Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sun Belt Basketball Preview

UL Basketball Sun Belt Basketball Preview

https://www.three-man-weave.com/3mw/.021-22-preview

I came across this fairly in depth preview of the conference as a whole. I don't agree with the projected starters for the Cajuns but it is pretty interesting to the see the +/- numbers when Au was on the court last year.

Default Re: Sun Belt Basketball Preview

Quote Originally Posted by Hatch View Post
    https://www.three-man-weave.com/3mw/.021-22-preview

I came across this fairly in depth preview of the conference as a whole. I don't agree with the projected starters for the Cajuns but it is pretty interesting to the see the +/- numbers when Au was on the court last year.
    I think alot of their issues down the stretch were more with having to have Russell take on more which wore him down late in the year. I think that just coincided with Au being out. Guard play will be the difference maker this year. Au still isnt playing right now, this season will come down to how good Gregg can run the team and can Harper and Jones play the guard spot as well.

Quote Originally Posted by cajuns80 View Post
    I think alot of their issues down the stretch were more with having to have Russell take on more which wore him down late in the year. I think that just coincided with Au being out. Guard play will be the difference maker this year. Au still isnt playing right now, this season will come down to how good Gregg can run the team and can Harper and Jones play the guard spot as well.
    Awkuba, Brown, and Williams will start as the writer projects. Kobe Julien will be a fourth starter. I don't know who will be the fifth guy. Cajuns80 is correct in that Harper and Jones are strong candidates for the spot. However, Durey Cadwell is moving very well now considering what he went through health wise the last two years. He is a candidate to start if either of the two guys mentioned earlier don't take a firm hold on the 2 guard role. Durey is the smartest guy on the team and that may cause the coaches to trust him more. Au may return to practice next week. Doubt he plays at Alabama on Sunday. Concern I have with this team is what happens to chemistry when some players who came in here with expectations of significant playing time have to sit more than they envisioned. If people in that situation continue to work and support their teammates who are on the court, it should be a successful season.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Awkuba, Brown, and Williams will start as the writer projects. Kobe Julien will be a fourth starter. I don't know who will be the fifth guy. Cajuns80 is correct in that Harper and Jones are strong candidates for the spot. However, Durey Cadwell is moving very well now considering what he went through health wise the last two years. He is a candidate to start if either of the two guys mentioned earlier don't take a firm hold on the 2 guard role. Durey is the smartest guy on the team and that may cause the coaches to trust him more. Au may return to practice next week. Doubt he plays at Alabama on Sunday. Concern I have with this team is what happens to chemistry when some players who came in here with expectations of significant playing time have to sit more than they envisioned. If people in that situation continue to work and support their teammates who are on the court, it should be a successful season.
    You know Mike, that is such a big problem these days . the expectations of significant playing time. What ever happened to earning playing time? Hard work, discipline . oh wait, I think I've got it . playing for the team, not yourself.

I know that is easier said than done because most college athletes will be turning pro at something else (stolen from a commercial) so they naturally want to use their time playing, not sitting.

Quote Originally Posted by moorecajun View Post
    You know Mike, that is such a big problem these days . the expectations of significant playing time. What ever happened to earning playing time? Hard work, discipline . oh wait, I think I've got it . playing for the team, not yourself.

I know that is easier said than done because most college athletes will be turning pro at something else (stolen from a commercial) so they naturally want to use their time playing, not sitting.
    Work while you wait has gone out the window for many youngsters these days.

6. Default Re: Sun Belt Basketball Preview

The transfer portal and immediate eligibility will make what you saw in the past pail to what we will see in the future in that respect.

Guys who get the most time will have earned it. Having so many new guys does result in intense practices. Back to the lineup possibilities. Don't be surprised if we see Dou Gueye, Theo Awkuba, and Jordan Brown on the floor together at times. Dou could play the three spot while Kobe Julien plays at 2 and Williams runs the point in those situations. That would be a strong rebounding team. Shooting may be lacking and we may have trouble with being pressed in that lineup. However the half court defense would be tough on opponents.

8. Default Re: Sun Belt Basketball Preview

FYI, The Cajun women were picked to finish 2nd in the SBC. Troy received 11 of the 12 votes for #1 spot, the Cajuns got the other one.

Good luck to both teams this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Guys who get the most time will have earned it. Having so many new guys does result in intense practices. Back to the lineup possibilities. Don't be surprised if we see Dou Gueye, Theo Awkuba, and Jordan Brown on the floor together at times. Dou could play the three spot while Kobe Julien plays at 2 and Williams runs the point in those situations. That would be a strong rebounding team. Shooting may be lacking and we may have trouble with being pressed in that lineup. However the half court defense would be tough on opponents.
    Dou at the 3 wouldn't shock me as he played there at the JUCO level. I would think that would be more likely while Kobe is taking a breather though and someone else at the 2 (Cadwell or Jones would still make that a very big lineup). Do you think the staff is confident in Kobe playing at the 2? Susceptibility to the press would be my main concern there as well.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginDave View Post
    FYI, The Cajun women were picked to finish 2nd in the SBC. Troy received 11 of the 12 votes for #1 spot, the Cajuns got the other one.

Good luck to both teams this year.
    Troy is a top 25 team as well so its no wonder they are 1st

11. Default Re: Sun Belt Basketball Preview

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Malkinson View Post
    Troy is a top 25 team as well so its no wonder they are 1st
    By the way, I meant, both the men and women, not UL and Troy's women. Just wanted to be clear.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    The transfer portal and immediate eligibility will make what you saw in the past pail to,what we will see in the future in that respect.
    That as well as the NIL stuff and related things; I already don't watch much pro sports because the outrageous money and other things turn me off; college sports is quickly becoming (legally) minor league pro sports.

I believe my years as a college fan are numbered.

This is the year we make it to the final 4. I can feel it

Quote Originally Posted by MDMullet8 View Post
    In the CBI ?

Quote Originally Posted by MDMullet8 View Post
    Will you cut off your mullet if we do?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information