Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Louisiana Athletics Announces Record-Setting Fundraising in 2020-21

Default Re: Louisiana Athletics Announces Record-Setting Fundraising in 2020-21

Quote Originally Posted by MelRock View Post
    How do you propose we pay the coaches' salary, travel, cost of attendance, stadium upgrades, athletic training table, health supplements, athletic trainers, athletic scholarships, and all the other things that go into running the athletic department?
    I’m not saying all of that isn’t necessary. I’m just throwing it out there that Mr. 4 star athlete may not care about the nutrition or facilities as much as he’d care about the NIL money.

2. Default Re: Louisiana Athletics Announces Record-Setting Fundraising in 2020-21

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post
    As great as this is, I just have to ask the question…

With the new NIL rules should business-owning donors even be giving to the RCAF at this point? It almost seems like we’d get a better ROI as a program if Thibodeaux’s Oilfield Rental Co. “hired” the entire football team to advertise their drilling tools.
    While this may be nice for the few players who could command this, it does absolutely nothing to help the university fund it’s costs of operations.

I’m not saying all of that isn’t necessary. I’m just throwing it out there that Mr. 4 star athlete may not care about the nutrition or facilities as much as he’d care about the NIL money.
    I've wondered about this as well. Guess we'll find out over the next couple years of this process how it'll all work out.

Though let's not kid ourselves, the top recruits at the big money P5 programs were already getting paid (or their families), and there was still plenty of money for donors to give as well. How G5 programs like us now have to plan and figure out the best use of our limited available resources will be the puzzle.

We lose money every year. Do you think some recruit wants to come to some ____ty facilities or has to eat at McDonald's? Seventy-five million to upgrade the football stadium, how does that get funded?

We have built our programs by building them up through donations. If you think that will continue without donations to the programs, then please give me what you are smoking.

How do you propose we pay the coaches' salary, travel, cost of attendance, stadium upgrades, athletic training table, health supplements, athletic trainers, athletic scholarships, and all the other things that go into running the athletic department?
    You forgot radio broadcasters!

6. Default Re: Louisiana Athletics Announces Record-Setting Fundraising in 2020-21

With the new NIL rules should business-owning donors even be giving to the RCAF at this point? It almost seems like we’d get a better ROI as a program if Thibodeaux’s Oilfield Rental Co. “hired” the entire football team to advertise their drilling tools.
    NIL is going to kill athletic budgets.

Pay no mind to that buffoon.

Quote Originally Posted by LouisianaB View Post
    You forgot radio broadcasters!
    Nah. Learfield's got me.

Quote Originally Posted by JayWalker View Post
    Nah. Learfield's got me.
    And we're glad they do!

The start of this thinking just happened at BYU. A company signed the entire team, including every walk-on to an NIL deal that will basically pay their scholarships. So now BYU has 123 scholarship players while the rest of the schools have 85.

We lose money every year. Do you think some recruit wants to come to some ____ty facilities or has to eat at McDonald's? Seventy-five million to upgrade the football stadium, how does that get funded?

We have built our programs by building them up through donations. If you think that will continue without donations to the programs, then please give me what you are smoking.
    The issue is that this is turning the tables on the athletic departments. The athlete-students now have the power when it comes to money. Now the athletic departments will have to persuade businesses to donate their money to the program instead of straight to the players.

Quote Originally Posted by cjr3888 View Post
    The start of this thinking just happened at BYU. A company signed the entire team, including every walk-on to an NIL deal that will basically pay their scholarships. So now BYU has 123 scholarship players while the rest of the schools have 85.
    Now there is a legal way for teams to buy players.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    Now there is a legal way for teams to buy players.
    The only thing that has changed is that the purchase is now above the table instead of under it.

14. Default Re: Louisiana Athletics Announces Record-Setting Fundraising in 2020-21

.I love when you guys compare us to Ltur. Their donations were best in cusa at $7 millCajuns at $30 mill.,separation???

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    The only thing that has changed is that the purchase is now above the table instead of under it.
    I saw somewhere recently (either another thread or an internet site) that a business is awarding all walk-on players at BYU a contract or money equal to the amount of a full scholorship! So basically all BYU players will be on scholorship. Should do wonders for their walk-on program!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information