but when he plays a top team like AppSt, he gives them both barrels to assure a win, then holds back the reins again against a lesser team. Sometimes that can get you between a rock and hard place when players make more mistakes than usual, but then you do what is needed to orchestrate a 20 play drive to assure a win. You don’t run out the clock but instead keep pressure on defense and wear them out. Fans would do better to stop belly aching over every play that does not score and get off LL’s case when he doesn’t run on every play. He proved against AppSt he can run with strength and authority and is prepared to do so when Coach feels it’s worth it. All we need to do is look at W/L record the past 3 1/2 years and know Coach knows what he’s doing.
    Great analysis.

20 plays, 10:26, 90 yards to get the victory. From now on, it should be known as THE DRIVE in Cajun lore. It was brilliant execution and play calling.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunSaint08 View Post
    I wouldn't go as far as saying most amazing drive ever.

Quote Originally Posted by JMVCAJUNS View Post
    I wouldn't go as far as saying most amazing drive ever.
    He said one of the most amazing drives, not the most amazing drive. There is a difference.

12. Default Re: Closeout Drive For The Ages: 20 plays, 90 yards, 10 minutes

Quote Originally Posted by CRAWFISH61 View Post
    He said one of the most amazing drives, not the most amazing drive. There is a difference.
    He wouldn’t understand. He has no comprehension and is always contrary.

13. Default Re: Closeout Drive For The Ages: 20 plays, 90 yards, 10 minutes

The Ten Minute Knee Drive sends a good message to the polsters.

'Don't judge us by impressive wins.'

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    The Ten Minute Knee Drive sends a good message to the polsters.

'Don't judge us by impressive wins.'
    While I get your point I’d imagine not many pollsters watched the game. They’ll just see the 1 point win against a 1-5 team. Not even taking rivalry into it. Kinda like the 18 point spread.

When you look at the plays on that drive...it was an execution by a thousand cuts...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information