Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 12 ... LastLast

Thread: OUUT! ... OU, UT to join SEC

Default Re: UT and OU to join SEC?

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    Yes but I guess what I'm saying is that other P5 conferences could poach teams remaining in the Big 12 which could affect schools like ours. Just like Colorado and Nebraska leaving for other conferences in recent years. You could possibly see more schools leave to either the Pac-10 or Big 10 opening up more slots.
    I could see Iowa St. and Kan St. bolt for the Big 10 and West Virginia for the ACC almost immediately if this happens. Baylor and Ok State are awkward fits for other conferences, but they would probably land somewhere. Once the dominos start falling, the Big 12 is DOA.

Grantvb's Avatar Grantvb is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

BYU/Boise/nevada (or UNLV) to the PAC. Cincinatti to the B10

Texas has, during the years, been in talks with both the SEC and the PAC-12. I believe they came close to joining the PAC-12 a while back. The hang up has always been money. The PAC-12 insisted that Texas agree to the same financial terms as the other schools and give up the special monetary provisions they enjoy with the Big12.

I can't imagine the SEC allowing them to be treated differently than the other schools, and I am astonished that Texas would be willing to give up that money.

Plus, the can't win in the Big 12. How the heck would they do anything in the SEC?????

Quote Originally Posted by covcaj View Post
    Texas has, during the years, been in talks with both the SEC and the PAC-12. I believe they came close to joining the PAC-12 a while back. The hang up has always been money. The PAC-12 insisted that Texas agree to the same financial terms as the other schools and give up the special monetary provisions they enjoy with the Big12.

I can't imagine the SEC allowing them to be treated differently than the other schools, and I am astonished that Texas would be willing to give up that money.

Plus, the can't win in the Big 12. How the heck would they do anything in the SEC?????
    A UT and OK "enhanced" SEC might actually mean UT wouldn't have to take a pay cut. The Big 12 television renewal talks have gone nowhere - this new SEC could be the monster that swallowed college football. The Big 10 would be virtually forced to expand to compete with it. The Pac 12 has no chance of competing with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Grantvb View Post
    BYU/Boise/nevada (or UNLV) to the PAC. Cincinatti to the B10
    Until Nebraska joined, the BIG was very proud that every one of their member schools were members of the American Association of Universities (AAU). This is the premier higher ed academic organization, just 66 members nationally. Nebraska had been a member for years, maybe a founding member, but lost that status shortly after joining the conference. It would be interesting to see if they are willing to have other non AAU schools join the conference.

6. Default Re: UT and OU to join SEC?

Man I wish Louisiana was Independent right now.

Outside of the SEC they would be in the #1 package of any P5 conference making adjustments.

Quote Originally Posted by angeleast View Post
    Texas A and M will throw a fit. Guess their opinion don't matter in the big scheme .
    https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...-want-join-sec

Longhorn network isn’t making it as expected, I can see UT and ESPN mutually agreeing to shut it down. Aggies will blink, they have no choice.

Don’t know if this is just Texas trying to get in the SEC or leverage against the PAC 12. They best be prudent, after this shake up you better like your conference...a lot.

Texas and Oklahoma brings the SEC up to the magic 16 membership. Four 16 team conferences works out nicely for the big boys.

Now who tries next, BIG10 or ACC? PAC12 and whatever is left of the Big 12 fighting for scraps.

I’m sure Maggard has a plan, but we need to be ready.

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...-want-join-sec

Longhorn network isn’t making it as expected, I can see UT and ESPN mutually agreeing to shut it down. Aggies will blink, they have no choice.

Texas and Oklahoma brings the SEC up to the magic 16 membership. Four 16 team conferences works out nicely for the big boys.

Now who tries next, BIG10 or ACC? PAC12 and whatever is left of the Big 12 fighting for scraps.

I’m sure Maggard has a plan, but we need to be ready.
    Big 10 moves immediately to get 2 from this bunch: Notre Dame, Kansas St., Iowa St., and West Virginia.

ACC grabs West Virginia if possible. If not, maybe Notre Dame or Cincinnati.

PAC stubbornly refuses to add BYU, Air Force, Nevada, or Boise. Because they think they are better than that. They try to get Ok. State and Baylor for a bizarre geographic footprint. They look to TT and Kansas to "even out" the conference geographically. This probably doesn't work and the PAC is left as a second rate conference.

If Ok. State and Baylor decide to pass on the PAC 12, then what's left of the Big 12 will have to add Memphis, Houston, Ark. State, Tulsa, UL, La Tech, and/or maybe Cincinnati. The AAC teams might not agree to bolt.

If the Big 12 folds, the AAC grabs whoever they can from Kansas, Ok. State, Baylor, Tex Tech, or TCU.

New Mexico and New Mexico St. desperately beg for someone to take them but no one wants anything to do with them.

Who's left when the music stops?

Where’s the PowerPoint??

If UT and OU leave the big12 is done. A few more schools go their separate ways and you’re looking at a watered down southwest conference.

Quote Originally Posted by MDMullet8 View Post
    If UT and OU leave the big12 is done. A few more schools go their separate ways and you’re looking at a watered down southwest conference.
    Yes, please! Could our diamond sports, basketball FACILITIES, and current football situation be attractive to a league like that?

IF Texas and Oklahoma join SEC, and the have come close before, it will be interesting to see other conferences response. Certainly the Big 12 will have to respond, but they might lose their Power 5 standing as did the AAC after the Big East breakup. Who would they get to join? Cincinnatti? Boise? Hardly equal replacements.

The next question is what would ACC, BIG, and PAC 12 do? Would they have to expand? Why? Outside of Notre Dame, as with the Big12, who would they get that would be at least a mid level competitor in their respective conferences? Why would you add an inferior school unless the brought in a big market as did Rutgers? Maybe the two Kansas schools or Iowa State, though they are not powerhouses in football, which drives the bus.

If there is someone like that, please tell me. Cause I can't think of anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by covcaj View Post
    IF Texas and Oklahoma join SEC, and the have come close before, it will be interesting to see other conferences response. Certainly the Big 12 will have to respond, but they might lose their Power 5 standing as did the AAC after the Big East breakup. Who would they get to join? Cincinnatti? Boise? Hardly equal replacements.

The next question is what would ACC, BIG, and PAC 12 do? Would they have to expand? Why? Outside of Notre Dame, as with the Big12, who would they get that would be at least a mid level competitor in their respective conferences? Why would you add an inferior school unless the brought in a big market as did Rutgers? Maybe the two Kansas schools or Iowa State, though they are not powerhouses in football, which drives the bus.

If there is someone like that, please tell me. Cause I can't think of anyone.
    I can see them picking WVU and Ok St. If OK and Texas jump the Big 12 is done as a P5. Full stop. We can start talking about the P4 and G6. The Iowa State, Baylor, Kansas State of the would have their athletic budgets pretty much cut by, what, 35-40% if UT and the Sooners bolt. The Big 12 TV revenue keeps them in the game with the powerful P5 schools.

IF this happens, and it may not, but if it does, I don’t see how this helps any G5 program no matter how strong. This consolidates powerful teams into fewer, more powerful conferences. It is shaving the strongest teams out of the weaker P5 conferences and leaving the remainder to fall into the G5.

If it does go down, the next SEC TV deal will be staggering.

For the Big 12 to get from 8 to 16: Tulsa, Memphis, Cinncinatti, SMU, UL, stAte, USM, UAB.

All of these bring usually competitive football, and most bring one or more really competitive sports other than football. With Kansas, OSU, Baylor, Texas Tech, Tulsa, SMU, Memphis and Cincy, the conference would be very good in men's hoops. It would also be very good in both baseball and softball.

Just wondering what is the ranking order of G5 teams that might be chosen and are we in the hunt......quick guess of Houston, Memphis, Cinn as the first in line.... Tulsa, tTulane, ark st, UL ltur....please add who is missing.... Why are we in the hunt and what are our credentials in the academic, population, enrollment, attendance, facilities and performance compared to the field? Been needing an update for a long time!

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 12 ... LastLast

Thread Information