Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: All he does is win.

Default Re: All he does is win.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunSaint08 View Post
    Brian Mitchell was better than "pretty good" when it came to passing. His freshman year, he split time with another true freshman, Richard Panell, who was a true drop back passer. Panell was very good and was recruited to be the Payton Manning of our Ragin Cajuns. Mitchell was a horrible passer his freshman year, but could run like the wind. Brian Mitchell was the first true Michael Vick of his time.

Even though he was a so-so passer, he provided a spark like no other when he was on the field his freshman year. During the off season between his freshman and sophomore year, he worked and honed his passing abilities, plus worked out in the weight room. He was by far the strongest man in the weight room. Coaches had to actually throw him out the weight room because he was a beast that wouldn't quit. He improved so much between his freshman and sophomore year that he won the QB position out right. And the rest is as you say history.

Panell left after his sophomore year. Not sure where he ended up. He really was a great passing QB but Brian Mitchell was a legend in the making that changed the game.
    Didn't he shred his knee? I remember him not being able to play afterwards

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    …….I was recruiting NO and St Aug and knew the Catholic district well as I coached at Jesuit 2 years before….I signed Abadie, Lation,Williams, Moseby, and got Roy back from ND….Slick can add some that came later but Gerald Johnson, Ronnie Bo, Cookie, G-Joe Joseph…….I thought the best guy I signed from there was Donald Tibbs outstanding player/lineman in the state…..got a call from Otis Washington and said that he thought it best that he would go to Tenn St because of academic reasons…..saw many a St Aug film at my parents house in NO on recruiting trips
    Boom, what about Ron Irving?

Quote Originally Posted by Duggie35 View Post
    Roy Henry was a great QB. His greatness was primarily due to the severe amount of pressure that was put on him by the back-up QB at the time!!!! LOL!!!!
    He told me a few years ago that he had to keep up with me during class time with Zeno. He knew I had studied the gameplan and knew what Coach wanted to hear. I couldn't hold a candle to his physical skills/ability. I could hand-off with the best of them! LOL!

IMO, he was easily the most gifted QB this university every had. I know that sounds like just an old teammate taking up for his era, but Roy was special. I was going to hold off, but I'll add more in a new post below.

Agree on Henry. Amazing passer, cool under pressure. Understand why ND signed him.

5. Default Re: All he does is win.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunSaint08 View Post
    Brian Mitchell was better than "pretty good" when it came to passing. His freshman year, he split time with another true freshman, Richard Panell, who was a true drop back passer. Panell was very good and was recruited to be the Payton Manning of our Ragin Cajuns. Mitchell was a horrible passer his freshman year, but could run like the wind. Brian Mitchell was the first true Michael Vick of his time.

Even though he was a so-so passer, he provided a spark like no other when he was on the field his freshman year. During the off season between his freshman and sophomore year, he worked and honed his passing abilities, plus worked out in the weight room. He was by far the strongest man in the weight room. Coaches had to actually throw him out the weight room because he was a beast that wouldn't quit. He improved so much between his freshman and sophomore year that he won the QB position out right. And the rest is as you say history.

Panell left after his sophomore year. Not sure where he ended up. He really was a great passing QB but Brian Mitchell was a legend in the making that changed the game.
    Brian would have been twice the passer he was, if he wasn't allowed to run.

He wouldn't have been nearly as productive overall though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob81 View Post
    If you think Levi is starting for any other reason than being the best chance to win then this discussion is pointless.
    LL has 2 things going for him. 1. He is a leader. 2. Most times he does not hurt you.

LL rarely will take control, put the team on his back and make things happen. Coach is staying with what he knows because of #2. Fields will make mistakes. LL still makes way more than he should for being so experienced. I think Fields will be a better QB when he is under center full time.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingCajun08 View Post
    LL has 2 things going for him. 1. He is a leader. 2. Most times he does not hurt you.

LL rarely will take control, put the team on his back and make things happen. Coach is staying with what he knows because of #2. Fields will make mistakes. LL still makes way more than he should for being so experienced. I think Fields will be a better QB when he is under center full time.
    Once again someone needs to explain to me what putting a team on your back means as a QB?? Like throw the ball deep to himself. Then catch it break 5 tackles and run for a touchdown?? The QB touches the ball every play and runs the offense. He can’t make the line block or the receivers get open or the rbs find a hole if any. I just don’t understand the comment. It’s not like basketball where you give a guy the ball every possession and let him try to score. Or a pitcher throwing a no hitter. Or a hitter going 5 for 5 with 2 HRs.

And if you mean run like Scott did. Our defense gave Scott the middle all night. To the point that I lost my voice.Nichols didn’t give Levi that kind of open field to run.

8. Default Re: All he does is win.

The appearance of an open field to run often disappears if not taken advantage of.

Scott looked to #5. When he wasn’t open Scott took off. It’s not Levi’s job to immediately look for the running lanes it’s his job to go through his progressions and get it to the check down if possible. If he could run 10 yards up the middle all night I’m sure he would have taken advantage of it. It wasn’t there.

The concern Saturday should be with the running game and why the defense didn’t adjust to defending the middle.

Once again someone needs to explain to me what putting a team on your back means as a QB?? Like throw the ball deep to himself. Then catch it break 5 tackles and run for a touchdown?? The QB touches the ball every play and runs the offense. He can’t make the line block or the receivers get open or the rbs find a hole if any. I just don’t understand the comment. It’s not like basketball where you give a guy the ball every possession and let him try to score. Or a pitcher throwing a no hitter. Or a hitter going 5 for 5 with 2 HRs.

And if you mean run like Scott did. Our defense gave Scott the middle all night. To the point that I lost my voice.Nichols didn’t give Levi that kind of open field to run.
    Guys like McCall and Hatcher who just take over a game who are a threat to take the top off you . No one respects our passing attack why they stack 9 guys in the box and dare us to throw.

Quote Originally Posted by angeleast View Post
    Didn't he shred his knee? I remember him not being able to play afterwards
    I wonder if we have a distorted memory of Richard Parell. I only saw the little bit he played in 1988, but look at his college numbers.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb...pannell-1.html

108 competitions on 246 attempts for 1331 yards. 3 TD's and 14 Int's. a complettion rate of 43.9%. Not what I would call stellar.

Hatcher will throw 10-12 deep balls in a game and complete 3. Levi throws 5 and completed 3 Saturday. Both offensive TDs were deep balls. One in stride and one 50/50 ball.

Scott looked to #5. When he wasn’t open Scott took off. It’s not Levi’s job to immediately look for the running lanes it’s his job to go through his progressions and get it to the check down if possible. If he could run 10 yards up the middle all night I’m sure he would have taken advantage of it. It wasn’t there.

The concern Saturday should be with the running game and why the defense didn’t adjust to defending the middle.
    Levi doesn’t get to his 3rd progression. If he did we would have destroyed Nicholls. The middle of the field was wide open all night. All fircken night.

Plus if Levi was a better passing QB he would have been 24/33 instead of 19/33. He threw some absolutely terrible passes. He did throw some dimes too. But Levi doesn’t deal with more than 1 or 2 drops per game and he only throws the ball away maybe once a game.

What Levi does well is not turn the ball over. Prior to this season he kept the chains moving. If he does that the rest of the year we will be 9-3 or 10-2.

It’s not a matter of arm strength. Levi can chunk it. And his completion Percentage on deep balls isn’t bad. The play call has to be made. And it’s not about being gun shy. He’ll throw the 50/50 ball all day is that’s what’s called.

Scott was praised for his performance. He didn’t get to his 2nd read all night. But ran for 120 because our defense never adjusted.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread Information