Page 41 of 54 FirstFirst . 31 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 51 . LastLast

Thread: FB Final: Louisiana 20, South Alabama 18

Default Re: Live Game Talk: Louisiana vs. South Alabama

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    I tend to doubt that. In fact I think everyone who participates on this board would be in the hospital if they took more than a couple of snaps at QB in a college game.
    Come on Mike, I think even you could turn and throw to the sideline, and that's 80% of our passing game offense.

Default Re: FB Final: Louisiana 20, South Alabama 18

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    I don't care if Napier continues calling plays; he just needs to acknowledge that if we are going to live or die behind Levi Lewis, we have to be run first and we have to allow [or make] Levi play to his strength, which is running the ball. If we had not thrown a single pass last night, we would still have won, and probably by a larger margin.
    I agree with this observation & if this coaching staff is being intellectually honest with themselves they would agree also. This team might be undefeated had they had a run first physical mentality especially at the QB position to start the year off. This QB isn't using his best attributes & helping himself, his offense, or his team be the best it can be because no one is coaching him to do so. That is the single biggest cause of all of their other offensive problems. If this game doesn't prove that point beyond a doubt then nothing ever will.

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    I don't care if Napier continues calling plays; he just needs to acknowledge that if we are going to live or die behind Levi Lewis, we have to be run first and we have to allow [or make] Levi play to his strength, which is running the ball. If we had not thrown a single pass last night, we would still have won, and probably by a larger margin.
    Best post I've seen reading this thread. Well the last 8 pages, I'm not reading the whole game thread and stayed away all last night. Leaning towards calling it a day and stopping with your post.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandwagon King View Post
    I agree with this observation & if this coaching staff is being intellectually honest with themselves they would agree also. This team might be undefeated had they had a run first physical mentality especially at the QB position to start the year off. This QB isn't using his best attributes & helping himself, his offense, or his team be the best it can be because no one is coaching him to do so. That is this single biggest cause of all of their other offensive problems. If this game doesn't prove that point beyond a doubt then nothing ever will.
    I was beyond ecstatic during the first two series. We gashed the South Al defense with the zone read, and Levi was a big part of that, running very effectively. I though that Billy had figured it out.

Then on the next series we threw three incomplete passes, all within 5 yards of the LOS. Totally illogical and incomprehensible, even if that was your pregame plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainman66 View Post
    True, but that is not what some are suggesting.

Show me where Saban made coaching responsibility changes mid-season after starting 4-1 or 5-0?

I’m all for tweaks during the season to improve, but what some people are suggesting is full blown massive surgery.

Anyone who doesn’t think changing playcallers during the season as a massive change is not intellectually honest.
    Maybe a play caller change mid season isn't the answer. But Napier needs to check his stubbornness and get input from others, that wouldn't be asking alot.

Levi is not going to be a run first QB, you can forget that. He's good at running, but he doesn't look like he enjoys it at all, in fact his body language says he doesn't want to be hit. He's not big enough to handle that kind of contact.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    I think two things can be true simultaneously. Coach Napier is 20-5 as you mentioned in the SBC. It is also true that Coach Napier seems to stick with his play calling sheet, regardless of the success certain plays and formations. To me he continues to go with what has been successful and proven. At the same time, the conference and defensive coordinators are catching up with his schemes and tendencies. I also continue to believe, and I didn't come to this conclusion by myself, is he misses Rob Sale more than any other coach that has recently left his staff. They had a unique relationship as OC and Assistant HC.
    T, I think we are in agreement as I have called out tendencies are catching up with Napier big time. My main point/belief that changing play callers mid-season is not the panacea SOME, not most, think it would be.

The most reasonable approach is for Coach Napier to take a long look inward, and really do a self-assessment of himself and the team. With the extra time to prepare before our next game, I think it offers him a unique opportunity to do that.

My impression is that SOME are in the 'IN CASE OF FIRE BREAK GLASS' mode. I do not see us in that mode, BUT I do not see us in the 'ALL IS FINE, EVERYONE RELAX' mode either. I am in the 'WE HAVE YELLOW-BLINKING LIGHTS, ISSUES NEED ATTENTION' mode or really bad things could happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    I tend to doubt that. In fact I think everyone who participates on this board would be in the hospital if they took more than a couple of snaps at QB in a college game.
    Mike I said that tougue in cheek. He has more snaps than the other qb's in the league. His stats should be better.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainman66 View Post
    100% agree. I know my personality in all things, not just Cajuns sports, is my cup is 1/2 full.

My honest assessment of Levi Lewis, as a QB, not a person, is as follows:

1. He is a winner, the numbers is HS and college prove that.
    2. He wins UGLY. He wins by leadership, opportunistic runs and not turning the ball over.
    3. His passing (for today's game) is average to below-average. He is not an instinctual passer.
    4. He is not a free-lancer, so I truly believe he is following the game plan, as laid out.

What none of us can know (I don't care how plugged in one thinks they are to the locker room) is what level of belief/confidence his teammates have in him versus Fields or Woodridge? Along with what Napier sees in practice, sees in the games, has to be a very important part of any decision to make a change at QB.

I believe LL is still the best option at QB because Napier does and he gets wins. Is it difficult to watch the wins, without a doubt.
    A current coach on the staff has said Fields is the best option we have.

Quote Originally Posted by ULGrad@HOU View Post
    Come on Mike, I think even you could turn and throw to the sideline, and that's 80% of our passing game offense.
    LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by JMVCAJUNS View Post
    Maybe a play caller change mid season isn't the answer. But Napier needs to check his stubbornness and get input from others, that wouldn't be asking alot.
    This I can agree with, but we don't know that he isn't getting input from others and ignoring it. We are all, myself included, assuming that. What if he is getting input, and taking it and it is just bad input?

Cajunjeb is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

I agree 100%. When he announced his return, I was happy. I know what the team has with him. He is a winner. But, last year, in the beginning of the season, they won ugly. This year, the team can’t put teams away. That’s on Napier. But, give me Napier every day and twice in Sunday’s.

Quote Originally Posted by ULGrad@HOU View Post
    Levi is not going to be a run first QB, you can forget that. He's good at running, but he doesn't look like he enjoys it at all, in fact his body language says he doesn't want to be hit. He's not big enough to handle that kind of contact.
    Can we stop with the "Levi is scared" bull____? Yeah, he is small for a running QB at the D1 level. Yeah, he probably does try to angle the hits he's about to take, much like very good receivers his size do.

But I watched that guy run head first into a couple defenders last night, getting the first down, and having his helmet ripped off in the process. He jumped right back up and called the next play.

Last week at the end of the half, he did his best to get into the endzone putting his shoulder down with multiple defenders.

Criticize the talent, decision making on reads or progressions, all you want. But this whole thing about him being scared to run or scared of being hit is garbage.

It would be very helpful if ANYONE is our local "media" would ask about the play callingSIGHTING SPECIFIC EXAMPLES. I won't hold my breath.

15. Default Re: FB Final: Louisiana 20, South Alabama 18

Quote Originally Posted by JMVCAJUNS View Post
    A current coach on the staff has said Fields is the best option we have.
    That is why he is a current coach and not THE COACH.

A current coach said Pry was going to be our next coach a few years ago and hallelujah, Napier became THE COACH.

Page 41 of 54 FirstFirst . 31 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 51 . LastLast

Thread Information