Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: NCAA boss Emmert says the organizations time has come

Cajun90's Avatar Cajun90 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

NCAA NCAA boss Emmert says the organizations time has come

Wow. Emmert basically says the NCAA's time has come....

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/...college-sports

Default Re: NCAA boss Emmert says the organizations time has come

He is basically saying let the rich get richer, it’s not about the players..let the big schools do what they want...under the guise of “let everyone do what they want”

Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    He is basically saying let the rich get richer, it’s not about the players..let the big schools do what they want...under the guise of “let everyone do what they want”
    He just basically said the NCAA is dead and college sports will change for better or worse……. This is going to get ugly before it gets better……hopefully this will not lead to no structure at all because the CFP is boring with the same teams every year… we need parody to keep things exciting….there needs to be a salary cap and reduced amount of guys on scholly on the roster…bring that number down to 70 would make it interesting.

4. Default Re: NCAA boss Emmert says the organizations time has come

Being uniquely positioned as it is, its time for Louisiana to go independent and crack open the worldwide Francophone market.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Being uniquely positioned as it is, its time for Louisiana to go independent and crack open the worldwide Francophone market.
    Oh my goodness, please not again with this. I want to hope you are trying to being funny, but I know you are not.

6. Default Re: NCAA boss Emmert says the organizations time has come

Quote Originally Posted by RaginDave View Post
    Oh my goodness, please not again with this. I want to hope you are trying to being funny, but I know you are not.
    I would add, brilliantly serious.

You are invited to climb out of the late 1990's bog any time you want.

I would add, brilliantly serious.

You are invited to climb out of the late 1990's bog any time you want.
    Turbine, how do you fund just one football schedule? Every game has a price tag for they are all OOC. Now add in the other sports. It can be done but we are trying to grow our athletic budget, not destroy it.

Quote Originally Posted by moorecajun View Post
    Turbine, how do you fund just one football schedule? Every game has a price tag for they are all OOC. Now add in the other sports. It can be done but we are trying to grow our athletic budget, not destroy it.
    Wait, wait, wait.....Let me answer this for Turbine......With his standard answers.

BYU, Notre Dame, Army etc, etc. But we are not BYU and we are not Notre Dame and we are not Army. The others that are currently independents are Liberty (we can talk about that one), NMSU, UMASS and UCONN. Let's review how easy it is for these schools (schools that we are much closer to then the ones listed above both financially and historically). By the way, I have challenged Turbine many times to debate this but to no avail.

Liberty went FBS in 2018, they have been independent since then, they are the better model, but still lightyears above us financially. In 2018, their schedule included Old Dominion (another just recent FBS move up), Army, UNT, UNM, NMSU, Troy, Idaho State, UMASS, Virginia, Auburn, NMSU and Norfolk State. That is 2 FCS teams, 1 recent move up and playing a terrible FBS independent twice. In 2019 they played, Syracuse, UL, Buffalo, Hampton, UNM, NMSU, Maine, Rutgers, UMASS, BYU, UVA and NMSU. So that year they played NMSU twice again and 2 FCS schools. Finally I won't count the Covid year because everyone was screwed up. This year They finally have a normal schedule with 1 FCS. But again, they are a different animal because of their financial abilities. The teams that are similar to us in history and even these are financially better than us, traditionally are playing multiple FCS and money games in 1 season, or less home games. Uconn has back to back bye weeks this year.

Scheduling as an independent that is not BYU, Army, ND or even Liberty is tough, way to tough and at the end of the day we will play a schedule that is either way worse (in competition level) or insanely crazy in bye weeks, multiple money games, Flying cross country in back to back weeks, etc.

Going independent unless you have the history or the fininacial resources to do so, is athletic suicide. UMASS, UCONN and NMSU unless something happens soon will not be playing FBS football, that is a fact. Those teams were a combined 4-32 in 2019, in 2018 they were a combined 8-28, it is just not sustainable.

We may not love the SBC, but teams having 8 conference games against the talent level of App, Coastal, Georgia Southern, Troy, Arkansas State and then off an on years where Georgia State and others are better than average is very nice. It means we only have to schedule 1 money game, 1 home FBS G5, 1 Road G5 and an FCS opponent. That is so much easier than 12 games where you will have 2 money road games and 1 FCS opponent that are fairly easy to figure out. Then you have to schedule 5 home games vs opponents that either SUCK or will not play you in CF unless you sign a 3 for 1. We struggle now to schedule 4 out of conference games and 1 is a road money game and the other is a local(ish) FCS school. How the hell are we going to figure out 12 games with 6 at home and not have the money to pay anyone.

I have not even begun to speak about the bowl tie-ins or lack there of. BYU and ND as well as Army are locked into bowl/NC tie-ins because of who they are. The other independents if they go 8-4 could be sitting at home and probably will be with maybe the exception of Liberty.

Is it possible to be a FBS independent, YES. Is it smart when you are in a conference that is no longer the cellar dweller of the G5 teams, NO. If the SBC would never have gained the momentum it has and would never have the competition level it has and would not have the bowl tie ins it has and would have continued to send 6-6 conference champions to bowl games then yes, it would have been a great move.

This year the SBC has a chance to have 3 Top 25 teams, probably 2 and another one receiving votes. Not many G5 conferences can say that. We had two teams that were in the NY6 bowl conversation last year.

Making that move today would be a huge mistake. And I have not even begun to discuss what would happen if the SBC decided that since we were not a football playing member that we could not be a non football conference mate. Try being an independent in baseball, softball, basketball, etc. Sure we could end up moving to the Southland, Horizon, A-SUN or similar conferences, but that would only be if they had a spot for us. Those conferences aren't always available and looking at the mess that the Southland is in now their is no way we would want to be there.

I could go on for hours discussing this irrational though process, but I think I have said enough for now.

Wow you said in 3 sentences what I just typed in like 7 paragraphs. Very well said.

Going independent unless you have the history or the fininacial resources to do so, is athletic suicide. UMASS, UCONN and NMSU unless something happens soon will not be playing FBS football, that is a fact. Those teams were a combined 4-32 in 2019, in 2018 they were a combined 8-28, it is just not sustainable.
    This ^^^^.

The perpetual flawed arguement of RP...people think we should be performing like private universites with money flowing like unicorn milk.

Turbine knows this is a tried and true thread mover. Ever think of it that way? I would not fault him for it, especially in the slow days of July, where the highlight of the month is bashing the mutts on the anniversary of their last dog killing.

I'm just wondering how fast the P-5's say bye bye.

11. Default Re: NCAA boss Emmert says the organizations time has come

EACH YEAR AVERAGE
    7 road games and 5 home games.
    (all home games at a consistent lifestyle time on Saturday night)

4: Appearance fees for 4 road games.
        generates $8 million annually.
    2: games yearly that include a 2-for-1
        guarantees one high quality opponent at Cajun Field yearly
    4: home-n-home games against solid competition.
    1: game that is a 1-for-2
    1: non return home game.

12. Default Re: NCAA boss Emmert says the organizations time has come

Wait, wait, wait.....Let me answer this for Turbine......With his standard answers.

BYU, Notre Dame, Army etc, etc. But we are not BYU and we are not Notre Dame and we are not Army. The others that are currently independents are Liberty (we can talk about that one), NMSU, UMASS and UCONN. Let's review how easy it is for these schools (schools that we are much closer to then the ones listed above both financially and historically). By the way, I have challenged Turbine many times to debate this but to no avail.

Liberty went FBS in 2018, they have been independent since then, they are the better model, but still lightyears above us financially. In 2018, their schedule included Old Dominion (another just recent FBS move up), Army, UNT, UNM, NMSU, Troy, Idaho State, UMASS, Virginia, Auburn, NMSU and Norfolk State. That is 2 FCS teams, 1 recent move up and playing a terrible FBS independent twice. In 2019 they played, Syracuse, UL, Buffalo, Hampton, UNM, NMSU, Maine, Rutgers, UMASS, BYU, UVA and NMSU. So that year they played NMSU twice again and 2 FCS schools. Finally I won't count the Covid year because everyone was screwed up. This year They finally have a normal schedule with 1 FCS. But again, they are a different animal because of their financial abilities. The teams that are similar to us in history and even these are financially better than us, traditionally are playing multiple FCS and money games in 1 season, or less home games. Uconn has back to back bye weeks this year.

Scheduling as an independent that is not BYU, Army, ND or even Liberty is tough, way to tough and at the end of the day we will play a schedule that is either way worse (in competition level) or insanely crazy in bye weeks, multiple money games, Flying cross country in back to back weeks, etc.

We may not love the SBC, but teams having 8 conference games against the talent level of App, Coastal, Georgia Southern, Troy, Arkansas State and then off an on years where Georgia State and others are better than average is very nice. It means we only have to schedule 1 money game, 1 home FBS G5, 1 Road G5 and an FCS opponent. That is so much easier than 12 games where you will have 2 money road games and 1 FCS opponent that are fairly easy to figure out. Then you have to schedule 5 home games vs opponents that either SUCK or will not play you in CF unless you sign a 3 for 1. We struggle now to schedule 4 out of conference games and 1 is a road money game and the other is a local(ish) FCS school. How the hell are we going to figure out 12 games with 6 at home and not have the money to pay anyone.

I have not even begun to speak about the bowl tie-ins or lack there of. BYU and ND as well as Army are locked into bowl/NC tie-ins because of who they are. The other independents if they go 8-4 could be sitting at home and probably will be with maybe the exception of Liberty.

Is it possible to be a FBS independent, YES. Is it smart when you are in a conference that is no longer the cellar dweller of the G5 teams, NO. If the SBC would never have gained the momentum it has and would never have the competition level it has and would not have the bowl tie ins it has and would have continued to send 6-6 conference champions to bowl games then yes, it would have been a great move.

This year the SBC has a chance to have 3 Top 25 teams, probably 2 and another one receiving votes. Not many G5 conferences can say that. We had two teams that were in the NY6 bowl conversation last year.

Making that move today would be a huge mistake. And I have not even begun to discuss what would happen if the SBC decided that since we were not a football playing member that we could not be a non football conference mate. Try being an independent in baseball, softball, basketball, etc. Sure we could end up moving to the Southland, Horizon, A-SUN or similar conferences, but that would only be if they had a spot for us. Those conferences aren't always available and looking at the mess that the Southland is in now their is no way we would want to be there.

I could go on for hours discussing this irrational though process, but I think I have said enough for now.
    Why do you have such a low self-worth of Louisiana's untapped worldwide marketing potential?

Why do you have such a low self-worth of Louisiana's untapped worldwide marketing potential?
    I don't, but I do know who we are and what we are. What I don't have is an inflated self worth. As the late Denny Green said, years ago...."We are who we thought they were."

We are not what we see, we are what others see in us, perception is reality and unfortunately our perception is that we are a middle of the road G5 program with higher potential then we have achieved to this point. But we are not and never will be ND or BYU. Not because we don't have the potential to compete, but we don't have the financial ability to compete at that level, which is unfortunately the truth.

EACH YEAR AVERAGE
    7 road games and 5 home games.
    (all home games at a consistent lifestyle time on Saturday night)

4: Appearance fees for 4 road games.
    generates $8 million annually.
    2: games yearly that include a 2-for-1
    guarantees one high quality opponent at Cajun Field yearly
    4: home-n-home games against solid competition.
    1: game that is a 1-for-2
    1: non return home game.
    You are making a huge assumption that others will work with us in that scenario, which is not a guarantee.

#1--Our fans hate 5 home games and you have already started off on the wrong foot. We will hear nothing but how awful it is that we have only 5 home games.

#2--Most big opponents don't want to travel to teams like us even if it is a 2 for 1. It will probably have to be a 3-1. So assuming that is an option is a huge assumption.

#3--we struggle to get solid competition now not being an independent. So maybe we keep the Liberty's/Ohio's, etc. But we do that now, no change.

#4--Good luck with a 1 for 2. That will be vs terrible opponents.

#5 --OKAY????

We do not get paid in a 2-1 situation. Both teams receive travel expenses, that is it. There is no payday.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information