Page 2 of 44 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 12 ... LastLast

Thread: FB Final: Louisiana 27, Nicholls State 24

Default Re: Week 2: On to Nicholls St

Coach Napier is due a HUGE pay day if he can lead a HUGE historical season, especially if it's one even better than last year.

With that opportunity looming, anyone really believe he would not start and play whichever QB on the roster he, in both his head and his heart, truly felt gave our team a change to win every game?

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunrunner View Post
    Coach Napier is due a HUGE pay day if he can lead a HUGE historical season, especially if it's one even better than last year.

With that opportunity looming, anyone really believe he would not start and play whichever QB on the roster he, in both his head and his heart, truly felt gave our team a change to win every game?
    You wouldn’t think so but sometimes it’s hard to watch our offense and then say that Levi Lewis is the best option we have.

You guys are crazy if you think I want Fields in as the starter over Levi with this team. But I 109% want Chandler Fields to get several series in a row to develop a game rhythm and live game speed experience.

Because if Levi goes down against any of the middle to upper tier SBC programs without meaningful experience we are in trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    You guys are crazy if you think I want Fields in as the starter over Levi with this team. But I 109% want Chandler Fields to get several series in a row to develop a game rhythm and live game speed experience.

Because if Levi goes down against any of the middle to upper tier SBC programs without meaningful experience we are in trouble.
    Agree with this. I'm hoping by some point mid 3rd Q we have a comfortable enough lead that Chandler can get some snaps in with a playbook more open than runs to eat the clock. He does need the experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunrunner View Post
    Agree with this. I'm hoping by some point mid 3rd Q we have a comfortable enough lead that Chandler can get some snaps in with a playbook more open than runs to eat the clock. He does need the experience.
    That would be great. But I don't think it happens earlier than the 4th quarter.

Well if we're in a position to put in any backup QB I wish they get some meaningful plays not just turning around and handing off. Whoever Napier goes with I just want to win not going to second guess him after the Texas game. I had my 24 hours of venting now I just want to win the rest of the games. GEAUX CAJUNS

Just like last year, and again this year, it continues to baffle me that our former QB Coach, which I really like and want to keep as our Coach, could not recruit and start a higher performing QB to this date. It makes no sense and is very frustrating. For those that hate to hear something that is critical, just remember, every coach has some flaws, this to me, is ours.

Quote Originally Posted by ULGrad@HOU View Post
    Just like last year, and again this year, it continues to baffle me that our former QB Coach, which I really like and want to keep as our Coach, could not recruit and start a higher performing QB to this date. It makes no sense and is very frustrating. For those that hate to hear something that is critical, just remember, every coach has some flaws, this to me, is ours.
    Same reason Payton wanted to move his best gadget player on the team to play Qb. The entire sports community knew Hill could never be a NFL QB.
    Some coaches fall in love with the player and not the ability.

9. Default Re: Week 2: On to Nicholls St

It is unbelievable how many posters here do not like our coach to play a winner.

Nichols hung with Georgia and Texas a&m under rebowe. They definitely have football players and are well coached. We should handle them, but I expect a game for a half at least.

Georgia 26 Nichols 24
    A&M 24 Nichols 17

Also beat Kansas in 2018. I know it’s Kansas but it’s a p5 win.

Trust Napier. Enough said. Cajuns beat Nicholls by a few TDs

13. Default Ragin' Dave's Nicholls State Preview

On to Nicholls, no time to waste.

This is a very good FCS team, coming off a weird Covid season where they went 4-3, including starting the season 3-0, but lost 3 of their last 4 vs some pretty good teams including #12 Sam Houston, #13 UIW (where they won) and losses to McNeese and #23 SLU. They are coming off a loss to Memphis 42-17 and Memphis is a pretty good team.

I am going to jump right into it at QB, they have a really good one. For those of you that are history buffs. Lindsay Scott Jr is their QB. Lindsay Scott started his career at LSU and transferred to EMCC and then to Missouri. My personal opinion is that Lindsay could be a really good player at another position at an FBS school. But he wants to play QB and at QB he is doing it where he needs to be at a really good FCS school. Scott is not a very big kid, he is listed at 5'11 220 lbs. He is a really good runner and a pretty good passer of the football. His backup is Kohen Granier, but we shouldn't see much of him unless this is a blowout. Lindsay's strength is running the ball and we are going to have to contain him, he is that good as a runner, in fact Scott was their leading rusher last season and may be again this year. They return a ton of players from last year, including 11 on offense and 9 on defense and all of their special teams guys.

RB--At running back, their main guy is Julien Gums, he was a 2nd team All SLC player last year. He rushed for 467 yards and 5.1 yards per carry average last year. Running the ball, it will be Gums or Scott. They do have a couple of backs behind Gums, but Gums is going to going to get the majority of the carries, he is a veteran. In fact vs Memphis Gums had 13 carries and Scott had 7. They carried the ball 28 times and those two guys carried 20 of those 28 carries.

WR--The main guy is Dai'Jean Dixon, he had a big game vs Memphis including 7 receptions for 107 yards. He was their returning main guy last year and their #2 guy is KJ Franklin who had a pretty good game as well with 5 receptions for 38 yards and a TD. They also have a couple of other veteran receivers behind them including Dontaze Costly. Those 3 guys were all ALL SLC players including two 1st teamers and 1 3rd teamer.

OL--On the OL they will return everyone from the Spring, including 3 ALL SLC players on the line and one of those being an ALL American last year. Their LG is the best, he is PJ Burkhalter. But they have 2 other guys one at C in Evan Rousell and RT Jair Joseph. The other 2 are returners in RG Mikhail Hill and LT Mark Barthelemy. Hill is a transfer from Memphis.

Nicholls biggest problem last year was on Defense and I think it will be again this year. They gave up tons of points last year including 72 to Sam Houston and 52 to SLU as well as 45 to McNeese, who was not good. They do return 9 of their players from last year on Defense but had only 1 ALL SLC Player and he was in the backfield.

DL--They return 3 players from the D-Line including Glen Thurmond, Percy Ganci and Myles Vigne. Ganci was their best up front, he returns from a season where he had 17 total tackles including 2.5 TFL. They struggle up front and we should be able to run effectively against them. That is where we need to hit them in the mouth to open up the running game. Zach Bernard is a Freshman from Mandeville who played well against Memphis so he might be a bright spot for them.

LB--They return 2 LB's from last years team and 1 of the is pretty good. Hayden Shaheen was the 2nd leading tackler last year and was one of leading tacklers in the Memphis game last week. The other guy is Ty'Ree Evans he was the 3rd leading tackler last season. The other player to keep an eye on is Elijah Reames at LB a Sophomore from Catholic High in Baton Rouge. He had a fairly good game vs Memphis.

They are better in the backend then the front 7 as they return everyone from last year at starter. Including 1st Team ALL SLC Safety Kevin Moore, who was the leading tackler last week for them. He is a good one. The other guys are Jarius Monroe and Malik Woodery at CB and finally Jordan Jackson at Safety. That being said, they did get good contributions from a number of guys who were not starters last year in Kevin Jackson and Zach Bernard. Memphis rushed for 322 yards vs NSU, and 265 through the air. They are better against the pass, but that is not saying much as they are horrendous vs the run.

Special Teams--They do return everyone from last year at ST. Including a transfer punter from ULM, but he has not been very good and was not good vs Memphis as he averaged only 37.2 yards per punt on 6 punts including a long of 45 and only 1 inside the 20. Their placekicker is Gavin Lasserigne, he was 6-7 last year on FG and has started this year 1-1. But his long was only 31 years last year and only 35 for his career. David Robinson is their Kick Returner, he had 3 vs Memphis but a long of only 23. Memphis did not punt at all vs NSU on Saturday.

The Cajuns are going to get a chance to run the ball vs Nicholls and control the clock, which should open up the offense for Levi to throw the ball down the field. NSU is not very good stopping the run so we need to get our young RB's some carries and confidence.

Coaching Staff--Well this has serious UL flavor. As almost every coach they have spent some time with the Cajuns. Obviously we all know HC Tim Rebowe and the time he spent with the Cajuns. He has done a great job at Nicholls and we/I wish him more success in the future, just not Saturday. The OC is a familiar name as well in Rob Chrisophel. Christophel spent 5 years with the Cajuns from 2001-2006. The DC is Tommy Rybacki who spent 2011-2013 on the Cajuns staff. The others that spent time with the Cajuns are DL Coach Marquase Lovings, WR Coach Sean Murphy, who was a Grad Assistant at UL, Cornerbacks Coach Lionel Stokes who played for the Cajuns and Safeties Coach Brian Wallace who coached with the Cajuns from 2009-2011.

Default Re: Ragin' Dave's Nicholls State Preview

Dave- great review.

1 point of clarification regarding Lindsey Scott Jr, his dad played at Baker High School and Southern University. He later played in the CFL for 2 seasons and is now an attorney in Baton Rouge area

The Lindsay Scott that played at UGA and Saints is someone else.

15. Default Re: Ragin' Dave's Nicholls State Preview

Quote Originally Posted by facelessjonmoon View Post
    Dave- great review.

1 point of clarification regarding Lindsey Scott Jr, his dad played at Baker High School and Southern University. He later played in the CFL for 2 seasons and is now an attorney in Baton Rouge area

The Lindsay Scott that played at UGA and Saints is someone else.
    Thanks, I was not aware of that. I appreciate the heads up.

Page 2 of 44 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 12 ... LastLast

Thread Information