Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Louisiana Men’s Basketball 2021-22 Non-Conference Schedule

Default Re: Louisiana Men’s Basketball 2021-22 Non-Conference Schedule

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Like Marlin, you are thinking like it's a one way street.

Schools would love to have you over so they can beat you at home and return the trip so they can beat you again.
    True if it is a 2 for 1....They not doing a 1 for 1.

2. Default Re: Louisiana Men’s Basketball 2021-22 Non-Conference Schedule

Quote Originally Posted by JMVCAJUNS View Post
    True if it is a 2 for 1....They not doing a 1 for 1.
    This program does not know how the court on or off the court.

I guarantee the right person can get one for one done again and again

This program does not know how the court on or off the court.
    We have to go for the 2 for 1 route at this point.

Like Marlin, you are thinking like it's a one way street.

Schools would love to have you over so they can beat you at home and return the trip so they can beat you again.
    I see very few home and home schedules for mid-major teams. A few, but very few. It seems that, by and large, mid-major schools play weak teams that don't cost very much and then play away games where they can make a buck.

Again, there are a few exceptions but not many.

5. Default Re: Louisiana Men’s Basketball 2021-22 Non-Conference Schedule

Quote Originally Posted by covcaj View Post
    I see very few home and home schedules for mid-major teams. A few, but very few. It seems that, by and large, mid-major schools play weak teams that don't cost very much and then play away games where they can make a buck.

Again, there are a few exceptions but not many.
    I think it often comes down to self-confidence and the ability to portray such.

I think it often comes down to self-confidence and the ability to portray such.
    I really would like someone who knows the economics of basketball scheduling to comment on this, because I don't, but I'm going to offer a scenario for discussion purposes only... Any similarity between this scenario and reality is purely coincidental....

Let's suppose that Louisiana can schedule Mt. Carmel of the Holy Word at home for $5000. It can schedule an away game with Mr. Big's School of Fat Cats, which is a P% school for $15,000. Louisiana has made $10,000 off the two games.

If it can schedule a home and home with another mid-major, would it sell an extra $10,000 worth of tickets for the home game?

I realize finances are not everything, but they are important. And, I don't know that the needle would move enough in perception to make the loss of income worth it.

I really would like someone who knows the economics of basketball scheduling to comment on this, because I don't, but I'm going to offer a scenario for discussion purposes only... Any similarity between this scenario and reality is purely coincidental....

Let's suppose that Louisiana can schedule Mt. Carmel of the Holy Word at home for $5000. It can schedule an away game with Mr. Big's School of Fat Cats, which is a P% school for $15,000. Louisiana has made $10,000 off the two games.

If it can schedule a home and home with another mid-major, would it sell an extra $10,000 worth of tickets for the home game?

I realize finances are not everything, but they are important. And, I don't know that the needle would move enough in perception to make the loss of income worth it.
    CajunMike or Vobserver who be the best bets to comment on this.

What is the univ of the Congo?

Also, honest question. Would we get enough additional ticket sales to offset what I imagine would be a higher payout to UTSA, USM, or Rice... assuming they even want to schedule us? A quick glance at those three home schedules shows pretty much the same caliber of visiting teams as Louisiana.

Could it be that, with few exceptions, mid-level basketball coaches deliberately choose a soft OOC home schedule to save money and pad the W-L statistics?
    Couple years ago we played Univ of the Virgin island and Murphy hyped them up like a power opponent...they lost to multiple D2 schools that year

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Malkinson View Post
    Couple years ago we played Univ of the Virgin island and Murphy hyped them up like a power opponent...they lost to multiple D2 schools that year
    I just don't understand the racist reference.

Racist?

How did you pull a racist comment from that... grasping at straws

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Louisiana Men’s Basketball 2021-22 Non-Conference Schedule

Buying a home game against a decent midmajor like Belmont might be 100K. A home and home should be free. Considering the OOC schedules that most mid majors in the south seem to have, it is clear to me that they just flat out dont want to play OOC road games against their peers. That is all about padding records.

Their scheduling practices have created the self-fulfilling prophecy that the SBC or CUSA is a one-bid conference. I keep pointing to the WCC, which is crap below the top 3 teams, yet they are usually a 2 bid conference, sometimes 3. Gonzaga, BYU and St. Mary ain't playing the little sisters of the poor OOC.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Malkinson View Post
    How did you pull a racist comment from that... grasping at straws
    I apologize if I misconstrued, but I don't understand the reference to University of Congo.

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    Buying a home game against a decent midmajor like Belmont might be 100K. A home and home should be free. Considering the OOC schedules that most mid majors in the south seem to have, it is clear to me that they just flat out dont want to play OOC road games against their peers. That is all about padding records.
    I agree.

I apologize if I misconstrued, but I don't understand the reference to University of Congo.
    Because it sounds like a made up team just like us Virgin Island islanders

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread Information