Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Kicking game issues cleared up in Cajuns' second scrimmage

Default Re: Kicking game issues cleared up in Cajuns' second scrimmage

Quote Originally Posted by facelessjonmoon View Post
    ?

Gary Bartel moved Ike before bustle knew anything about any of the players . Bartel also recruited, signed and coached Peanut. He deserves credit for that one
    There was a great article in the Dallas News about Coach Bartel, who was in a coma for three months because of COVID. His family was brought in to say goodbye...but he wasn't ready to go.

Quote Originally Posted by JayWalker View Post
    There was a great article in the Dallas News about Coach Bartel, who was in a coma for three months because of COVID. His family was brought in to say goodbye...but he wasn't ready to go.
    Both he and his son are two of the nicest guys you'll ever meet.

Quote Originally Posted by JayWalker View Post
    Here's a link to the article:
    https://www.dallasnews.com/high-scho...from-covid-19/

Great story and even better people & family

Here's a link referencing when Ike was moved to CB:
    https://es.pn/3kAONVQ

Didn't see this anywhere else and I know our kicking issues are an eyesore, but I thought I would add my 2 cents into this.

Last night, I was watching the kickers warming up. And this is just an observation, but #40, Logan Klotz had a very methodical way in which he ran through his kicks. He started at the 15yard line and kicked from the right hash mark, center, left hash mark. Then he would move back 5 yards, kick from all three angles, move back 5 and so on and so on until he reached the 40 yard line. I can only assume he would stay at the hash mark and kick again if he missed, BUT he never missed, not one time.

Nate Snyder, #36 went straight to the 35 yard line and kicked. He never changed hash marks. He made 3 of about 10 kicks. Never varied his routine.

So this made me curious about the Logan Klotz kid. His bio said he was ranked as the nation’s No. 20 kicking prospect by Kornblue Kicking coming out of Pope John Paul II High School…First-team All-State honoree following the 2018-19 and 2019-20 seasons…Holds his high school records for longest field goal made (48 yards), longest punt (66 yards) and highest punt average (45.8 yards).

He is a true freshman, but why isn't this kid kicking for us?

5. Default Re: Kicking game issues cleared up in Cajuns' second scrimmage

The only conclusion I can come up with is Logan a redshirt freshman and the coaching staff doesn’t want to burn up the redshirt and him for an extra year?

6. Default Re: Kicking game issues cleared up in Cajuns' second scrimmage

Quote Originally Posted by cajungrad2001 View Post
    The only conclusion I can come up with is Logan a redshirt freshman and the coaching staff doesn’t want to burn up the redshirt and him for an extra year?
    Possibly we can hold him to the last 4 games of the season, let him get some work and not have to burn his redshirt. Specifically when you consider that Allmendares is only a RS Sophomore and has really turned into a pretty good kicker for us.

Quote Originally Posted by cajungrad2001 View Post
    I believe he can appear in four games and keep his redshirt. He wasn't need against APP; will be interesting to see what happens in a close game where a field goal might make a difference.

8. Default Re: Kicking game issues cleared up in Cajuns' second scrimmage

Quote Originally Posted by covcaj View Post
    I believe he can appear in four games and keep his redshirt. He wasn't need against APP; will be interesting to see what happens in a close game where a field goal might make a difference.
    You are accurate, I would assume Billy will do everything possible not to use him before game 9 at the earliest, but probably game 11. The reason for this is, if you use him in a game now and then Snyder gets hurt before game 9/11, you will be guaranteed to burn his redshirt if you wait until game 9 and use him than you don't need to worry about it. I think BN fear would be using him in the APP game or stAte, Texas State, Georgia State or even Troy than lets say Snyder gets hurt on a kickoff or a XP or even in practice, well now you have to burn the redshirt and you lose that year. If you can hold off without doing anything until later in the year lets say in a somewhat meaningless game vs Liberty or even ULM if we are killing them, than you will have him come back as a Freshman. If that injury occurs then it is all moot and you will have to burn it, but if you don't need to, why would you do it. Remember you get Allmendares back next year, next year you want Klotz to be a Freshman not a Sophomore, the longer we have him the better for after Allmendares is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginDave View Post
    You are accurate, I would assume Billy will do everything possible not to use him before game 9 at the earliest, but probably game 11. The reason for this is, if you use him in a game now and then Snyder gets hurt before game 9/11, you will be guaranteed to burn his redshirt if you wait until game 9 and use him than you don't need to worry about it. I think BN fear would be using him in the APP game or stAte, Texas State, Georgia State or even Troy than lets say Snyder gets hurt on a kickoff or a XP or even in practice, well now you have to burn the redshirt and you lose that year. If you can hold off without doing anything until later in the year lets say in a somewhat meaningless game vs Liberty or even ULM if we are killing them, than you will have him come back as a Freshman. If that injury occurs then it is all moot and you will have to burn it, but if you don't need to, why would you do it. Remember you get Allmendares back next year, next year you want Klotz to be a Freshman not a Sophomore, the longer we have him the better for after Allmendares is gone.
    You can use Klotz's redshirt next year I believe. No reason to not play him if he can kick this year.

10. Default Re: Kicking game issues cleared up in Cajuns' second scrimmage

Quote Originally Posted by ULGrad@HOU View Post
    You can use Klotz's redshirt next year I believe. No reason to not play him if he can kick this year.
    Yes, but at that point you can not use the Freshman 4 game rule. You will have to redshirt him and hope Allmendares does not get hurt. The longer you can wait this year, the better.

Waiting could cost losing a game. Also, we can keep recruiting kickers.

Quote Originally Posted by ULGrad@HOU View Post
    Waiting could cost losing a game. Also, we can keep recruiting kickers.
    You are missing the other point made; don't use him unless it is necessary. That would be if whomever is the kicker misses some early tries in a game, and that game turns out to be close.

Your post starts with 3 interesting words that make this whole discussion ironic; "You are accurate"!

We want accuracy!

GEAUX CAJUNS!

14. Default Re: Kicking game issues cleared up in Cajuns' second scrimmage

Quote Originally Posted by moorecajun View Post
    You are missing the other point made; don't use him unless it is necessary. That would be if whomever is the kicker misses some early tries in a game, and that game turns out to be close.
    That was my exact point, thanks. Unless it is absolutely necessary, he should not be used. If we are beating Arkansas State 35-10, he is not needed, if we are being Texas State 42-24 he is not needed. He was not needed vs App State, so he was not used. Hopefully the same thing happens for the rest of the sesaon.

Your analysis is good and makes sense except for one thing. I don't think the Liberty game is somewhat meaningless. I think it's an important game for our ranking.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information