Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Foote: UL's Issues on Third Down may be more alarming than you think

Default Re: Foote: UL’s Issues on Third Down may be more alarming than you think

Napier also said he could be a better play caller, sounds like he is saying everyone can do betterstarting with him.

Default Re: Foote: UL’s Issues on Third Down may be more alarming than you think

Play calling also would be easier if he was more efficient on 1st and 2nd, IF he could complete the ummm easy throws.

Quote Originally Posted by JMVCAJUNS View Post
    Play calling also would be easier if he was more efficient on 1st and 2nd, IF he could complete the ummm easy throws.
    It would also help if receivers would not drop easy passes and if the linemen would block better.

The point of this is everyone has to do better including BN.

Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    Well we are sitting at 33% right now. 18 for 53.
    This is alarming. However, what is more alarming is our 3rd down percentage defense which ranks us near the very bottom in the country (ranking of 122) at 49%. What is also interesting is that South Alabama ranks tops in the country in 3rd down percentage defense which could make this a defensive contest.

Without a doubt, Napier calls out our QB. He says that we have guys open. That means we are not passing to them, who does the passing? The offense is struggling because we cannot pass the ball effectively. It wasn't great last year, but this year it's worse. A long pass here and there is great, but if you can't sustain drives, you won't win many games.

Default Re: We Need a Mascot!!

Turbine, why would you delete the thread about Foote's article?

7. Default Re: We Need a Mascot!!

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    Turbine, why would you delete the thread about Foote's article?
    Because it ceased to be a thread about Foote's article, I took a whole 2 minutes to clean it up.

Patience.

Quote Originally Posted by ULGrad@HOU View Post
    Without a doubt, Napier calls out our QB. He says that we have guys open. That means we are not passing to them, who does the passing? The offense is struggling because we cannot pass the ball effectively. It wasn't great last year, but this year it's worse. A long pass here and there is great, but if you can't sustain drives, you won't win many games.
    There are plays every game that LL can make better. I don't think anybody on this board disagrees about that. First of all, Napier was speaking more specifically about the GaSouthern game rather than every game. I'm Ok with a QB missing some plays because NOBODY makes every play in a game and he didn't hurt us with turnovers or really poor plays.

Second, I'm sorry but you are plain wrong about the passing game in general. The offense is struggling because we cannot blend the run game into some form of consistent success to help balance us out on offense and sustain drives. Again, I have argued with you enough on this board over the past year or so to know this won't change your mind but I am pointing out that I believe you have it backwards. In the times in the games where we have gone pass heavy and up tempo, the offense has scored almost every drive and often been almost too efficient taking little time off the clock while going perfect on the drive with no incompletions. The times where we have tried to go more balanced or get the run going is where we've been bogged down. We're averaging barely 4 yards per carry on runs where we were nearly double that a couple years ago. Also, of the 93 3rd down conversions, 53 of them this year have come via the passing game and only 34 from the run game or 37%. I don't really know how you can say the passing game has been the inconsistent part of the offense without looking at the running game especially since that's been our identity for so long.

There are plays every game that LL can make better. I don't think anybody on this board disagrees about that. First of all, Napier was speaking more specifically about the GaSouthern game rather than every game. I'm Ok with a QB missing some plays because NOBODY makes every play in a game and he didn't hurt us with turnovers or really poor plays.

Second, I'm sorry but you are plain wrong about the passing game in general. The offense is struggling because we cannot blend the run game into some form of consistent success to help balance us out on offense and sustain drives. Again, I have argued with you enough on this board over the past year or so to know this won't change your mind but I am pointing out that I believe you have it backwards. In the times in the games where we have gone pass heavy and up tempo, the offense has scored almost every drive and often been almost too efficient taking little time off the clock while going perfect on the drive with no incompletions. The times where we have tried to go more balanced or get the run going is where we've been bogged down. We're averaging barely 4 yards per carry on runs where we were nearly double that a couple years ago. Also, of the 93 3rd down conversions, 53 of them this year have come via the passing game and only 34 from the run game or 37%. I don't really know how you can say the passing game has been the inconsistent part of the offense without looking at the running game especially since that's been our identity for so long.
    I will agree with the fact that our running game is not what it was, and needs improvement. I just didn't speak to that because of Napier's comment on passing.
    Continuing on the running game thought, a change needs to be made as the starting RB. I have said it many times before, I like Chris Smith, he has many positives, but I don't think he should be getting the bulk of the carries. At the moment, M. Johnson looks the best to me. He can break tackles and won't go down easily.

Quote Originally Posted by ULGrad@HOU View Post
    I will agree with the fact that our running game is not what it was, and needs improvement. I just didn't speak to that because of Napier's comment on passing.
    Continuing on the running game thought, a change needs to be made as the starting RB. I have said it many times before, I like Chris Smith, he has many positives, but I don't think he should be getting the bulk of the carries. At the moment, M. Johnson looks the best to me. He can break tackles and won't go down easily.
    I never thought Chris Smith would be a high usage guy. He needs to be in that Raymond Calais role IMO. I like Montrell a lot but I'm hoping his vision improves as he'll likely get more touches moving forward as it seems he's missed on some cutback lanes but nonetheless, the running game needs to improve and the line needs to block better.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Presented without comment. Let’s see where this goes…

https://www.theadvocate.com/acadiana.0cf806ac6.html
    I think you were mistaken on your podcast about this issue. You mentioned we had 53 3rd down attempts but its actually 93. We've converted 53 of those via the pass game and only 34 for the rushing game.

I think you were mistaken on your podcast about this issue. You mentioned we had 53 3rd down attempts but its actually 93. We've converted 53 of those via the pass game and only 34 for the rushing game.
    Where are you getting the 93 attempts?

Texas 4-13
    Nicholls 5-14
    Ohio 6-12
    GaSo 3-14

That doesn’t equal 93 by my math.

Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    Where are you getting the 93 attempts?

Texas 4-13
    Nicholls 5-14
    Ohio 6-12
    GaSo 3-14

That doesn’t equal 93 by my math.
    You are right. I was looking at the number of first downs and the breakdown by run and pass. My bad.

You are right. I was looking at the number of first downs and the breakdown by run and pass. My bad.
    Either way it’s not good lol.

15. Default Re: Foote: UL’s Issues on Third Down may be more alarming than you think

Thanks for listening though

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information