Page 7 of 69 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 17 ... LastLast

Thread: AAC Focused on ...

Default Re: AAC Focused on ...

Quote Originally Posted by MDMullet8 View Post
    ESPN loves everything Ragin’ Cajuns
    This is true! Wish we could have had a better showing in Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    ESPN is calling the shots.
    The AAC will add whomever ESPN tells them to add.
    I don't see the logic in this statement.

The AAC contract will be voided. Therefore, ESPN won't be telling the AAC who to add. The new contract will be based on what the league looks like after the additions. If the AAC adds teams with value, they'll get paid. ESPN won't say "look, we're paying you this money, you have to add these schools."

There is no contract once those schools leave.

3. Default Re: AAC Focused on ...

Quote Originally Posted by JayWalker View Post

The AAC contract will be voided. Therefore, ESPN won't be telling the AAC who to add. The new contract will be based on what the league looks like after the additions. If the AAC adds teams with value, they'll get paid. ESPN won't say "look, we're paying you this money, you have to add these schools."

Those 12 year contracts ain't what they used to be.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...ce-realignment

Are you trying to tell me Aresco won't get consultation on new contracts from ESPN?

I guarantee you he will be given a good idea on possible additions and TV value from ESPN. He won't be pulling the lever on Price is Right hoping for a big number. He will know.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    Are you trying to tell me Aresco won't get consultation on new contracts from ESPN?

I guarantee you he will be given a good idea on possible additions and TV value from ESPN. He won't be pulling the lever on Price is Right hoping for a big number. He will know.
    Aresco will have an ESPN and Fox consultant 100%. But ESPN won’t dictate who gets added. Likely they will just place a value on the prospective universities and how that will effect the contract.

It will be up to Aresco to sell the member schools that “insert team” brings this to the table. Invites will be based off of a way more complex system than just on field performance.

Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    Aresco will have an ESPN and Fox consultant 100%. But ESPN won’t dictate who gets added. Likely they will just place a value on the prospective universities and how that will effect the contract.

It will be up to Aresco to sell the member schools that “insert team” brings this to the table. Invites will be based off of a way more complex system than just on field performance.
    I believe that would be exactly the process. Aresco will confer with both networks on which program's brands bring value to the AAC.

Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post

agree

8. Default Re: AAC Focused on ...

Aresco > Gill 100 times out of 100.

I still believe AAC has more clout and leverage in TV negotiations than the SBC at this point.

And I fully stand by my statements earlier in this thread. AAC or bust.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post

I still believe AAC has more clout and leverage in TV negotiations than the SBC at this point.

AAC and baseball and softball in the Big12. Since the current AAC will only have 5 baseball playing members.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Buds View Post
    Touché! Lol

If you don’t mind, curious minds here, list the schools you think would make up this best of the rest G5.
    I think it would probably be 16 teams, ideally. Two eight team divisions, play everyone in your division (7) and two crossovers each year to make nine conference games.

I'm pretty set on 13 of them and have six more for the other three slots.

From the American: Memphis, SMU, Navy (football only, Wichita State in other sports), Tulane

Tulane is improving their on field performance. And, while LSU rules the roost in NO, if Tulane is on TV, people in NO will watch (if the times don't conflict). The other three are, in my opinion, no brainers.

From the Sun Belt: Louisiana, AppState, Coastal
    Strike while the iron is hot. All three have been nationally ranked in the last two years. CCU isn't a flash in the pan.

From Conference USA: Marshall, UAB, UTSA
    UTSA is about to no longer be the sleeping giant. They're about to be the best football program in CUSA (and this may be the year to prove it.)

From the Mountain West: Boise State, San Diego State, UNLV
    Las Vegas is a destination city and cheap to travel to, even if you're flying commercial for your Olympic Sports. And, the Rebels still have a brand. The other two should be obvious.

That's 13. The other three would come from a pool of ECU, Temple, Georgia State, USM, Rice, Colorado State.

ECU hasn't been good in football in a few years and their basketball is not good, period. But as a top 20 baseball program, they have value. They also have good penetration in their part of the state.

Temple is Philadelphia. There are a lot of TV sets there. Penn State is way over on the other side of the state. When the Owls are good, people pay attention.

Georgia State: Yeah, they'd be only the third choice in the city of Atlanta. But I still believe they have more upside than any team in the SBC. And, with the new basketball and baseball facilities on the way, that increases their value.

Southern Miss has a good brand because of their history. And, it wouldn't hurt to have a presence in the Magnolia State.

Rice: Houston, great academics, still a brand from their SWC days.

Colorado State: Kind of meh on this, but it's the second biggest name in the state and Denver has a lot of TV sets.

If you're going to get the TV $$$, the three MWC schools have to be a part of it IMO. This "new" league goes against what we've preached for years in terms of travel costs and geography. But the potential $$$ takes care of that.

So, anyway, those are my thoughts. The other schools in the AAC (Tulsa, USF) do nothing to move the needle. I love my brethren in the SBC, but there's no one else that adds value. CUSA's value has diminished.

So that's my lineup.

Aresco gets lots of publicity because he's a blowhard. I'm not sure he's the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Honestly, I'd work with the presidents to form a new league and neither he nor Gill would be the Commish.

If Aresco was that damn smart, the new AAC would already be done. It isn't. One league AD told a colleague of mine just two weeks ago the AAC doesn't have a plan.

Except to beat their chest and scream Power Six

Default Re: ACC Focused on ...

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post
    It doesn’t make sense to compare the AAC-3 vs the Sun Belt because that’s not how it’s going to play out. The AAC-3 will reload with the top C-USA and Sun Belt teams. So it will be the new version of the AAC vs. the new version of the Sun Belt. The AAC wins here and it’s not even close.

I’ve never been right one time about conference realignment, but I suspect travel will weigh heavily on the minds of the AAC schools knowing they will be seeing a huge revenue drop. I could definitely see them taking a UL as a travel partner for Tulane, App State for ECU, UAB for Memphis, and maybe even La Tech or UTSA for SMU, and FAU/FIU for USF.
    This is a great post. It highlights just what an important decision the AAC has to make here.

The TV deal is gone. Travel will be an issue in the new AAC. They have to act with enough force to keep their top G5 status, address travel, and deal a blow to the SBC who is gaining on them in football.

If their collective noses are just too high in the air to act accordingly, they will add a couple of schools that will not move the needle enough, but the membership won't have to go slumming for schools. And, this will be their downfall. The SBC will grab a couple of CUSA's best and its game on.

To me, the obvious answer is to go big, like 14 or 16. Grab the best available. Reduce travel costs. Keep the other G5 conferences in their boxes forever. Will they be brave enough to do that?

fanof71 is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Lots of good basketball in that post...baseball too

Without discussion 100% agree! Does anyone in their right mind believe Gill will out maneuver Aresco in Conference alignment and contract negotiations?

I think it would probably be 16 teams, ideally. Two eight team divisions, play everyone in your division (7) and two crossovers each year to make nine conference games.

I'm pretty set on 13 of them and have six more for the other three slots.

From the American: Memphis, SMU, Navy (football only, Wichita State in other sports), Tulane

Tulane is improving their on field performance. And, while LSU rules the roost in NO, if Tulane is on TV, people in NO will watch (if the times don't conflict). The other three are, in my opinion, no brainers.

From the Sun Belt: Louisiana, AppState, Coastal
    Strike while the iron is hot. All three have been nationally ranked in the last two years. CCU isn't a flash in the pan.

From Conference USA: Marshall, UAB, UTSA
    UTSA is about to no longer be the sleeping giant. They're about to be the best football program in CUSA (and this may be the year to prove it.)

From the Mountain West: Boise State, San Diego State, UNLV
    Las Vegas is a destination city and cheap to travel to, even if you're flying commercial for your Olympic Sports. And, the Rebels still have a brand. The other two should be obvious.

That's 13. The other three would come from a pool of ECU, Temple, Georgia State, USM, Rice, Colorado State.

ECU hasn't been good in football in a few years and their basketball is not good, period. But as a top 20 baseball program, they have value. They also have good penetration in their part of the state.

Temple is Philadelphia. There are a lot of TV sets there. Penn State is way over on the other side of the state. When the Owls are good, people pay attention.

Georgia State: Yeah, they'd be only the third choice in the city of Atlanta. But I still believe they have more upside than any team in the SBC. And, with the new basketball and baseball facilities on the way, that increases their value.

Southern Miss has a good brand because of their history. And, it wouldn't hurt to have a presence in the Magnolia State.

Rice: Houston, great academics, still a brand from their SWC days.

Colorado State: Kind of meh on this, but it's the second biggest name in the state and Denver has a lot of TV sets.

If you're going to get the TV $$$, the three MWC schools have to be a part of it IMO. This "new" league goes against what we've preached for years in terms of travel costs and geography. But the potential $$$ takes care of that.

So, anyway, those are my thoughts. The other schools in the AAC (Tulsa, USF) do nothing to move the needle. I love my brethren in the SBC, but there's no one else that adds value. CUSA's value has diminished.

So that's my lineup.
    Jay, thank you for taking the time to write this. There is a lot to unpack here but it sounds extremely enticing!

I figured you would include Fresno St. and LaTech in this list but all in all I really agree here…I may need to digest this some.

Unfortunately, I don’t see it happening this way as egos and current leadership will get in the way.

Page 7 of 69 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 17 ... LastLast

Thread Information