Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Podcast: Dr. Bryan Maggard (9-10-21)

Default Re: Podcast: Dr. Bryan Maggard (9-10-21)

Quote Originally Posted by JayWalker View Post
    I don't know what the Sun Belt plans are. I do remember that solidarity was a word used in the past by Sun Belt AD's. That was about four days before Western Kentucky blindsided everyone by announcing they were leaving.

If I had to make a guess as to potential invitees, I'd name four schools: UTSA (who is about to be the football power in CUSA), Southern Miss (good brand and geography...plus I think they'd jump at the chance), Marshall (if the league wants to expand East....again) and one FCS move up: James Madison who was mentioned just before Coastal was added. (Softball fans would love this one.)

But I'm making the assumption the Sun Belt wants to raid CUSA.
    Those 4 picks are actually good picks for branding. Since the 3 schools (UCF, Houston, and Cincinnati) left the AAC yesterday, Memphis has now come up as an additional candidate for Big 12 expansion. That's where it gets interesting. And this is where I (can't believe I am doing this) tip my hat off to the Sun Belt IF they are able to make this work.

The real question comes now: Where does Aresco go? Does he go after the big market (Charlotte, Georgia St, etc.) or teams with recent solid on-field success (Coastal, UL, App)?

I'm excited to see where this thing goes. I just hope we are in the conversation.

If the SBC can add a team or two from CUSA and/or the AAC, that alone would do wonders to enhance the status and perception of the Sun Belt.

I like the idea of adding James Madison. Seem to be an up-and-coming school as far as sports go. Have a very nice football stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by Duggie35 View Post
    If the SBC can add a team or two from CUSA and/or the AAC, that alone would do wonders to enhance the status and perception of the Sun Belt.
    Do not be the step up conference this time. That’s how you break perception...by not being who people perceive you are based on past behavior.

Gosh almighty, it’s crazy. Be the hunter!

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    Do not be the step up conference this time. That’s how you break perception...by not being who people perceive you are based on past behavior.

Gosh almighty, it’s crazy. Be the hunter!
    We all bashed the FCS call ups as they were added because our egos were hurt.

Georgia Southern won the Sun Belt their first year in the league.
    App has won or shared every title after that til last year.
    CCU is good.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    I heard (cant remember when) the Sunbelt will at "some point in time" make a play for UNT, Middle Tennessee, FAU, FIU and Western Kentucky.

Mark it down.
    Yeah, NO!

7. Default Re: Podcast: Dr. Bryan Maggard (9-10-21)

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    I heard (cant remember when) the Sunbelt will at "some point in time" make a play for UNT, Middle Tennessee, FAU, FIU and Western Kentucky.

Mark it down.
    I just remembered when. It was 9 to 18 years ago

There are too many scenarios and possibilities and moving parts. I just hope UL lands in a very positive position for fans and for the best possible national exposure.

Were about to find out if Commissioner Gill is Tarzan or Jane.

Quote Originally Posted by ULvictory View Post
    Those 4 picks are actually good picks for branding. Since the 3 schools (UCF, Houston, and Cincinnati) left the AAC yesterday, Memphis has now come up as an additional candidate for Big 12 expansion. That's where it gets interesting. And this is where I (can't believe I am doing this) tip my hat off to the Sun Belt IF they are able to make this work.

The real question comes now: Where does Aresco go? Does he go after the big market (Charlotte, Georgia St, etc.) or teams with recent solid on-field success (Coastal, UL, App)?

I'm excited to see where this thing goes. I just hope we are in the conversation.
    This podcast has me concerned. Dr Maggard earlier said he was not applying to any conference and would let the university stand on its own merits (paraphrasing). Some said that is just a statement he had to make but was behind the scenes being proactive.

In the podcast, he pretty much repeated the same thing, announced solidarity with the SBC, said that without the 3 AAC schools who left for the Big 12, the SBC is a better conference and would be adding 2 or 4 teams. Doesn't sound to me that he has any interest in the AAC.

But, the AAC will move to strengthen itself. What happens if the AAC picks up, say App State and Coastal plus UAB, Marshall and UTSA? What are we then left with? The best of both the SBC and CUSA will be gone sans UL. Who will the SBC add, another FCS startup? Will we be left at the alter yet again? I hope this is just AD speak and more is being done, but with those kind of statements by our AD, I am losing confidence any move will be made by UL to better ourselves. Can I get a post from someone in the know that UL is still being proactive in pursuing all options, keeping our hopes alive?

11. Default Re: Podcast: Dr. Bryan Maggard (9-10-21)

Quote Originally Posted by Geaux View Post
    Were about to find out if Commissioner Gill is Tarzan or Jane.
    I was thinking we were about to find out if Gill was igan

Quote Originally Posted by JayWalker View Post
    We all bashed the FCS call ups as they were added because our egos were hurt.

Georgia Southern won the Sun Belt their first year in the league.
    App has won or shared every title after that til last year.
    CCU is good.
    And yet, it’s how the SBC is viewed…the bottom of the G5 entry level.

And don’t forget Texas State, Idaho, NMSU and ULM. How’s that worked out? They were hunting for landing spots and the SBC obliged. We’ve broken the doormat stigma…don’t go back.

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    And yet, it’s how the SBC is viewed…the bottom of the G5 entry level.

And don’t forget Texas State, Idaho, NMSU and ULM. How’s that worked out? They were hunting for landing spots and the SBC obliged. We’ve broken the doormat stigma…don’t go back.
    If you go to 12 put out a feeler for SMU and Memphis…. If they bite then extend to ECU and Liberty for 14…. If you don’t go after AAC teams you should expand with Liberty and UAB…. To get to 14 invite UTSA and Marshall…JMO

Quote Originally Posted by mxpxfr690 View Post
    If you go to 12 put out a feeler for SMU and Memphis…. If they bite then extend to ECU and Liberty for 14…. If you don’t go after AAC teams you should expand with Liberty and UAB…. To get to 14 invite UTSA and Marshall…JMO
    The problem is the AAC will likely be going after the same schools as the SBC, plus SBC members. Keeping everything in tact plus positive additions will not be easy for the SBC. We need to end up in the strongest conference and hope we are positioning ourselves for that and not leaving all our eggs in the SBC basket.

15. Default Re: Podcast: Dr. Bryan Maggard (9-10-21)

The Sunbelt needs a name change to release the old baggage.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information