Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Foote: UL's Issues on Third Down may be more alarming than you think

1. UL Football Foote: UL's Issues on Third Down may be more alarming than you think

Presented without comment. Let’s see where this goes…

https://www.theadvocate.com/acadiana.0cf806ac6.html

2. Default Re: Foote: UL’s Issues on Third Down may be more alarming than you think

"The Cajuns only converted 50% or more on third down three times in 11 games last season."

Default Re: Foote: UL’s Issues on Third Down may be more alarming than you think

Well we are sitting at 33% right now. 18 for 53.

Default Re: Foote: UL’s Issues on Third Down may be more alarming than you think

I think there's a deeper dive to this.Total plays, total first downs (not by penalty or turnover), as a ratio. Sorry but I'm too stupid to figure that out.not to mention I'm f'ing off while I should be working.

The article touched on this and semi-debunked it, but I think the Cajun offense is struggling to find its identity after Mitchell/Ragas' departure. I think CBN was hoping for it to find itself plugging in a few new pieces (on the line and at RB), but may have to force the issue. I know Billy said scared money don't make money, but it seems like the way he plays LL is conservative (scared money). In a way to not allow him lose us a game, but that won't win us a big game either.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post

Actually I think it's a more than a little alarming. But the article simply documents it. Thus one of the most glaring reasons we had to come from behind in 6 games last season to win.

With 20 returning starters, a full spring and in person summer sessions, it's extremely concerning at this point that the trend continues.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post

So our 6th year senior QB is missing the little plays according to Napier. Interesting article. Foote is the only reporter worth a damn around here.

8. Default Re: Foote: UL’s Issues on Third Down may be more alarming than you think

Quote Originally Posted by cajuns80 View Post
    So our 6th year senior QB is missing the little plays according to Napier. Interesting article. Foote is the only reporter worth a damn around here.
    5th year senior.

It isn't a great stat, and there is whole lot more that needs to be determined to figure out how bad it is. What is the average distance on the 3rd downs compared to the past? How many of the failures were on poor passes, reads, bad blocking, bad play calling, or bad route running, etc?

I think it is a combination of them all obviously, but we seem to be in more 3rd and longs this season than I remember in the past. Also, quite a few of the pass attempts are for much longer than the needed yardage. Once again, bad read by LL, bad play call from BN or just poor routes, the film will show that.

My guess is that we have a very high tendency on down and distance plays, and they have been scouted and prepared for by teams.

Quote Originally Posted by cajuns80 View Post
    This is probably why our defense is gassed going into the 4th. Offense rarely sustains long drives chewing up the clock.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainman66 View Post
    My guess is that we have a very high tendency on down and distance plays, and they have been scouted and prepared for by teams.
    Yes, and when we needed it the running game was there. But we have had a change in staff at OL, injuries and a young stable of RBs that will improve as the season moves forward. They are very talented, but they lack game experience and that takes time.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    Yes, and when we needed it the running game was there. But we have had a change in staff at OL, injuries and a young stable of RBs that will improve as the season moves forward. They are very talented, but they lack game experience and that takes time.
    I think a bigger issue we have not been winning the 4th quarter.
    that was a staple of a Napier coached team and we have done it once in the last 6 games.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    Not as much last year. Ragas was stuffed on a few short yardage situations. 2019 was decent, and I think tendencies started being exploited quite a bit last season.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainman66 View Post
    Not as much last year. Ragas was stuffed on a few short yardage situations. 2019 was decent, and I think tendencies started being exploited quite a bit last season.
    Agree, the difference is last season UL had no spring and limited summer workouts. There was plenty of time to fix it this past spring and during summer sessions.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information