Thread: Annual FB Signing Limit Increase

Default Annual FB Signing Limit Increase

Interesting Article from The Athletic Shown Below: This should help HS and JC guys who have had number of scholarship opportunities reduced due to the portal

The NCAA’s Division I Council voted Tuesday to approve a one-year waiver that will allow college football programs to increase the 2022 signing class limit by up to seven additional spots. The decision will officially take effect at the conclusion of Wednesday’s council meeting.

The waiver was initially proposed to help coaches with roster management months after the NCAA passed the one-time transfer rule, which allows all athletes to transfer once and play right away without penalty. That, coupled with the implementation of the transfer portal in 2018, has made it easier than ever for players to move freely around the sport. Coaches have asked for guardrails and relief to try to restock their rosters and have some semblance of control.

Jump to
    Why now?
    Will this become permanent?
    "We believe schools should have temporary flexibility to help address possible roster depletion due to transfers," said Penn State athletic director Sandy Barbour, the chair of the Division I Football Oversight Committee. "This one-year waiver enables schools to properly utilize their scholarship limitations."

Current NCAA rules allow programs to sign up to 25 players in a new football signing class — termed “initial counters” — which includes high school players and transfers. Each FBS program also has a maximum of 85 total scholarship players. This means a coach could lose players to graduation and the transfer portal and then sign 25 initial counters but still be below the 85-scholarship player maximum.

This waiver will allow those programs to replace up to seven departing transfers above the 25-player limit. Schools will only be allowed to replace players who enter the portal after either the end of the institution’s fall term or Dec. 15, 2021, whichever is earlier, a source told The Athletic. Schools will only be allowed to replace players who are academically eligible at their new school.

(Photo: Brian Bahr / Getty Images)

Why now?
    Chris Vannini, National writer: Coaches have been asking for signing class relief for a while now, especially since the implementation of the transfer portal made moving a bit easier. There’s also been concern over a loss of opportunities for high school players as some schools take more transfers. The coaches association pushed this proposal to the football oversight committee, which battled over the details.

“This isn’t perfect, I don’t think anybody on the committee thinks it’s perfect, but it’s the only thing everyone could coalesce behind,” AFCA executive director Todd Berry told The Athletic last month.

Vannini: This is a one-year waiver, but Berry said the oversight committee will continue to work on a long-term solution. Berry is a non-voting member on the committee.

“The committee is going to be right back on something everyone can get around that’s more permanent,” he said. “I don’t think this discussion is ever going to end. I don’t think anybody believes we’re anywhere close to where we need to be.”

Default Re: Annual FB Signing Limit Increase

Mike this doesn’t help anyone other than the elite programs. It’s allows them to backfill early departures. That’s it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Interesting Article from The Athletic Shown Below: This should help HS and JC guys who have had number of scholarship opportunities reduced due to the portal

The NCAA’s Division I Council voted Tuesday to approve a one-year waiver that will allow college football programs to increase the 2022 signing class limit by up to seven additional spots. The decision will officially take effect at the conclusion of Wednesday’s council meeting.

The waiver was initially proposed to help coaches with roster management months after the NCAA passed the one-time transfer rule, which allows all athletes to transfer once and play right away without penalty. That, coupled with the implementation of the transfer portal in 2018, has made it easier than ever for players to move freely around the sport. Coaches have asked for guardrails and relief to try to restock their rosters and have some semblance of control.

Jump to
    Why now?
    "We believe schools should have temporary flexibility to help address possible roster depletion due to transfers," said Penn State athletic director Sandy Barbour, the chair of the Division I Football Oversight Committee. "This one-year waiver enables schools to properly utilize their scholarship limitations."

Current NCAA rules allow programs to sign up to 25 players in a new football signing class — termed “initial counters” — which includes high school players and transfers. Each FBS program also has a maximum of 85 total scholarship players. This means a coach could lose players to graduation and the transfer portal and then sign 25 initial counters but still be below the 85-scholarship player maximum.

This waiver will allow those programs to replace up to seven departing transfers above the 25-player limit. Schools will only be allowed to replace players who enter the portal after either the end of the institution’s fall term or Dec. 15, 2021, whichever is earlier, a source told The Athletic. Schools will only be allowed to replace players who are academically eligible at their new school.

(Photo: Brian Bahr / Getty Images)

Why now?
    Chris Vannini, National writer: Coaches have been asking for signing class relief for a while now, especially since the implementation of the transfer portal made moving a bit easier. There’s also been concern over a loss of opportunities for high school players as some schools take more transfers. The coaches association pushed this proposal to the football oversight committee, which battled over the details.

“This isn’t perfect, I don’t think anybody on the committee thinks it’s perfect, but it’s the only thing everyone could coalesce behind,” AFCA executive director Todd Berry told The Athletic last month.

Vannini: This is a one-year waiver, but Berry said the oversight committee will continue to work on a long-term solution. Berry is a non-voting member on the committee.

“The committee is going to be right back on something everyone can get around that’s more permanent,” he said. “I don’t think this discussion is ever going to end. I don’t think anybody believes we’re anywhere close to where we need to be.”
    This only benefits the top of the P5 in increasing scholarships like it used to be before. Remember the years of Alabama signing 35 athletes and Miami signing close to 40 in a class? This is not good for G5 programs that cannot afford to pay for those extra scholarships.

4. Default Re: Annual FB Signing Limit Increase

The talent graveyard is about to expand.

P5 gets to farm out 7 poor to marginal underachievers and get to sign 32 vs 25

6. Default Re: Annual FB Signing Limit Increase

More players on the bench. more players in the portal.

7. Default Re: Annual FB Signing Limit Increase

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    More players on the bench. more players in the portal.
    At least with the portal and immediate eligibility, we may only lose them for one year on the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    At least with the portal and immediate eligibility, we may only lose them for one year on the bench.
    Does portal and immediately eligibility still go together? I thought immediately eligibility was a one-year COVID thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainman66 View Post
    Does portal and immediately eligibility still go together? I thought immediately eligibility was a one-year COVID thing.
    Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainman66 View Post
    Immediate eligibility after transferring is a permanent policy. However, going forward you can only do it once.

11. Default Re: Annual FB Signing Limit Increase

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Ultimatly, how did this one time rule affect Louisiana this year?

Thread Information