Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Sports Talk Radio in Lafayette Market

Default Re: Sports Talk Radio in Lafayette Market

The 3 o’clock show on 1420 currently has to be the most unlistenable show in the history of radio. Even bitter was more articulate and that’s virtually impossible.

2. Default Re: Sports Talk Radio in Lafayette Market

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    ... I don't see another Travis ...
    the other Traves is the overall coverage its a Travesty

I just figured 1420 was just trying to reach an afternoon audience way younger than us old geezers.

Quote Originally Posted by ultracajun View Post
    I just figured 1420 was just trying to reach an afternoon audience way younger than us old geezers.
    A younger audience that listens to AM radio! Ha

Quote Originally Posted by KajunKrazy View Post
    The 3 o’clock show on 1420 currently has to be the most unlistenable show in the history of radio. Even bitter was more articulate and that’s virtually impossible.
    Either one at times is so bad it’s akin to death by fire ants.

Quote Originally Posted by ULvictory View Post
    Ironically, Ragin Review was on the Great Scott Show this morning. Scott had invited us to talk a little bit about the podcast before Dr. Maggard came on. We will have a segment on Friday morning as well talking about predictions for the Texas game.
    I was going to say that. I enjoyed the segment and it lasted about an hour.

Incidentally, the topic of why there wasn’t more buzz on Lafayette about a top 25 team was discussed. Several potential reasons were mentioned, but coverage is one of them. The Cajun guys are gone and aside from Foote, 103.7 almost begrudgingly covers Cajuns. Their social media and website is Tigers, Saints Astros centric. I try not to listen to them unless I know Billy or Jay will be on.

I’ve been 14 hours ahead of Lafayette time for a while, so I can only listen to maybe Scott at 9 pm or Norman’s show in at 7 am.

Scott covers the Cajuns. But for the past few weeks when I turn into Norm’s show it’s heavy NBA (I started listening during the playoffs, so that understandable) but the rest has been the same few callers talking about the stuff they want to talk about. I can’t imagine anyone else is interested but them. They may very well have talked Cajuns, but I just missed it.
    I can’t listen for long. I like Norm on the postgame Cajuns show, too.

Jay, Steve, Cody-those were UL guys with great insight and coverage. 1420 made a mistake if they are targeting local listeners. If you use this board as a sample, and I think it’s pretty representative of the local sports followers, then 1420 is floundering.

Ragin Review has been my Cajuns life line. I listen to a pod cast over a couple of days while on the train.

So fanof71 is a little upset. He's a media guy who knows of what he speaks. If he were the program director at either of one of those stations, this week there would have been no mention of baseball, basketball or any other sport, except football. And, almost all of the football discussion would have been about UL/Texas and the beginning of the NFL season. And, maybe, a little bit of LSU thrown in for good measure.

If a host mentioned NBA, fanof71 would have fired him. The second person to be fired would have been the one who dedicated time to their freaking fantasy football team. NO ONE CARES about your fantasy football team.

Maybe the new general manager, if there is one at 1420, doesn't listen to the station. If he did, he would realize what's actually being broadcast and some more heads would roll. But, obviously, he cares more about the other stations that actually bring in money.

So, those at 1420 that are on the air can talk about whatever the heck THEY want to talk about, regardless of what the few listeners want to hear. At this point, it doesn't matter. It will only matter when they no longer have any listeners. At that point they will cease to exist.

8. Default Re: Sports Talk Radio in Lafayette Market

Quote Originally Posted by roarman View Post
    So fanof71 is a little upset. He's a media guy who knows of what he speaks. If he were the program director at either of one of those stations, this week there would have been no mention of baseball, basketball or any other sport, except football. And, almost all of the football discussion would have been about UL/Texas and the beginning of the NFL season. And, maybe, a little bit of LSU thrown in for good measure.

If a host mentioned NBA, fanof71 would have fired him. The second person to be fired would have been the one who dedicated time to their freaking fantasy football team. NO ONE CARES about your fantasy football team.

Maybe the new general manager, if there is one at 1420, doesn't listen to the station. If he did, he would realize what's actually being broadcast and some more heads would roll. But, obviously, he cares more about the other stations that actually bring in money.

So, those at 1420 that are on the air can talk about whatever the heck THEY want to talk about, regardless of what the few listeners want to hear. At this point, it doesn't matter. It will only matter when they no longer have any listeners. At that point they will cease to exist.
    This ^

If a local media person asked me about lack of buzz, I would gift them a mirror.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTails View Post
    I completely gave up on local sports radio. Once Jay's afternoon spot was given to Scott way back when, I really had no interest in tuning in and listening to Gus Kattengel and Scott talk about the Saints and Pelicans.

I really enjoyed Dave Schultz on 103.7, he gave the Cajuns a lot of coverage (especially during the Scott Farmer fiasco). Once he left, Ben Love was really the only one I enjoyed listening to. And now he's gone.

Just turn off the radio and listen to Ragin Review and other Cajun podcasts during your commute.
    I miss ole Dave Schultz. Huge fan of his unique style. Rp3 tries to hard to be Jim Rome. Ps, Jim Rome sucks toilet water.

Quote Originally Posted by roarman View Post

Appreciate the sentiment Roar, yep heads would have rolled...

Quote Originally Posted by RaginScotsman View Post

Incidentally, the topic of why there wasn’t more buzz on Lafayette about a top 25 team was discussed. Several potential reasons were mentioned, but coverage is one of them. The Cajun guys are gone and aside from Foote, 103.7 almost begrudgingly covers Cajuns. Their social media and website is Tigers, Saints Astros centric. I try not to listen to them unless I know Billy or Jay will be on.

I’ve been 14 hours ahead of Lafayette time for a while, so I can only listen to maybe Scott at 9 pm or Norman’s show in at 7 am.

Scott covers the Cajuns. But for the past few weeks when I turn into Norm’s show it’s heavy NBA (I started listening during the playoffs, so that understandable) but the rest has been the same few callers talking about the stuff they want to talk about. I can’t imagine anyone else is interested but them. They may very well have talked Cajuns, but I just missed it.

Jay, Steve, Cody-those were UL guys with great insight and coverage. 1420 made a mistake if they are targeting local listeners. If you use this board as a sample, and I think it’s pretty representative of the local sports followers, then 1420 is floundering.

Ragin Review has been my Cajuns life line. I listen to a pod cast over a couple of days while on the train.
    I cannot even imagine waking up in the morning and listening to Norman and his two listeners, Ron and Jay, who call in. I listened one day and vowed to never listen again. Seriously. I can't think of a worse way for one to get their day started.

Quote Originally Posted by angeleast View Post
    I miss ole Dave Schultz. Huge fan of his unique style. Rp3 tries to hard to be Jim Rome. Ps, Jim Rome sucks toilet water.
    Jim Rome sucks to listen to if you aren't a "clone" (I think that's the word for his listeners). Tons of inside jokes and long-time listener lingo. It makes it hard to follow at times. He's a great interviewer though, so his interviews are worth listening to. Everything else, meh.

13. Default Re: Sports Talk Radio in Lafayette Market

Quote Originally Posted by RaginScotsman View Post

Lots of content coming first thing in the AM. Thank you for the comment, very motivating!

Quote Originally Posted by RedTails View Post
    Jim Rome sucks to listen to if you aren't a "clone" (I think that's the word for his listeners). Tons of inside jokes and long-time listener lingo. It makes it hard to follow at times. He's a great interviewer though, so his interviews are worth listening to. Everything else, meh.
    Jim Everett should of swung a little harder.

15. Default Re: Sports Talk Radio in Lafayette Market

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    Jim Everett should of swung a little harder.
    Was that a swing?

I thought it was a serve.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information