Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: The Ragin Cajun Brand & Conference Realignment: Rick Jones

Default Re: The Ragin Cajun Brand & Conference Realignment: Rick Jones

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob81 View Post
    If you’re not a die hard than you’re a casual fan. It’s not an insult.
    Yes but you can be a die hard fan and not attend the games in person. I love the Saints and Astro I buy their gear but not always going to drive to the cities to see them I watch lots of their games on tv doesn't make me a casual fan. My nephew has a goal of playing for the Cajuns, buy's Cajun gear every chance he can. Visits the stadium every time he is in town and watches the games on tv in Columbus Georgia he's not a casual fan. My point is just because someone doesn't attend games in person doesn't make them a casual fan. Lots of Alumni live out of state and can't attend in person. I hate always trying to label people as you're this or you're that why can't we just all be Cajun fans and do what we can within our own powers to improve our University instead of bulling people to do things that maybe they cannot do. (not calling you a bully)

2. Default Re: The Ragin Cajun Brand & Conference Realignment: Rick Jones

Just wanted to thank you for another excellent podcast this was the best one yet. It can’t be easy doing what you are doing but you make it enjoyable and engaging which is only the good ones can pull that off

Great podcast, it’s nice to hear good things from an outsider.

As to the die hard v casual comments, if you’re on this board then you are probably closer to the die hard end of the spectrum. You don’t have to attend every game (some people live out of state) or give every extra penny you have to RCAF to be a die hard. Wear red, watch the game (in person if possible), promote the brand to friends and family and most importantly have fun being a Cajun fan. We’re going to win some and going to lose some, we may or may not be in a new conference, our QB may or may not be the best or most average, our basketball is...well, we can all agree on that topic!

What I gathered most from the interview with Rick is to be a Ragin Cajun!

I do apologize for taking away from a good podcast talking about casual fans. Just want to see the University and it's athletics in the best position we can be in together as one Cajun Nation. I am excited to see what happens to us in all this re-alignment I feel it should be a win win situation.

This was one of if not the best podcasts y’all have done. I’ve had a few personal favorites besides this one that are comparable but none have been this informative. Really good stuff guys. Thanks and keep em coming.

In general, what he was saying is that UL has to get better at reaching out to the "casual fan" whether you break that out into some sort of generational brand or as a generic term. Today we have exhibit A...The messaging out of Athletics and the school in general about the App game up to this point, has been nothing short of pathetic. I can count on 1 hand (actually 2 fingers) the social posts promoting this game. That is just not acceptable. I'm starting to see, including here, questions about tailgating, game day timetable (walk, etc) and more. UL will never, never, get over the hump in trying to get more people into CF who may not normally attend, until they learn the messaging should be constant, creative, and on as many platforms as possible...and above all, TIMELY!

Default Re: wThe Ragin Cajun Brand & Conference Realignment: Rick Jones

Quote Originally Posted by fanof71 View Post
    In general, what he was saying is that UL has to get better at reaching out to the "casual fan" whether you break that out into some sort of generational brand or as a generic term. Today we have exhibit A...The messaging out of Athletics and the school in general about the App game up to this point, has been nothing short of pathetic. I can count on 1 hand (actually 2 fingers) the social posts promoting this game. That is just not acceptable. I'm starting to see, including here, questions about tailgating, game day timetable (walk, etc) and more. UL will never, never, get over the hump in trying to get more people into CF who may not normally attend, until they learn the messaging should be constant, creative, and on as many platforms as possible...and above all, TIMELY!
    “ messaging should be constant, creative, and on as many platforms as possible.”
    Hit the nail on the head.
    Dr Maggard is doing just this. We have got to keep it up and everyone on RP needs to be doing the same on all platforms. Twitter is an amazing sports platform. Let’s put it out there in everyone’s face constantly!

8. Default Re: wThe Ragin Cajun Brand & Conference Realignment: Rick Jones

Quote Originally Posted by UL_Cajuns View Post
    “ messaging should be constant, creative, and on as many platforms as possible.”
    Hit the nail on the head.
    Dr Maggard is doing just this. We have got to keep it up and everyone on RP needs to be doing the same on all platforms. Twitter is an amazing sports platform. Let’s put it out there in everyone’s face constantly!
    But the problem with social platforms is it becomes a bubble. An echo chamber. It feels like you’re reaching everyone but you’re really only reaching a certain tribe. Something like 11% of the population is on Twitter. That’s nothing.

And I agree. I’ve been incredibly disappointed in the outreach for the App St game to date. Most disappointed by the tepid response to our ideas about getting the tailgate seen buzzing days prior to the game. It just makes too much sense to not attempt it. Admin has been mum on it.

I'd like to see more of a grass roots campaign, especially for this game. Get out to the folks who don't have social media accounts (me) or who scrolls right past them. Let's put out yard signs all over town advertising that there is a game on Tuesday, get people out to all of the Super 1 locations and sell discounted tickets to people shopping, sell discounted tickets at all of the local high schools. Why haven't these simple thing been done?

Nothing is more intrusive now days than digital ads. But, you have to purchase those gross impressions...in Lafayette, that runs around $10 a thousand (cpm). 50000 impressions=$500. You get the idea...

Something that I keep thinking about is Rick's comments on getting out of TV deals with the TV networks (dinosaurs) and distributing your own games on your own platform. I think it would work well for a big school like Notre Dame that already has great exposure, but we'd take a big exposure hit. Would have a tough time convincing the casual CFB fan to buy digital access to any one of our games, especially at the G5 level.

To reach the money we currently receive from the new alleged SBC TV deal, we'd have to get 15,000 people to buy an "online season ticket" package at $80. Send a small online ticket swag package to subscribers via mail, and I think that's a good deal. Charge $30 to purchase access to a single game.

We get to have all Saturday night games. Helps with tailgating and gameday experience. But I don't know if a school our size and at our level can afford to lose the exposure the dinosaurs bring us.

12. Default Re: The Ragin Cajun Brand & Conference Realignment: Rick Jones

Quote Originally Posted by RedTails View Post
    Something that I keep thinking about is Rick's comments on getting out of TV deals with the TV networks (dinosaurs) and distributing your own games on your own platform. I think it would work well for a big school like Notre Dame that already has great exposure, but we'd take a big exposure hit. Would have a tough time convincing the casual CFB fan to buy digital access to any one of our games, especially at the G5 level.

To reach the money we currently receive from the new alleged SBC TV deal, we'd have to get 15,000 people to buy an "online season ticket" package at $80. Send a small online ticket swag package to subscribers via mail, and I think that's a good deal. Charge $30 to purchase access to a single game.

We get to have all Saturday night games. Helps with tailgating and gameday experience. But I don't know if a school our size and at our level can afford to lose the exposure the dinosaurs bring us.
    When it comes to digital sales you have to think in terms of households not individuals.

In house ad sales could blow the current income out of the water.

To overcome dinosaur influence and this is something Louisiana needs to be doing now anyway,
    namely dumping a couple dozen videos "per game" of big play compilations longs and shorts on the various video platforms. Including entire games after the fact win or lose.

I wonder that as well, as well as how could UL execute this as it seems just promoting a game and being on top of it is a challenge.

He loves the hill with the kids playing on it!

Digital currency is gross impressions, not HH. HH is TV term and is measured in ratings, which can be expressed as gross rating points or thousands.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread Information