Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Best bourbon varieties?

Default Re: Best bourbon varieties?

Try Walking Stick if you are a fan of Blanton's. Was told that it is the same recipe as Blanton's but is made at the Barton's Distillery in Louisville instead of Bardstown. It is not quite as smooth as Blanton's but close enough. Cost is about $46 a bottle. Haven't been able to find it in Lafayette, but it's available at Spec's in Houston

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Soldier View Post
    Any take on Sazerac Rye my buddy want me to bring him a bottle to Charlotte next month is it good should I buy me a bottle also? Going to New Orleans next week to get it or can I find it locally in Lafayette?
    You can find that pretty much anywhere. It runs around 20 to 26 dollars a bottle. It's at wal mart Albertson's or any liquor place

Any take on Sazerac Rye my buddy want me to bring him a bottle to Charlotte next month is it good should I buy me a bottle also? Going to New Orleans next week to get it or can I find it locally in Lafayette?
    Go to Rouses, last time I was there it was $18 a bottle. If you are driving, do yourself and your friend a favor, buy the 1.75 L for $34. Then buy one for yourself, you won't be disappointed.

I am sure the thread title using "bourbon" is trying to use the generic term whiskey. If that is not the case, Whistle Pig, Sazerac, and some of the Angel's Envy are not bourbons. Crown Royal, by law, cannot be called a bourbon, it is a Canadian Whiskey, very different from American whiskies. Canadian whiskies are general sweeter because of the different corn they use, and generally speaking, they use more corn.

VO is correct in that Ezra Brooks is a great starter bourbon. However, Ezra Brooks has a new one out that is a little more expensive, $19, but it is 99 proof.

If you are mixing with anything that is sweet, (Coke, Pepsi, Sprite/7 up, etc.), do yourself a favor and just get a bottle of Jim Beam or Jack Daniels. While Jack Daniels is technically a bourbon, it is a Tennessee Whiskey, which has one added stepped than bourbon.

You can find it for less than 20 per bottle at Total Wine. I love Sazerac in an old fashioned. I'm less excited about it when drinking it neat.

Quote Originally Posted by MelRock View Post
    I am sure the thread title using "bourbon" is trying to use the generic term whiskey. If that is not the case, Whistle Pig, Sazerac, and some of the Angel's Envy are not bourbons. Crown Royal, by law, cannot be called a bourbon, it is a Canadian Whiskey, very different from American whiskies. Canadian whiskies are general sweeter because of the different corn they use, and generally speaking, they use more corn.

VO is correct in that Ezra Brooks is a great starter bourbon. However, Ezra Brooks has a new one out that is a little more expensive, $19, but it is 99 proof.

If you are mixing with anything that is sweet, (Coke, Pepsi, Sprite/7 up, etc.), do yourself a favor and just get a bottle of Jim Beam or Jack Daniels. While Jack Daniels is technically a bourbon, it is a Tennessee Whiskey, which has one added stepped than bourbon.
    Very correct on the term bourbon. The mash bill and oak barrels are well stated. However Whistle pig and Angels Envy are outstanding.. instant happiness ��

Quote Originally Posted by angeleast View Post
    You can find that pretty much anywhere. It runs around 20 to 26 dollars a bottle. It's at wal mart Albertson's or any liquor place
    Thank you

Readily available at Super 1 and other places too I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by angeleast View Post
    Very correct on the term bourbon. The mash bill and oak barrels are well stated. However Whistle pig and Angels Envy are outstanding.. instant happiness ��
    Yes, both can be good, but if someone is asking for bourbon, I am assuming that is the flavor profile they prefer. Nothing wrong with other suggestions, but people generally like a certain profile. Rye is much more spice forward than bourbon.

Nothing wrong with anyone's picks. If you like something, go for it!

Quote Originally Posted by MelRock View Post
    Yes, both can be good, but if someone is asking for bourbon, I am assuming that is the flavor profile they prefer. Nothing wrong with other suggestions, but people generally like a certain profile. Rye is much more spice forward than bourbon.

Nothing wrong with anyone's picks. If you like something, go for it!
    I bought some Whistle pig rye today. Man it makes a great old fashion.

For bourbon lovers tune in to Implicit Biased on KPEL 96.5 on Saturdays from 10am-Noon as we sample a weekly whiskey and rate it. Great conversations!

Past episodes on Apple Podcast and Spotify (can listen to these anytime)

Quote Originally Posted by mtrammell17 View Post
    For bourbon lovers tune in to Implicit Biased on KPEL 96.5 on Saturdays from 10am-Noon as we sample a weekly whiskey and rate it. Great conversations!
    Thanks for info. Hell of a job if you can find it lol

Crittenden BIB 4 year came out this week, its made in Kiln MS and it is a nice pour if you can find it

Saw a bottle of Kentucky Owl today. It is bottled in Lacassine, LA.

15. Default Re: Best bourbon varieties?

Quote Originally Posted by gorcajun View Post
    Saw a bottle of Kentucky Owl today. It is bottled in Lacassine, LA.
    Trying to wrap my head around that one.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information