Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Homecoming Kickoff Changed to 11 AM

Default Re: Homecoming Kickoff Changed to 11 AM

Quote Originally Posted by covcaj View Post
    Why would ESPN give a darn about backlash from Louisiana fans? You do realize that under the contract, ESPN sets the time of games and there's nothing Maggard or even the conference can do about it.

And do you think the president of Troy or ULM is willing to give up the ESPN money because Louisiana is inconvenienced?
    You can compromise and give up another game for a weekday night like ulm. Bending over and taking it is a terrible option

Why would ESPN give a darn about backlash from Louisiana fans? You do realize that under the contract, ESPN sets the time of games and there's nothing Maggard or even the conference can do about it.

And do you think the president of Troy or ULM is willing to give up the ESPN money because Louisiana is inconvenienced?
    And what can ESPN do if the administration tells them no, the game is at 4pm, you can put it on ESPNU or not, but the game is at 4. Will they shut down the program? Withhold payouts? Issue sanctions? With streaming on the App these days, not many more people will watch this because it's on the U. Nothing to gain for UL or the conference, IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Malkinson View Post
    You can compromise and give up another game for a weekday night like ulm. Bending over and taking it is a terrible optiomm
    With whom are you going to compromise? The conference president's signed a contract stating that in return for ESPN paying, ESPN gets to set game schedules. Under what basis do you compromise? ESPN wants the games that will give it the highest ratings possible. That's not ULM or Texas or Troy.

Maybe I'm missing something here. I would appreciate your laying out the "compromise" scenario. Who are the parties to the compromise and what are the conditions?

Quote Originally Posted by Balanced_view View Post
    This speaks volumes!
    In all fairness, last year was just nuts. That first 11 am kickoff to against GSouthern was to get onto ESPN2. I get that. That's where you want to be.

Then Coastal on a Wednesday night on ESPN. That was were it was supposed to be.

Then the game against stAte was moved to 11am for ESPNU. I'm with you guys. If it's an add on channel, I don't think we're benefiting from the sea of coverage that they boast. Maybe I'm wrong. Not sure if ESPNU is a perk. You're just as well to have it on + as we're paying for that anyway.

I still can't explain the South Al game being played at 1:00 pm on ESPN+. Makes no sense. Just keep it at 6.

We then lost what would have been a Saturday night game hosting Central Arkansas.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Monkee View Post
    I go of Facebook every home game IMPLORING folks to go see these young cats personally see the best football team in the State of Louisiana and these poor kids get to play in front of an announced 20k if we're lucky.

I just think the players would dig on a full house.

I love Dr. Maggard, but it's hard to come early, be loud, and stay late with these times.

So yes, I'm also being selfish.

Do we get a bigger cut?
    The answer to your question is no, we do not get a larger payout. But I ask you guys, as much as I dislike ESPN at times, is it their fault Texas State is shat in football? The conference decided the schedule and unfortunately outside of USA, our division is pure garbage.

With whom are you going to compromise? The conference president's signed a contract stating that in return for ESPN paying, ESPN gets to set game schedules. Under what basis do you compromise? ESPN wants the games that will give it the highest ratings possible. That's not ULM or Texas or Troy.

Maybe I'm missing something here. I would appreciate your laying out the "compromise" scenario. Who are the parties to the compromise and what are the conditions?
    Texas state the Texas state who lost to an FCS team who is lower in the division than ULM ... sure millions will tune into that on a network you have to pay extra for

7. Default Re: Homecoming Kickoff Changed to 11 AM

ESPN Undiscoverable

Quote Originally Posted by Esqueleto View Post
    And what can ESPN do if the administration tells them no, the game is at 4pm, you can put it on ESPNU or not, but the game is at 4. Will they shut down the program? Withhold payouts? Issue sanctions? With streaming on the App these days, not many more people will watch this because it's on the U. Nothing to gain for UL or the conference, IMO
    Pay a penalty probably not get a ESPN game for a year... oh wait that might be awesome

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    The answer to your question is no, we do not get a larger payout. But I ask you guys, as much as I dislike ESPN at times, is it their fault Texas State is shat in football? The conference decided the schedule and unfortunately outside of USA, our division is pure garbage.
    The fact that Texas State is crap is the main reason I was thinking this would be an ESPN+ game at the normal time.

Quote Originally Posted by Esqueleto View Post
    Sue for breach of contract. Withhold all payments to the conference and its schools. Cancel contract for future years. Have the conference penalize Louisiana for breach of contract.... That's just starters off the top of my head.

Quote Originally Posted by cjr3888 View Post
    The fact that Texas State is crap is the main reason I was thinking this would be an ESPN+ game at the normal time.
    Possibly, but isn't the Arkansas St game on ESPNU? Why, because they are crap and no one expects great viewership for the game.

Lots of schools have 11a or 12noon starts. Whats to stop you from tailgating between 8a and 11a and again 3pish until Sunset. People manage. That idea of renting TG spots on a per game basis is interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Malkinson View Post
    Texas state the Texas state who lost to an FCS team who is lower in the division than ULM ... sure millions will tune into that on a network you have to pay extra for
    I'm still curious about this compromise you suggested. What parties would be involved and what do you envision the agreement to be?

I'm still curious about this compromise you suggested. What parties would be involved and what do you envision the agreement to be?
    Take ULM move it to a Wednesday before Thanksgiving. It's interconfrence and ULM get to be on TV for the 1st time in forever.. the viewership will be cheecks for this game ULM will be a story of Bobby's son

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    Possibly, but isn't the Arkansas St game on ESPNU? Why, because they are crap and no one expects great viewership for the game.
    I'd have to look at the timing of the announcements. Arkansas St has a ton of transfers and a big name coach. They were expected by some to be a little competitive. That would be my guess as to why it's on the U. Texas St has none of that and the game is just a time slot filler for the network.

Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread Information