Page 12 of 75 FirstFirst ... 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 22 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 FB Final: Louisiana 18, Texas 38

Default Re: Geezus, Horns fans sure are confident

One thing I will say is Texas with their 4 and 5 star players lose to Kansas. So yeah fk em

Texas Football just keeps finding a new rock bottom https://t.co/loWLZ5MAz5

https://twitter.com/QB1TATT00/status...96875504234506

Texas Fan is full of 💩💩💩💩

Quote Originally Posted by MDMullet8 View Post
    One thing I will say is Texas with their 4 and 5 star players lose to Kansas. So yeah fk em
    What people fail to realize 4 and 5 stars indicate a players potential and current skill level, but it doesn’t measure heart or ability to adjust to the next level…. It’s nice to have stars but if you don’t play up to that level you are just another face in the crowd. Hopefully we can punch Texas in the mouth.

Default Re: Ragin' Dave's Texas Longhorn Preview

Looking back at the opener a year ago we won because:

1. We won the turnover battle (2-0)
    2. We didn't give up the big play (and only allowed 84 yards in the second half)
    3. We won the kicking game. (And, not just because of returns for TD)

We'll need to replicate that to have a chance. Plus, we'll have to handle the crowd, the size of we haven't faced since our trip to Tuscaloosa in Billy's first season.

If we can do those things, it will be a game in the fourth quarter. But we have to do them all.

Cajunjeb is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Jay, would you also include not letting the QB and the RB hurt you? I think one of the two will get theirs.

Quote Originally Posted by JayWalker View Post
    3. We won the kicking game. (And, not just because of returns for TD)
    We won the kicking game with 2 missed field goals..

I read the thread over there at Horns247 and there are about as many comments indicating respect for the Cajuns (some calling us UL) as there are dismissive comments. You're always going to get those dismissive P5 vs. G5 types every time we play a team like this. I'm actually impressed with how many of their fans have done their homework and understand our team's strengths and weaknesses. They are right that the Cajuns have to play a near flawless game to walk out of Austin with a win, but to dismiss UL outright as a cupcake is nonsense - especially considering all the new "moving parts" that Texas has to deal with from last year.

What Texas needs to do to win:
    1. Run the ball for first downs. Their RB's are stellar and certainly up for the task, but is the OL? Is the coach going to be patient enough to play ball control against a G5 team?
    2. Rattle Levi Lewis and force mistakes. If the Cajuns have to throw the ball, Texas has to put some pressure on him because he is a seasoned veteran who has never had a huge turnover problem. If Texas attacks him like Miss St. did, they may be able to get the same result.

What Louisiana needs to do to win:
    1. Control the line of scrimmage with that powerful OL. Whether the Cajuns are running or passing, the OL needs to open holes for the young RBs and protect Levi Lewis. The OL will be up for the task, but that's not the end of the story. Look for Texas to throw all kinds of blitzes at the Cajuns to force those young RBs and TEs to pick them up, playing to the Cajuns' weakness instead of strength.
    2. Get out to an early lead / Stop the Texas running game. The Cajuns MUST force Texas into passing situations to win this game. If Texas is rushing for first downs and wearing the Cajuns defense down, it will be a long, slow, painful loss. If the Cajuns strike early and force Texas to play catch-up OR contain the RBs, Texas will be forced to throw. Passing offense is Texas' weakness and passing defense is UL's strength.

I think Texas will be really aggressive, use it against them

11. Default Re: Ragin' Dave's Texas Longhorn Preview

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunman99 View Post
    2. Get out to an early lead / Stop the Texas running game. The Cajuns MUST force Texas into passing situations to win this game. If Texas is rushing for first downs and wearing the Cajuns defense down, it will be a long, slow, painful loss. If the Cajuns strike early and force Texas to play catch-up OR contain the RBs, Texas will be forced to throw. Passing offense is Texas' weakness and passing defense is UL's strength.
    I would be very careful in writing off Texas' passing attack. While Hudson Card may not start or play in this game because of experience (he has the biggest upside) ... barring injury, he will be in the NFL when he finishes. Very athletic (was a stellar WR his soph year in high school ... could run away from talented CBs) and throws one of the nicest balls I have seen at the high school level. NFL arm talent ... just needs to add more bulk, which he will. Throws extremely well on the run (buying time), is extremely shifty, and can obviously run the ball. A true dual threat.

I hope we see Thompson. Even though Thompson is more experienced, Card has the potential to do more damage. Card also has the potential, given his inexperience, to make mistakes. If we face Card, I am glad it is in the first game ... because he will be good when he gets playing time under his belt. After watching all of the Lake Travis QBs since 2007, I can say that Card is the best LT has produced (at graduation). Better than Baker Mayfield, Garrett Gilbert, Matthew Baldwin, and the many other D1 QBs QB High has produced.

Here are some highlights from his junior high school season.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by GoneGolfin View Post
    I would be very careful in writing off Texas' passing attack. While Hudson Card may not start or play in this game because of experience (he has the biggest upside) ... barring injury, he will be in the NFL when he finishes. Very athletic (was a stellar WR his soph year in high school ... could run away from talented CBs) and throws one of the nicest balls I have seen at the high school level. NFL arm talent ... just needs to add more bulk, which he will. Throws extremely well on the run (buying time), is extremely shifty, and can obviously run the ball. A true dual threat.

Brian
    Certainly true that I would expect any recruit to Texas to have a huge upside - and maybe "unproven" would have been a better word than "weakness". I was also thinking about the WR situation at Texas as well as the new coach, new system, unfamiliarity between whoever is QB and the WRs, etc. For that reason, I would bet the house that the Texas game plan is to run first, and for good reason. Stopping Texas' ground game will be a big task.

13. Default Re: Ragin' Dave's Texas Longhorn Preview

Certainly true that I would expect any recruit to Texas to have a huge upside - and maybe "unproven" would have been a better word than "weakness". I was also thinking about the WR situation at Texas as well as the new coach, new system, unfamiliarity between whoever is QB and the WRs, etc. For that reason, I would bet the house that the Texas game plan is to run first, and for good reason. Stopping Texas' ground game will be a big task.
    Totally fair. And I do agree that Texas will test the Cajuns with the ground game. But if the Cajuns are able to build a double-digit lead, Texas (at least with Card) has the ability to shake things up and take a different approach.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by MDMullet8 View Post
    We just have to let Levi be Levi. He doesn’t have to rush for 100 yards
    Levi ran for 335 yrds all of last year and is averaging 17yrd a game in his career. Im pretty sure he isnt getting 100 yrds on this one.

I read the thread over there at Horns247 and there are about as many comments indicating respect for the Cajuns (some calling us UL) as there are dismissive comments. You're always going to get those dismissive P5 vs. G5 types every time we play a team like this. I'm actually impressed with how many of their fans have done their homework and understand our team's strengths and weaknesses. They are right that the Cajuns have to play a near flawless game to walk out of Austin with a win, but to dismiss UL outright as a cupcake is nonsense - especially considering all the new "moving parts" that Texas has to deal with from last year.
    This here. I just read the thread and think some of the “arrogant Texas fans giving us no respect” is overblown.

Hell…anyone remember that first LA Tech game in the Hud era and all the ____ talking we (myself did) before that game? And in budget and recruiting, we were WAAAAY more like Tech than we have ever been to Texas.

I think half of those posters in that thread are acknowledging that yes, they SHOULD win given their athletes and home field advantage, but are cautious to get caught up in a “we’re going to win by 4 TDs fray”.

Page 12 of 75 FirstFirst ... 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 22 ... LastLast

Thread Information