Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Notes from SB scrimmage today.

UL Softball Notes from SB scrimmage today.

Sat with Vobserver today and observed the scrimmage. We both came away with the same views. The pitchers are way ahead of the hitters at this point. Their was some basic mental and physical errors made on defense.

*Sam Landry looked very good with the changeup, screwball and rise ball. She may win us 20 to 25 games this season. I said that, she is that good.

*Lamb looked good and had some added pop on her fastball.

*Heath didn't have anything special but she made out after out. She also threw a 4 inning no hitter the other day. She might throw a wrench into the pitching plans.

* Falterman looked good in the field and on the bases. She is fast.

*Mayeaux and Campbell both had homeruns.

*Jut charted everything from behind the pitching circle.

*Vanessa Foreman looked good and has made a change to her pitching delivery.

If you guys want to know my opinion on anyone else just ask. For the most part pitching looked to be on top. Curious to get Icitsh and Roarmans take.

2. Default Re: Notes from SB scrimmage today.

Thanks

Default Re: Notes from SB scrimmage today.

Raina O'Nell also looked to be faster on the bases. She had a good double and ran the bases hard.

4. Default Re: Notes from SB scrimmage today.

Nice

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Nice
    Lots of new kids I think the roster is:

15 Freshman
    2 Sophomores
    8 Juniors
    2 Seniors

UL Softball SB tomorrow

Another scrimmage. Warmup at noon, starts at 1pm.

7. Default Re: Sb tomorrow

The board looks forward to your report.

Default Re: Sb tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    The board looks forward to your report.
    Will be more of a tidbit than a report.

Quote Originally Posted by JMVCAJUNS View Post
    Lots of new kids I think the roster is:

15 Freshman
    2 Sophomores
    8 Juniors
    2 Seniors
    Honest question... I know nothing about SB. But, is it normal to have this young a team this far into the HCs tenure?

10. Default Re: Notes from SB scrimmage today.

Quote Originally Posted by covcaj View Post
    Honest question... I know nothing about SB. But, is it normal to have this young a team this far into the HCs tenure?
    When you initially have to build an emergency team with transfers, at some point a freshmen laden team is inevitable.

jmo

11. Default Re: Notes from SB scrimmage today.

I saw the Speed Gun on the pitches. It was out above the Y on Yvette. Aside from the Speed Gun, we did not see every pitcher today, but I am told we have 5 pitchers that can hit 65 MPH. Yes, Vanessa is looking good. She is really working on her spin and it shows.
    Her speed has also improved.

About the youth on the team? They are enthusiastic and they know each other from before college. Six played on the Houston Hot Shots Travel Ball Team. This Travel Ball team went to and placed in the top 5 at the Big Travel Ball Tournaments.

In 2008 our Cajuns went to the World Series with four Freshmen starters and two senior transfer starters on the team. Freshmen: Ashley Brignac, Donna Bourgeois, Katie Smith, Gabrielle Bridges. Transfers starters: Vanessa Soto and Brooke Broadhead. So, the team had six starters who were new to the team. It can be done.

Quote Originally Posted by covcaj View Post
    I wouldn't say normal, but not surprised by it. Coach hit the portal hard for a few years to fill voids so at some point it will catch up to you. I doubt in four years that we have those 15 kids as seniors.

Quote Originally Posted by Looney Lou View Post
    I saw the Speed Gun on the pitches. It was out above the Y on Yvette. Aside from the Speed Gun, we did not see every pitcher today, but I am told we have 5 pitchers that can hit 65 MPH. Yes, Vanessa is looking good. She is really working on her spin and it shows.
    Her speed has also improved.

About the youth on the team? They are enthusiastic and they know each other from before college. Six played on the Houston Hot Shots Travel Ball Team. This Travel Ball team went to and placed in the top 5 at the Big Travel Ball Tournaments.

In 2008 our Cajuns went to the World Series with four Freshmen starters and two senior transfer starters on the team. Freshmen: Ashley Brignac, Donna Bourgeois, Katie Smith, Gabrielle Bridges. Transfers starters: Vanessa Soto and Brooke Broadhead. So, the team had six starters who were new to the team. It can be done.
    If Lamb and Landry each get 20 wins we will be in good shape. I agree Foreman was very much improved. Do you know if Jut changed her delivery or did she do it on her own?

UL Softball Re: Notes from SB scrimmage today.

Quote Originally Posted by JMVCAJUNS View Post
    Sat with Vobserver today and observed the scrimmage. We both came away with the same views. The pitchers are way ahead of the hitters at this point. Their was some basic mental and physical errors made on defense.

*Sam Landry looked very good with the changeup, screwball and rise ball. She may win us 20 to 25 games this season. I said that, she is that good.

*Lamb looked good and had some added pop on her fastball.

*Heath didn't have anything special but she made out after out. She also threw a 4 inning no hitter the other day. She might throw a wrench into the pitching plans.

* Falterman looked good in the field and on the bases. She is fast.

*Mayeaux and Campbell both had homeruns.

*Jut charted everything from behind the pitching circle.

*Vanessa Foreman looked good and has made a change to her pitching delivery.

If you guys want to know my opinion on anyone else just ask. For the most part pitching looked to be on top. Curious to get Lcitsh and Roarmans take.
    This is the first time I see them so it's hard to get any lasting impressions yet. I did talk with Lacy after the scrimmage and they have only been practicing for a few days. They have been working on individuals for the first six weeks so we should see improvement now that they are working together.

Pitching did look good in spots. I would expect Landry to be ahead of the rest of the pitchers since she played more during the summer than the others. I don't think Gerry was very happy with the meatball she fed Campbell for the home run. I have come to accept that Lamb will be good but she will never have enough control to be reliable in big games. I like what little I saw of Schorman. I am pleased with Foreman's new delivery. She has excellent movement on her pitches.

Stormy is getting work at catcher, apparently Jacquelyn Adams is nursing an injury. I like the patience the batters showed in the box. They made the pitchers work and they had some good cuts at pitches. The mental errors on defense will be ironed out as they practice more together. One of last season's problems has already been resolved: these players are in shape and physically ready for the season to start now.

I hope I am able to see the progress of this team over the next few months. This is a talented group of players, it will be interesting to see their improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by lcitsh View Post
    This is the first time I see them so it's hard to get any lasting impressions yet. I did talk with Lacy after the scrimmage and they have only been practicing for a few days. They have been working on individuals for the first six weeks so we should see improvement now that they are working together.

Pitching did look good in spots. I would expect Landry to be ahead of the rest of the pitchers since she played more during the summer than the others. I don't think Gerry was very happy with the meatball she fed Campbell for the home run. I have come to accept that Lamb will be good but she will never have enough control to be reliable in big games. I like what little I saw of Schorman. I am pleased with Foreman's new delivery. She has excellent movement on her pitches.

Stormy is getting work at catcher, apparently Jacquelyn Adams is nursing an injury. I like the patience the batters showed in the box. They made the pitchers work and they had some good cuts at pitches. The mental errors on defense will be ironed out as they practice more together. One of last season's problems has already been resolved: these players are in shape and physically ready for the season to start now.

I hope I am able to see the progress of this team over the next few months. This is a talented group of players, it will be interesting to see their improvement.
    I agree with overall conditioning being better. However I did see a kid hit a ground ball to the second baseman and that kid did not hustle at all. I was disappointed in that.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information