Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9

Thread: Louisiana Men’s Basketball 2021-22 Non-Conference Schedule

Default Re: Louisiana Men’s Basketball 2021-22 Non-Conference Schedule

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Malkinson View Post
    Because it sounds like a made up team just like us Virgin Island islanders
    I apologize. Thank you for clarifying.

2. Default Re: Louisiana Men’s Basketball 2021-22 Non-Conference Schedule

Quote Originally Posted by covcaj View Post
    I really would like someone who knows the economics of basketball scheduling to comment on this, because I don't, but I'm going to offer a scenario for discussion purposes only... Any similarity between this scenario and reality is purely coincidental....

Let's suppose that Louisiana can schedule Mt. Carmel of the Holy Word at home for $5000. It can schedule an away game with Mr. Big's School of Fat Cats, which is a P% school for $15,000. Louisiana has made $10,000 off the two games.

If it can schedule a home and home with another mid-major, would it sell an extra $10,000 worth of tickets for the home game?

I realize finances are not everything, but they are important. And, I don't know that the needle would move enough in perception to make the loss of income worth it.
    Judging the money on a per game basis is shortsighted.

The per game calculation ignores the value of the many lost longtime season ticket holders as well as the unknown new ticket season holders.

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    Buying a home game against a decent midmajor like Belmont might be 100K. A home and home should be free. Considering the OOC schedules that most mid majors in the south seem to have, it is clear to me that they just flat out dont want to play OOC road games against their peers. That is all about padding records.

Their scheduling practices have created the self-fulfilling prophecy that the SBC or CUSA is a one-bid conference. I keep pointing to the WCC, which is crap below the top 3 teams, yet they are usually a 2 bid conference, sometimes 3. Gonzaga, BYU and St. Mary ain't playing the little sisters of the poor OOC.
    There may be truth to that, but another big part of the equation is that mid-major coaches are (understandably) not that eager to travel long distances for home and homes because lots of those home and homes end up being midweek games. If we play McNeese, all it costs the program is a 120 mile charter bus ride and 2 1/2 hours of travel time. Also, our players don't have to miss class that day or the next day. If we travel to UTSA, it's a 12 hour round trip, you're probably buying hotel rooms, and you miss two days of classes. And although it is a safe bet that UTSA will have a better RPI than McNeese, it is never, ever a guarantee. A teams RPI can vary wildly from year to year.

Getting quality home games is not easy, but I don’t think we try hard enough.

The real problem is all of the D2 games. Scheduling home games just to have home games that can only hurt your post season chances is asinine.

We should limit the D2 games to 1 per season. They are nothing more than pre-season tune ups.

If you find yourself with a couple of home dates to fill, go on the road. Get a paycheck. The guys just might learn how to compete, maybe get a skin to put on the wall.

We HAVE TO stop cowering in the corner like a scared little fish.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    Getting quality home games is not easy, but I don’t think we try hard enough.

The real problem is all of the D2 games. Scheduling home games just to have home games that can only hurt your post season chances is asinine.

We should limit the D2 games to 1 per season. They are nothing more than pre-season tune ups.

If you find yourself with a couple of home dates to fill, go on the road. Get a paycheck. The guys just might learn how to compete, maybe get a skin to put on the wall.

We HAVE TO stop cowering in the corner like a scared little fish.
    I believe the Learfield contract requires a minimum number of home games.

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    Buying a home game against a decent midmajor like Belmont might be 100K. A home and home should be free. Considering the OOC schedules that most mid majors in the south seem to have, it is clear to me that they just flat out dont want to play OOC road games against their peers. That is all about padding records.

Their scheduling practices have created the self-fulfilling prophecy that the SBC or CUSA is a one-bid conference. I keep pointing to the WCC, which is crap below the top 3 teams, yet they are usually a 2 bid conference, sometimes 3. Gonzaga, BYU and St. Mary ain't playing the little sisters of the poor OOC.
    That is a correct view. There are no costs involved with a home and home. We are not paying UNO and McNeese to come here. USM and La Tech are not paying us to go there. Note those are reversed next season. USM and La. Tech will come here at that time. Playing a non D1 costs about 15 grand. It may be a little less than 100 grand to get Belmont to come here but it will be above 80. We generally get 90 plus for our pay day games. Buying a SWAC team costs about 60 grand. The Jackson State game is part of the MTE so I don't think we are paying them anything as we have to play at Indiana and Marshall as part of the deal. Prior to the pandemic, Dr. Maggard had set a policy of buying only one non D1 while also buying a D1 game. Pandemic financial issues changed that. We were supposed to have only 2 non D1 games this year. We thought we had an in season home and home set with a well known mid major a few weeks ago. When that fell apart, we were forced to go to a third non D1. I am not sure why the other deal fell apart but I think they got a good pay day game instead. We were also supposed to play another SEC game in a payday road game. That also fell through. Had it gone through maybe we get to buy a game. I have no clue on why these things keep happening. I am just a partial messenger here and have no impact on this. Finally, a previous post stating that the Learfield contract calls for a certain no. of home games is correct. I understand the frustration with the situation as the final home non conference schedule is disappointing.

Our road schedule this year is challenging. It will prepare them for conference play. In fact I wish we had another payday game. As I stated earlier, one we thought we had fell through and it was too late to shop for another when that happened. As stated earlier. we have to play a certain number of home games as part of the Learfield contract. We can't go on the road to fill every non conference game slot.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    I have no clue on why these things keep happening.
    Lack of respect and relationships with other competitive programs?

Fans from other programs who are on Louisiana’s schedule are probably complaining about playing a team who has a recent history of such poor RPI.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatch View Post
    I agree, crazy to think that we lost 2 guys that will probably start for Ohio State and Texas Tech this year and overall talent increased. Part of that too is the fact that there were 3 scholarship players out the entirety of last season (by the time Julien came back Au was done).

One other thing that I’m not sure has been posted here is Jordan Brown and Antwann Jones have been given a waiver to play immediately. What was in question there was they each transferred for a 2nd time.
    I was not aware the waivers for Brown and Jones have been granted. No surprise on Brown as his coach was fired. I was a little uncertain on Jones. Happy to hear he is good to go as well. Expect him to compete for significant playing time.

Quote Originally Posted by axg8750 View Post
    Lack of respect and relationships with other competitive programs?

Fans from other programs who are on Louisiana’s schedule are probably complaining about playing a team who has a recent history of such poor RPI.
    I don't think fans of teams we are playing on the road are complaining about having us on their schedule.

Thank you, Mike, for the explanation. I can see Dr. Maggard is aware and trying to fix the scheduling issues.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    Thank you, Mike, for the explanation. I can see Dr. Maggard is aware and trying to fix the scheduling issues.
    I am sure he and staff are both working on the situation. Still I imagine he is also disappointed in having 3 non D1 games on the schedule. Hopefully that is the last time that happens. Wonder if he will address the situation next time he does an interview.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9

Thread Information