Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Is it quiting, or a bold and unselfish move for the benefit of the team?

Default Re: Is it quiting, or a bold and unselfish move for the benefit of the team?

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    I relate this back to Connor Angel. Do any of you think for one second that he had any clue why he could not throw strikes?

Continuing to get on the mound had no chance of assisting his team, in fact it was hurting the team. It also has the coach in a quandary.

When a pitcher is on the mound and has no clue what to do to correct his issues, all continuing to roll him out there will do is give someone who throws with his velocity a chance to suffer an injury.
    Whats weird is im pretty sure Deggs and BJ had several rescources at their disposal to fix this situation INCLUDING the two or three people who helped him here locally. And ill leave it at that. Odd situation

Default Re: Is it quiting, or a bold and unselfish move for the benefit of the team?

What people don’t realize is that when a QB is mentally not sharp, they throw a few interceptions. When a gymnast doing a dismount of two flips and a double twist are not mentally on their game, they land on their neck and die. She knows her body and her mind and if it ain’t right at any moment, it could be a matter of life and death.

3. Default Re: Is it quiting, or a bold and unselfish move for the benefit of the team?

Quote Originally Posted by beaux66 View Post
    What people don’t realize is that when a QB is mentally not sharp, they throw a few interceptions. When a gymnast doing a dismount of two flips and a double twist are not mentally on their game, they land on their neck and die. She knows her body and her mind and if it ain’t right at any moment, it could be a matter of life and death.
    Common sense, but yes, many lack it.

Quote Originally Posted by beaux66 View Post
    Yeah, I think her real issue has gotten lost in the noise. People saw "mental health" and thought she was having some sort of a mental breakdown, when really she was just having the gymnastics equivalent of the "yips." She was having trouble controlling and feeling her body in the air which is why she couldn't land anything in practice. She's not a hero. She's not a bum. She stepped down because it was obviously the only choice.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post
    Yeah, I think her real issue has gotten lost in the noise. People saw "mental health" and thought she was having some sort of a mental breakdown, when really she was just having the gymnastics equivalent of the "yips." She was having trouble controlling and feeling her body in the air which is why she couldn't land anything in practice. She's not a hero. She's not a bum. She stepped down because it was obviously the only choice.
    What about the fact that the awful judges were scoring her lower than she deserved because she was doing routines that no one else can do? (Let's not make the lesser athletes feel bad!) There's some validity to her stepping down for the benefit of the team scoring. It's a shame that the "Everyone gets a trophy" mentality rears it's head even at the highest level in the Olympics.

Quote Originally Posted by ragin50 View Post
    What about the fact that the awful judges were scoring her lower than she deserved because she was doing routines that no one else can do? (Let's not make the lesser athletes feel bad!) There's some validity to her stepping down for the benefit of the team scoring. It's a shame that the "Everyone gets a trophy" mentality rears it's head even at the highest level in the Olympics.
    The whole scoring thing with her was ridiculous. Since when does the Olympics show favoritism like this to anyone or any country?

Quote Originally Posted by ULvictory View Post
    I've been seeing many "she's a quitter" on one side while the other is giving the "how stunning and brave" spiel. I think it's neither.

I think based on the evidence of her medical history, she made a mature decision to say, "You know what? I'm not 100% in my mental state to continue this competition and with that, my presence to compete will hurt the team." So she bowed out. I had a convo with some fellow Cajun posters, and one of them brought up a very valid point that I totally agree with: She's Human.

I think it's safe to say that she's the greatest American gymnast to grace the floor. She has also been an upstanding role model. Was it odd at first when she left? Sure. But I get it. As for people trying to harshly criticize her decision or straight up laud her as a hero, just leave her be for now lol.
    I look at it from a different angle. It’s called staying to fulfill contractual obligations with sponsors that required her face to be on tv. Plain and simple, she has to be there.

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    I look at it from a different angle. It’s called staying to fulfill contractual obligations with sponsors that required her face to be on tv. Plain and simple, she has to be there.
    What sponsor requires her participation in events. I know a ton of sports people commercials while on the IL

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Malkinson View Post
    What sponsor requires her participation in events. I know a ton of sports people commercials while on the IL
    The once every 4 year stage I can only imagine it’s much like NASCAR…every person or logo has camera time measure.

And of course, future sponsors. Not criticizing her, just pointing out the opportunity. I don’t care for some of the remarks in the article but understand the bottom line.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...ic-withdrawal/

Quote Originally Posted by ULvictory View Post
    The whole scoring thing with her was ridiculous. Since when does the Olympics show favoritism like this to anyone or any country?
    That's why if I were in the Olympics, I would not want to compete in an event that's judged. You work your tail off for most of your life, and some crooked or incompetent judge takes it away from you. In swimming or track if you cross the finish line first, you win, period.

It's Japan. Just like China in 2008, the judges are biased towards the home team. Anything they can do to put the Japanese/Chinese over - they will.
    Gold Medal Count since 2000
    2000 Games (Sydney) - USA 37 China 28 (3rd)
    2004 Games (Athens) - USA 36 China 32 (2nd)
    2008 Games (BEIJING) - China 48 USA 36
    2012 Games (London) - USA 46 China 38 (3rd)
    2016 Games (Rio) - USA 46 China 26 (3rd)
    2021 Games (Tokyo) - China 24 USA 20 *Unfinished

See a pattern? Guess who is in 3rd place with 17? Japan. FYI We lead total medal count 59 to 51 (China). They could care less about silver and bronze. They want first - but for a totally different reason.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information