Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is it quiting, or a bold and unselfish move for the benefit of the team?

1. Default Is it quiting, or a bold and unselfish move for the benefit of the team?

https://sports.yahoo.com/heres-why-s...3414_136036780

Connor Angel found himself in somewhat of a similar situation during this past baseball season. He could no longer help the team. He had a very narrow window to figure out if it was possible to continue his baseball career past college and into the pro's.

Often times, what is happening to a particular athlete is much deeper and concerns many factors that the fan is just not familiar with or is unable to understand. Maybe the attached article can help provide a fair evaluation of our athletes who may not take a path that every fan believes he or she should take. Before passing judgment, all of the factors must be evaluated.

Default Re: Is it quiting, or a bold and unselfish move for the benefit of the team?

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    https://sports.yahoo.com/heres-why-s...3414_136036780

Connor Angel found himself in somewhat of a similar situation during this past baseball season. He could no longer help the team. He had a very narrow window to figure out if it was possible to continue his baseball career past college and into the pro's.

Often times, what is happening to a particular athlete is much deeper and concerns many factors that the fan is just not familiar with or is unable to understand. Maybe the attached article can help provide a fair evaluation of our athletes who may not take a path that every fan believes he or she should take. Before passing judgment, all of the factors must be evaluated.
    they should do what's best for them.. Just don't understand the so brave take

Default Re: Is it quiting, or a bold and unselfish move for the benefit of the team?

I've been seeing many "she's a quitter" on one side while the other is giving the "how stunning and brave" spiel. I think it's neither.

I think based on the evidence of her medical history, she made a mature decision to say, "You know what? I'm not 100% in my mental state to continue this competition and with that, my presence to compete will hurt the team." So she bowed out. I had a convo with some fellow Cajun posters, and one of them brought up a very valid point that I totally agree with: She's Human.

I think it's safe to say that she's the greatest American gymnast to grace the floor. She has also been an upstanding role model. Was it odd at first when she left? Sure. But I get it. As for people trying to harshly criticize her decision or straight up laud her as a hero, just leave her be for now lol.

I won’t bash her, but what sucks is that if she would’ve bowed out before the Olympics, someone else could have had the chance to experience the Olympics as a reserve. Instead, that person is sitting at home after years of hard work and practice.

5. Default Re: Is it quiting, or a bold and unselfish move for the benefit of the team?

As more facts come about, people are starting to understand.

It is easy to say, had she . . .

But be careful, I feel pretty confident she was completing all of the routines before she got to the olympics.

Fans should learn not to Judge, for in most instances they in fact do not #knowitall.

As more facts come about, people are starting to understand.

It is easy to say, had she . . .

But be careful, I feel pretty confident she was completing all of the routines before she got to the olympics.

Fans should learn not to Judge, for in most instances they in fact do not #knowitall.
    Agreed. You and I will never understand the weight of her expectations.

7. Default Re: Is it quiting, or a bold and unselfish move for the benefit of the team?

I relate this back to Connor Angel. Do any of you think for one second that he had any clue why he could not throw strikes?

Continuing to get on the mound had no chance of assisting his team, in fact it was hurting the team. It also has the coach in a quandary.

When a pitcher is on the mound and has no clue what to do to correct his issues, all continuing to roll him out there will do is give someone who throws with his velocity a chance to suffer an injury.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunJeaux View Post
    Agreed. You and I will never understand the weight of her expectations.
    Some of that weight she brought on herself. Remember, she's the one who put the "GOAT" on her uniform. At the same time, one of the Russian guys went out there only 3 months after surgery to repair a torn achilles tendon to help his team win gold.

While she did what she thought was best for the team, I think she got flustered with all the pressure and quit on the team. That's just my opinion. What is interesting is the quote from a teammate that said they don't owe it to anyone to win a gold medal. I hate to break it to them, but that's the only reason you are there! You aren't there to just have a good time and play around. It you're on the USA Olympic team, you job is to win gold. If you don't think that's why you're there then get out of the way so someone who really wants to win gold can take your place.

Quote Originally Posted by cjr3888 View Post
    Some of that weight she brought on herself. Remember, she's the one who put the "GOAT" on her uniform.
    Four Olympic Gold medals & seven national titles.....

Simon Biles -"I just hope that kids growing up watching this don't or aren't ashamed of being good at whatever they do,” Biles said of the goat leotard. “And that's my problem: when people kind of harp on other people that are good at something. And it's like, everybody can say you're good, but once you acknowledge it, it's not cool anymore. And I want kids to learn that, yes, it's okay to acknowledge that you're good or even great at something."

As a father of three female athletes I get it.

I'm glad the media and fellow athletes are reaching out to her and supporting her, because she needs the support. I'm a very sympathetic fellow, but I agree with another poster - if you're going to put a GOAT on your leotard, that was a terrible look.

Could you imagine if Tom Brady benched himself during the 4th quarter of the Super Bowl and said that he's tired of playing football for other people, and that it isn't fun anymore? And that he felt his backup would give his team a better chance to win? Just weird that decision is being celebrated.

Between this, Naomi Osaka, and the recent talk of non-alphas on the baseball team...guessing this is gonna be more prevalent moving forward as a generational thing.

11. Default Re: Is it quiting, or a bold and unselfish move for the benefit of the team?

Tom Brady is not a good example. He is not doing double secret negative flips with a twist on a 4 inch beam where if you fail to complete 10% of the jump, your head or back is landing on that beam. Tom Brady can always just go down, this athlete can’t in mid air.

Unless you really know what is going on, and ALL the facts surrounding the decision, you as a fan have no right to judge.

Tom Brady is not a good example. He is not doing double secret negative flips with a twist on a 4 inch beam where if you fail to complete 10% of the jump, your head or back is landing on that beam. Tom Brady can always just go down, this athlete can’t in mid air.

Unless you really know what is going on, and ALL the facts surrounding the decision, you as a fan have no right to judge.
    Yea, you're right. When Tom Brady has a mental slip and is getting sacked from his blindside, all he has to do is go down. At least he's not on that balance beam. Gymnasts can elect to have a coach spot them if they need.

I'm not gonna go beyond that in defending an analogy, but I will say I have every right to judge. Athletes have every right to ignore a random poster on RP.

13. Default Re: Is it quiting, or a bold and unselfish move for the benefit of the team?

QB’s get sacked from their blindside every game. That is an expected risk of the sport.

And when we become known as a judgmental fan base to athletes thinking about coming here, we will see what we get. I’m not talking about things like failing to execute X’s and O’s or failure to be in shape or lack of speed or preparation. I’m talking about judging in situations like Ms Bile and Connor Angel. These types of things are very infrequent and should be processed in a different realm.

Quote Originally Posted by ULvictory View Post
    I've been seeing many "she's a quitter" on one side while the other is giving the "how stunning and brave" spiel. I think it's neither.

I think based on the evidence of her medical history, she made a mature decision to say, "You know what? I'm not 100% in my mental state to continue this competition and with that, my presence to compete will hurt the team." So she bowed out. I had a convo with some fellow Cajun posters, and one of them brought up a very valid point that I totally agree with: She's Human.

I think it's safe to say that she's the greatest American gymnast to grace the floor. She has also been an upstanding role model. Was it odd at first when she left? Sure. But I get it. As for people trying to harshly criticize her decision or straight up laud her as a hero, just leave her be for now lol.
    This!

She is neither villian or hero, she is human. She did what was best for team and for herself. She handled the press conference with class, she could have hid behind HIPPA and told the media it's none of your business.

15. Default Re: SEC: Are we the bad guys?

I oft wondered what really killed the Greek Olympics 1,600 years ago.

I'm thinking the fans got fed up with the antics.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information