Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: All he does is win.

Default Re: All he does is win.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    For those who never saw Roy Henry ...

Go to YouTube search "Spirit of 76 Louisiana"

Once you get past the shaky start of the film you get to see Roy Henry in action.

One of the reasons his completions were lower than some is because they took a ton of shots down field.
    Yes.. Henry was a talented Qb.. his. 10 yard explosive speed was legendary.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    Any discussion with the board bully is pointless. Don’t you know that already?
    You’re correct. I only get into disputes on here when I’m defending a student athlete or athletes. Levi in particular I think is hilarious considering what he’s already given to this school that we’ve never seen before.

Like old men telling stories about the good old days and how good blah blah blah used to be. In 20 years they’ll be arguing how much better Levi was then joe blow in 2041. Haha.

3. Default Re: All he does is win.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Brian Mitchell's last 3 plays in the NFL were at quarterback.

Trivia question.
    ……and his passing yardage did not count in his total yardage…..that is the rule!

Roy Henry was a beast. The big thing to consider with regard to completion percentage and TD/INT ratio is that when Henry played receivers were fair game until the ball was in the air. Running routes in traffic was a death wish. There was no such thing as targeting or personal fouls for hitting defenseless players. Safeties and even corners at every level of play were head hunters. Also holding rules for offensive linemen were very different; things that are considered good blocking form today were holding then. Quarterbacks and receivers today could just as well be playing flag football.

Quote Originally Posted by SlickRick View Post
    You don't know what you're talking about because if you had seen Roy play, got wouldn't have made that post.
    Hmmmm, a former UL QB who has seen them ALL play has spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    Roy Henry was a beast. The big thing to consider with regard to completion percentage and TD/INT ratio is that when Henry played receivers were fair game until the ball was in the air. Running routes in traffic was a death wish. There was no such thing as targeting or personal fouls for hitting defenseless players. Safeties and even corners at every level of play were head hunters. Also holding rules for offensive linemen were very different; things that are considered good blocking form today were holding then. Quarterbacks and receivers today could just as well be playing flag football.
    I remember him well. Great QB. Wasn't he a Notre Dame transfer? Who was the great receiver that played with him?

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    I remember him well. Great QB. Wasn't he a Notre Dame transfer? Who was the great receiver that played with him?
    Yes, he was from St. Aug in New Orleans. Went to Notre Dame, then UL. Receiver IIRC was Dave Oliver.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainman66 View Post
    Hmmmm, a former UL QB who has seen them ALL play has spoken.
    Slick is the man!

There has got to be a way to honor Roy Henry...He was "Magic", man...

Found some old St. Aug video...https://www.facebook.com/23854300960...8608592635820/

10. Default Re: All he does is win.

Roy Henry all up in this video.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bPYy0rQaK70

Quote Originally Posted by SlickRick View Post
    You don't know what you're talking about because if you had seen Roy play, got wouldn't have made that post.
    Roy Henry was a great QB. His greatness was primarily due to the severe amount of pressure that was put on him by the back-up QB at the time!!!! LOL!!!!

12. Default Re: All he does is win.

Quote Originally Posted by fanof71 View Post
    There has got to be a way to honor Roy Henry...He was "Magic", man...

Found some old St. Aug video...https://www.facebook.com/23854300960...8608592635820/
    …….I was recruiting NO and St Aug and knew the Catholic district well as I coached at Jesuit 2 years before….I signed Abadie, Lation,Williams, Moseby, and got Roy back from ND….Slick can add some that came later but Gerald Johnson, Ronnie Bo, Cookie, G-Joe Joseph…….I thought the best guy I signed from there was Donald Tibbs outstanding player/lineman in the state…..got a call from Otis Washington and said that he thought it best that he would go to Tenn St because of academic reasons…..saw many a St Aug film at my parents house in NO on recruiting trips

Quote Originally Posted by Rainman66 View Post
    He was great, but he was not a beast throwing, he was pretty good.
    Brian Mitchell was better than "pretty good" when it came to passing. His freshman year, he split time with another true freshman, Richard Panell, who was a true drop back passer. Panell was very good and was recruited to be the Payton Manning of our Ragin Cajuns. Mitchell was a horrible passer his freshman year, but could run like the wind. Brian Mitchell was the first true Michael Vick of his time.

Even though he was a so-so passer, he provided a spark like no other when he was on the field his freshman year. During the off season between his freshman and sophomore year, he worked and honed his passing abilities, plus worked out in the weight room. He was by far the strongest man in the weight room. Coaches had to actually throw him out the weight room because he was a beast that wouldn't quit. He improved so much between his freshman and sophomore year that he won the QB position out right. And the rest is as you say history.

Panell left after his sophomore year. Not sure where he ended up. He really was a great passing QB but Brian Mitchell was a legend in the making that changed the game.

Roy Henry was a beast. He played in an era that would be nothing but penalties today. And he also played in front of a full stadium full of both fans and students. Those were great times. Roy Henry is a QB that could actually play in any era. He was that good.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunSaint08 View Post
    Brian Mitchell was better than "pretty good" when it came to passing. His freshman year, he split time with another true freshman, Richard Panell, who was a true drop back passer. Panell was very good and was recruited to be the Payton Manning of our Ragin Cajuns. Mitchell was a horrible passer his freshman year, but could run like the wind. Brian Mitchell was the first true Michael Vick of his time.

Even though he was a so-so passer, he provided a spark like no other when he was on the field his freshman year. During the off season between his freshman and sophomore year, he worked and honed his passing abilities, plus worked out in the weight room. He was by far the strongest man in the weight room. Coaches had to actually throw him out the weight room because he was a beast that wouldn't quit. He improved so much between his freshman and sophomore year that he won the QB position out right. And the rest is as you say history.

Panell left after his sophomore year. Not sure where he ended up. He really was a great passing QB but Brian Mitchell was a legend in the making that changed the game.
    Richard panell had a great game vs Oklahoma state. He would tuck it and run and gave their defense fits

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread Information