Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Is USM a done deal?

Default Re: Is USM a done deal?

Speaking of USM aside of football, we've had dog fights in baseball/softball and volleyball in recent history. This v-ball season we went to 5 sets. I know v-ball doesn't drive the bus, but this could be our v-ball rival (i.e. - stAte - Football, USA - baseball/softball, GaSt - MBB).

2. Default Re: Is USM a done deal?

Southern Miss would automatically come in and be a really good rival in all sports. Granted our football paths have separated for some time now, but we had some great battles in the 80's and 90's with them.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post
    Even if he was the worst commissioner ever, I don’t think that changes the analytics and data he spoke about.

Last year the SBC received an $18,484,520 payout from the CFP committee. That’s $1,848,452 per school.

C-USA received $16,932,474, which comes out to $1,209,462 per school.

Our payout is higher than C-USA schools because we have fewer schools to distribute to, and we earn more for performing better than C-USA — which is apparently much easier to accomplish as a 10 school conference.

So I think it is a legitimate question to ask if adding USM and Marshall is going to be worth losing out on a share of this CFP revenue, and perhaps even Media revenue. As a fan, I want them in my conference yesterday. As an AD who has to balance the books every year, I think the choice might be tougher than we realize.
    You raise good points, but the CFP money is not static. It changes year to year based on the SBC's ranking amongst the G5. So while there is some validity to not adding more teams and reducing each teams individual payout, if you add teams that potentially increase your CFP payout by improving your overall ranking amongst the G5, then those teams are worth it.

4. Default Re: Is USM a done deal?

Quote Originally Posted by CajunFan3406 View Post
    You raise good points, but the CFP money is not static. It changes year to year based on the SBC's ranking amongst the G5. So while there is some validity to not adding more teams and reducing each teams individual payout, if you add teams that potentially increase your CFP payout by improving your overall ranking amongst the G5, then those teams are worth it.
    And will change again after the expansion of the playoff

Quote Originally Posted by CajunFan3406 View Post
    Right, but if you go back to that quote I posted, being at 10 teams was one of the keys to us getting that higher ranking. I don’t pretend to understand why it works out better with 10, but apparently it does.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post
    Right, but if you go back to that quote I posted, being at 10 teams was one of the keys to us getting that higher ranking. I don’t pretend to understand why it works out better with 10, but apparently it does.
    I get the money part about splitting but the main key to having higher rankings is our conference no longer gets totally skull f’d in OOC. Our champions went from finishing with losing records and barely bowl eligible to 2 teams ending ranked in the top 25 with combined 2 losses. If you have 9-10-12-14 teams it Doesn’t matter if you still only play 8 conference games. I think it could actually work out to have more teams with great records depending how the schedule falls

We are thinking of football. But think about the non-football sports. You play divisional games that require less travel and then a few games in cross-divisional matchups. So we could actually save money by having to go to 14 teams. Very similar to what happened to volleyball and basketball, but add in two more teams and games with divisional play. It will suck for a little bit, but I think this is the way to go.

Can someone reach out to Tommy Mcclelland for a comment? Please, please, please! This is too good.

I really wish the SBC would have made a hard push for Rice.
    Rice and USM added to the west would have made for a really, really good baseball division.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginDave View Post
    Southern Miss would automatically come in and be a really good rival in all sports. Granted our football paths have separated for some time now, but we had some great battles in the 80's and 90's with them.
    Never forget the Delhomme vs. Farve battle where Farve lead USM to a 7-6 victory in the last minutes of the 4th quarter. At least that’s what I remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Esqueleto View Post
    I really wish the SBC would have made a hard push for Rice.
    Rice and USM added to the west would have made for a really, really good baseball division.
    Bruh road trips to Houston, Hattiesburg, Mobile, and San Marcos. That's fiya. Oh well maybe they get tired of AAC and want in down the road

Quote Originally Posted by RCAJUN90 View Post
    Never forget the Delhomme vs. Farve battle where Farve lead USM to a 7-6 victory in the last minutes of the 4th quarter. At least that’s what I remember.
    Favre and Delhomme did not play at the same time. Brian Mitchell you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    I get the money part about splitting but the main key to having higher rankings is our conference no longer gets totally skull f’d in OOC. Our champions went from finishing with losing records and barely bowl eligible to 2 teams ending ranked in the top 25 with combined 2 losses. If you have 9-10-12-14 teams it Doesn’t matter if you still only play 8 conference games. I think it could actually work out to have more teams with great records depending how the schedule falls
    I can’t disagree with any of that. I’d be really curious to dig into what Benson specifically saw in that analysis.

15. Default Re: Is USM a done deal?

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieK View Post
    Favre and Delhomme did not play at the same time. Brian Mitchell you mean?
    They are 6 years apart in age.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread Information