Page 8 of 69 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 18 ... LastLast

Thread: AAC Focused on ...

Default Re: AAC Focused on ...

Quote Originally Posted by JayWalker View Post
    I think it would probably be 16 teams, ideally. Two eight team divisions, play everyone in your division (7) and two crossovers each year to make nine conference games.

I'm pretty set on 13 of them and have six more for the other three slots.

From the American: Memphis, SMU, Navy (football only, Wichita State in other sports), Tulane

Tulane is improving their on field performance. And, while LSU rules the roost in NO, if Tulane is on TV, people in NO will watch (if the times don't conflict). The other three are, in my opinion, no brainers.

From the Sun Belt: Louisiana, AppState, Coastal
    Strike while the iron is hot. All three have been nationally ranked in the last two years. CCU isn't a flash in the pan.

From Conference USA: Marshall, UAB, UTSA
    UTSA is about to no longer be the sleeping giant. They're about to be the best football program in CUSA (and this may be the year to prove it.)

From the Mountain West: Boise State, San Diego State, UNLV
    Las Vegas is a destination city and cheap to travel to, even if you're flying commercial for your Olympic Sports. And, the Rebels still have a brand. The other two should be obvious.

That's 13. The other three would come from a pool of ECU, Temple, Georgia State, USM, Rice, Colorado State.

ECU hasn't been good in football in a few years and their basketball is not good, period. But as a top 20 baseball program, they have value. They also have good penetration in their part of the state.

Temple is Philadelphia. There are a lot of TV sets there. Penn State is way over on the other side of the state. When the Owls are good, people pay attention.

Georgia State: Yeah, they'd be only the third choice in the city of Atlanta. But I still believe they have more upside than any team in the SBC. And, with the new basketball and baseball facilities on the way, that increases their value.

Southern Miss has a good brand because of their history. And, it wouldn't hurt to have a presence in the Magnolia State.

Rice: Houston, great academics, still a brand from their SWC days.

Colorado State: Kind of meh on this, but it's the second biggest name in the state and Denver has a lot of TV sets.

If you're going to get the TV $$$, the three MWC schools have to be a part of it IMO. This "new" league goes against what we've preached for years in terms of travel costs and geography. But the potential $$$ takes care of that.

So, anyway, those are my thoughts. The other schools in the AAC (Tulsa, USF) do nothing to move the needle. I love my brethren in the SBC, but there's no one else that adds value. CUSA's value has diminished.

So that's my lineup.
    It’s hard for me to disagree with much of this Jay except one thing, Temple.

I lived in Philly for 10 years and worked in central PA the next 10 years of my life. Not many people in Philly two craps about Temple, unless we’re talking basketball two decades ago. Philly is: 1. Eagles, 2. Phillies, 3. Flyers with their hard core fans, and then 4. 76ers. Philly is a true blue collar town and they don’t give a shat about college sports.

Big 5 basketball is a driver, but Temple is only one of those five. When John Cheney was alive Temple had sway but he’s been gone a while.

All this being said, I don’t live too far from Philly and still have lots of friends in the city. I’d be crazy excited to catch a Cajuns game every other year there!

Quote Originally Posted by RaginCajun309 View Post
    It’s hard for me to disagree with much of this Jay except one thing, Temple.

I lived in Philly for 10 years and worked in central PA the next 10 years of my life. Not many people in Philly two craps about Temple, unless we’re talking basketball two decades ago. Philly is: 1. Eagles, 2. Phillies, 3. Flyers with their hard core fans, and then 4. 76ers. Philly is a true blue collar town and they don’t give a shat about college sports.

Big 5 basketball is a driver, but Temple is only one of those five. When John Cheney was alive Temple had sway but he’s been gone a while.

All this being said, I don’t live too far from Philly and still have lots of friends in the city. I’d be crazy excited to catch a Cajuns game every other year there!
    Well, they were on the maybe list. Maybe they shouldn't be LOL

I want them to be, because any chance to get a road Cajun game closer to me is good! My wife graduated from Temple and never knew any student she studied with to go to a football game. Basketball, yes.

Thanks for your insights Jay.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Aresco > Gill 100 times out of 100.

I still believe AAC has more clout and leverage in TV negotiations than the SBC at this point.

And I fully stand by my statements earlier in this thread. AAC or bust.
    This.

If the AAC comes for an invite, you take it and run.

If Aresco was that damn smart, the new AAC would already be done. It isn't. One league AD told a colleague of mine just two weeks ago the AAC doesn't have a plan.

Except to beat their chest and scream Power Six
    One of the funniest post of the year. And sadly, probably 100% true.

Jay, if we do this, the leftover G5s will hate us the way the P5 schools hate the SEC.

So, let’s do it.

I think it would probably be 16 teams, ideally. Two eight team divisions, play everyone in your division (7) and two crossovers each year to make nine conference games.

I'm pretty set on 13 of them and have six more for the other three slots.

From the American: Memphis, SMU, Navy (football only, Wichita State in other sports), Tulane

Tulane is improving their on field performance. And, while LSU rules the roost in NO, if Tulane is on TV, people in NO will watch (if the times don't conflict). The other three are, in my opinion, no brainers.

From the Sun Belt: Louisiana, AppState, Coastal
    Strike while the iron is hot. All three have been nationally ranked in the last two years. CCU isn't a flash in the pan.

From Conference USA: Marshall, UAB, UTSA
    UTSA is about to no longer be the sleeping giant. They're about to be the best football program in CUSA (and this may be the year to prove it.)

From the Mountain West: Boise State, San Diego State, UNLV
    Las Vegas is a destination city and cheap to travel to, even if you're flying commercial for your Olympic Sports. And, the Rebels still have a brand. The other two should be obvious.

That's 13. The other three would come from a pool of ECU, Temple, Georgia State, USM, Rice, Colorado State.

ECU hasn't been good in football in a few years and their basketball is not good, period. But as a top 20 baseball program, they have value. They also have good penetration in their part of the state.

Temple is Philadelphia. There are a lot of TV sets there. Penn State is way over on the other side of the state. When the Owls are good, people pay attention.

Georgia State: Yeah, they'd be only the third choice in the city of Atlanta. But I still believe they have more upside than any team in the SBC. And, with the new basketball and baseball facilities on the way, that increases their value.

Southern Miss has a good brand because of their history. And, it wouldn't hurt to have a presence in the Magnolia State.

Rice: Houston, great academics, still a brand from their SWC days.

Colorado State: Kind of meh on this, but it's the second biggest name in the state and Denver has a lot of TV sets.

If you're going to get the TV $$$, the three MWC schools have to be a part of it IMO. This "new" league goes against what we've preached for years in terms of travel costs and geography. But the potential $$$ takes care of that.

So, anyway, those are my thoughts. The other schools in the AAC (Tulsa, USF) do nothing to move the needle. I love my brethren in the SBC, but there's no one else that adds value. CUSA's value has diminished.

So that's my lineup.

Jacob81 is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Quote Originally Posted by Louisiana84 View Post
    Jay, if we do this, the leftover G5s will hate us the way the P5 schools hate the SEC.

So, let’s do it.
    While I don’t disagree with this I would selfishly like the more regional conference. Mainly for better rivalries and road trips. I know tv money drives everything.

Rice utsa
    UNT smu
    Ark st Memphis
    La tech Cajuns
    USM USA
    UAB Troy

Tulsa can go to mwc
    ULM can go to hell

........Jay you are gonna have the ltur board rockin!

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob81 View Post
    While I don’t disagree with this I would selfishly like the more regional conference. Mainly for better rivalries and road trips. I know tv money drives everything.

Rice utsa
    UNT smu
    Ark st Memphis
    La tech Cajuns
    USM USA
    UAB Troy

Tulsa can go to mwc
    ULM can go to hell
    La Technical not invited.

Whatever we do, it has to make financial sense. Otherwise, we could end up looking like this:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.nor...amp/8047865002

Quote Originally Posted by ULvictory View Post
    This.

If the AAC comes for an invite, you take it and run.
    I think everybody feels this way.

And if Jay’s version were to come to fruition, that would be a certain amount of regional character to the conference.

Again, I think everybody is beyond good with it.

I just hope Maggard is doing everything possible to put us in the best position to be in the discussion. I believe he is too.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Aresco > Gill 100 times out of 100.

I still believe AAC has more clout and leverage in TV negotiations than the SBC at this point.

And I fully stand by my statements earlier in this thread. AAC or bust.
    I just don’t see Louisiana being number 2 in the pecking order behind UAB. I feel we are a “bubble” program in regards to moving up.

If I were the UL AD, I'd be walking into the AAC corporate office with Edie's, Billy's, and Meche's once a week. Works in O&G.

Ok, I stole that plan off of a napkin in a Corner Bar booth.

If for some reason the AAC added Rice, UAB, Georgia State, and ODU.

would yall feel left behind?
    would the new AAC look better in football than the Sun Belt to yall?
    would yall feel better if USM or Marshall replaced GSU? or even UTSA, USM and Marshall all jump to Sun Belt to go to 12 teams?

Page 8 of 69 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 18 ... LastLast

Thread Information