Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: In Search of Band Eye Coordination with the PA system

Default Re: Band Thread Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by bbhstiger5 View Post
    I bet all the women line up for that..

As soon as they clock out from their shift at the Exxon.
    You’d be surprised

Default Re: Band Thread Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by MDMullet8 View Post
    You’d be surprised
    I tried to tell him.

Default Re: In Search of Band Eye Coordination with the PA system

As an ex-marching band member, watching the game last night on tv, I feel the band embarrassed themselves.

There were 18 first downs. That means they played the eight same measures from the song "Cornbread" 18 times.

Then eight measures of the fight song after second down. That's all they played.

I'm sure if you were in attendance, you got sick of hearing them. It all sounded like a broken record.

I said it before and I'll say it again, whoever is the director of bands should be fired.

Speaking of the band. It looked like the band has gotten wayyyyy smaller. I noticed it at halftime and then when they went up to the stands you could tell they weren't nearly as full as years past

Quote Originally Posted by Hudsheen#Fired View Post
    Speaking of the band. It looked like the band has gotten wayyyyy smaller. I noticed it at halftime and then when they went up to the stands you could tell they weren't nearly as full as years past
    But, But, but, they didn't play some stupid show tunes or a tribute to Liza Minelli. They came out with a Journey tribute. At least that thought is headed in the right direction...

Quote Originally Posted by fanof71 View Post
    But, But, but, they didn't play some stupid show tunes or a tribute to Liza Minelli. They came out with a Journey tribute. At least that thought is headed in the right direction...
    They definitely played some Classic Rock…which is a plus!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Buds View Post
    They definitely played some Classic Rock…which is a plus!
    They played "school's out for summer"
    Sounded cool , but it's the fall and middle of school year.....on a school night

I like the effort but come on man

On the PA front, they brought back the bass (good) and dialed down the volume of the PA announcer. Good job there. Hopefully the issues with the scoreboard cutting out can get fixed before homecoming

The Pride of Louisiana Marching Band is a significant part of the pageantry of college football. So are the traditional repetitive songs in between plays. All schools do this. I enjoy them and wish they would display the cheer words on the Jumbotron for fans to learn them and interact with the game. Cheerleaders can only do so much. The band play many fan favorites during TV time outs.

It’s the fans job to support the team, band, and cheerleaders to create the best game day experience. This is how we build our fan base and brand. What about including the fight song words on the Jumbotron and encourage fans to sing them?

Quote Originally Posted by SMD7636 View Post
    The Pride of Louisiana Marching Band is a significant part of the pageantry of college football. So are the traditional repetitive songs in between plays. All schools do this. I enjoy them and wish they would display the cheer words on the Jumbotron for fans to learn them and interact with the game. Cheerleaders can only do so much. The band play many fan favorites during TV time outs.

It’s the fans job to support the team, band, and cheerleaders to create the best game day experience. This is how we build our fan base and brand. What about including the fight song words on the Jumbotron and encourage fans to sing them?
    So, where in the band rulebook does it say a band has to play the same song after first down, and second down?

In all fairness, you don't get to hear what's being played in timeouts on TV. So, if you live like in Oklahoma, you're thinking this band knows two songs. And that's it.

Here's words to the "cheer" song after first down. "Give him cornbread. What you gonna give him? I want to know." That's all the lyrics in the song. So, sing your heart out!

Quote Originally Posted by Hudsheen#Fired View Post
    COVID has knocked band numbers way down in high school and college. They keep numbers up at some colleges by having "non playing" members on the field. aTm is notorious for that. You can tell who they are. Brass players have no mouth piece and reed players have no ligatures. It's pretty obvious if you know what to look for.

Quote Originally Posted by roarman View Post
    So, where in the band rulebook does it say a band has to play the same song after first down, and second down?

In all fairness, you don't get to hear what's being played in timeouts on TV. So, if you live like in Oklahoma, you're thinking this band knows two songs. And that's it.

Here's words to the "cheer" song after first down. "Give him cornbread. What you gonna give him? I want to know." That's all the lyrics in the song. So, sing your heart out!
    I didn’t respond to your post to create an argument between fans just to share my different opinion as an alumni, who attends games. I would appreciate if you save your sarcasm. Their is a difference between song lyrics and cheer words during the songs. I am too happy with the outcome of the game to argue. Let’s come together against the competition not each other.

I didn’t respond to your post to create an argument between fans just to share my different opinion as an alumni, who attends games. I would appreciate if you save your sarcasm. Their is a difference between song lyrics and cheer words during the songs. I am too happy with the outcome of the game to argue. Let’s come together against the competition not each other.
    I agree. I just want the band to get better. Hearing the same song over and over and over and over again is monotonous. I know they can do better. But somebody just doesn't want to put out the effort. And I think that's unfortunate.

My 2 cents. I only know Roarman and SMD3636 seems to be a respectable poster as I don't know him. I know Roarman isn't trying to pick a fight. He has an extensive background in playing many instruments as well as singing in bands. He is just saying their can be some improvement made in song selections, etc. He is one of the good guys who knows entertainment and loves the university. He is also pretty good at softball. Go Cajuns.

Quote Originally Posted by JMVCAJUNS View Post
    My 2 cents. I only know Roarman and SMD3636 seems to be a respectable poster as I don't know him. I know Roarman isn't trying to pick a fight. He has an extensive background in playing many instruments as well as singing in bands. He is just saying their can be some improvement made in song selections, etc. He is one of the good guys who knows entertainment and loves the university. He is also pretty good at softball. Go Cajuns.
    Thanks. I'd just like for the in-game experience to be the best it can possibly be. I don't think the band puts out much of an effort.

Quote Originally Posted by roarman View Post
    Thanks. I'd just like for the in-game experience to be the best it can possibly be. I don't think the band puts out much of an effort.
    Band leadership is the issue.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information