Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: NCAA boss Emmert says the organizations time has come

Default Re: NCAA boss Emmert says the organizations time has come

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    UL's best schedule ever was as an Indy in 1996 with horrible facilities and as Southwestern Louisiana. Yet, we were able to schedule:

Florida (A) - Lost
    Texas A&M (H) - Won
    S. Miss (A) - Lost
    La Tech (H) - Won
    Houston (H) - Lost
    Ark State (H) - Won
    UAB (A) - Lost
    Memphis (H) - Won
    VA Tech (A) - Lost
    N. Ill (H) - Won
    Texas Tech (A) - Lost

We went 5-6 with close losses to UAB and Houston that could have given us a 7-4 record. Would love to play that kind of schedule today.

Joined the Big West the following year and won the conference with an 8-3 record. Schedule:

Utah State (H)
    Miami (Ohio) (A)
    Memphis (H)
    S. Miss - (H)
    Tulane (A)
    Ark State (A)
    N. Ill (A)
    San Jose State (H)
    Florida (A)
    UNLV (A)
    La Tech (H)

The football wheels fell off after that.

In 2002 in the early Sun Belt we played: (3-9)

Texas A&M
    Minnesota (H)
    Houston
    UAB (H)
    LSU
    NMSU
    MTSU
    N. Texas (H)
    Idaho (H)
    Ark State (H)
    Arkansas
    ULM

I don't think we've played comparable schedules since then and we did that as USL. What could we do today as Louisiana? Guess we will never know.
    We were in the big west from 93-95 and played similar schedules as the one played as an independent in 96. I’m assuming the 96 schedule was made when we were still in the big west.

Quote Originally Posted by MDMullet8 View Post
    Yeah that was one of bustles first years. Minnesota had 3 really good running backs. Marion barber, Thomas topeh and I canít remember the others name. One of those guys ran all over us. We kept it fairly respectable for a half or so
    Laurence Maroney was the other back. I think Ben Utech was at TE too. They were pretty darn good.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Did you lose track of yourself and forget post #4?
    French is dead as a universal language.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    Yeah, it’s so dead we have a festival every spring based on the French language yet more and more of the acts sing in English. But hey, a good reason to have a beer.

5. Default Re: NCAA boss Emmert says the organizations time has come

Huh?

This is about marketing to an untapped market and gaining a worldwide foothold.

French is the language of the heart for 300,000,000 people worldwide.

With the natural tie-in Louisiana should be "their" team.

I think we are getting way off topic here, but I do have two quick questions for Turbine and whomever is in the "THE CAJUNS NEED TO GO INDEPENDENT CAMP", that will probably end this debate.

#1. If this is truly the best option for the Cajuns, or hell for any above average G5 school. Why in the hell are teams not racing to become independents.

#2. And the other question, and more importantly, is why are the teams that are independents (with the exception of Notre Dame--we all know it is a financial game with them) and BYU all trying to join a conference as quickly as possible. Liberty has made their intentions known as well as New Mexico State, they both want to be in a conference, and not be independents. If the AAC would expand (they are currently at 12 and not looking) Army would want to join them immediately. The AAC kicked UCONN out because they were a football playing member only (a bad one might I add). UConn did not want to leave the AAC, the AAC did not want UCONN. UMASS had a contract with the MAC for 2 seasons, but both parties agreed that after the two seasons UMASS would look for a better option for football (UMASS did not make sense in MAC). UMASS is still trying to join a conference but as with UCONN above, they do not have many suitors. If tomorrow the ACC/AAC/Big 10/Big 12 or others contacted UMASS/UCONN/Liberty/Army they would all be in a conference immediately. Same goes for NMSU if they were contacted by the PAC 10 and/or even the MWC.

UMASS and UCONN and Army (although Army would probably take the AAC first becsuse of their rivalry with NAVY) would love to be in the ACC 1st, Big 10 2nd, AAC 3rd.
    Liberty would take anyone who would offer them
    NMSU would take PAC 12 and/or MWC.

Again, why are current conference teams not trying to go independent and why are all of the independents with the exception of ND and BYU looking to get into conferences.

I think those two above questions answer why the "CAJUNS NEED TO GO INDEPENDENT CAMP" is not the answer. If it was, tons of teams would be doing the same thing (they are not) and the current independents would rather stay that way (and they don't want to).

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    Yeah, it’s so dead we have a festival every spring based on the French language yet more and more of the acts sing in English. But hey, a good reason to have a beer.
    "We" have a festival. On a worldwide stage, spanish is much more recognized and spoken in more countries. The point is, I think Turbine is WAY off on his international marketing campaign ideas but oh well.

Huh?

This is about marketing to an untapped market and gaining a worldwide foothold.

French is the language of the heart for 300,000,000 people worldwide.

With the natural tie-in Louisiana should be "their" team.
    How many of those 300 million people give a shat about football in general, much less college football?

Quote Originally Posted by DieHard 1280 View Post
    How many of those 300 million people give a shat about football in general, much less college football?
    LOL. This is exactly my thought. Maybe Quebec would be the only possibility, but that would only last a year or 2.

10. Default Re: NCAA boss Emmert says the organizations time has come

Quote Originally Posted by DieHard 1280 View Post
    You are right we can't even market outside of Lafayette what was I thinking.

ps I was being sarcastic; Louisiana needs to learn how to market and just putting a French audio broadcast out there will garner attention everywhere.

If walking into a fully vetted market is the goal, you might as well just hang it up now.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginDave View Post
    I think we are getting way off topic here, but I do have two quick questions for Turbine and whomever is in the "THE CAJUNS NEED TO GO INDEPENDENT CAMP", that will probably end this debate.

#1. If this is truly the best option for the Cajuns, or hell for any above average G5 school. Why in the hell are teams not racing to become independents.

#2. And the other question, and more importantly, is why are the teams that are independents (with the exception of Notre Dame--we all know it is a financial game with them) and BYU all trying to join a conference as quickly as possible. Liberty has made their intentions known as well as New Mexico State, they both want to be in a conference, and not be independents. If the AAC would expand (they are currently at 12 and not looking) Army would want to join them immediately. The AAC kicked UCONN out because they were a football playing member only (a bad one might I add). UConn did not want to leave the AAC, the AAC did not want UCONN. UMASS had a contract with the MAC for 2 seasons, but both parties agreed that after the two seasons UMASS would look for a better option for football (UMASS did not make sense in MAC). UMASS is still trying to join a conference but as with UCONN above, they do not have many suitors. If tomorrow the ACC/AAC/Big 10/Big 12 or others contacted UMASS/UCONN/Liberty/Army they would all be in a conference immediately. Same goes for NMSU if they were contacted by the PAC 10 and/or even the MWC.

UMASS and UCONN and Army (although Army would probably take the AAC first becsuse of their rivalry with NAVY) would love to be in the ACC 1st, Big 10 2nd, AAC 3rd.
    Liberty would take anyone who would offer them
    NMSU would take PAC 12 and/or MWC.

Again, why are current conference teams not trying to go independent and why are all of the independents with the exception of ND and BYU looking to get into conferences.

I think those two above questions answer why the "CAJUNS NEED TO GO INDEPENDENT CAMP" is not the answer. If it was, tons of teams would be doing the same thing (they are not) and the current independents would rather stay that way (and they don't want to).
    BYU would also join a conference if they could get one to agree about them not playing on sundays. So basically notre dame is left and even they explored a relationship with the ACC

Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    BYU would also join a conference if they could get one to agree about them not playing on sundays. So basically notre dame is left and even they explored a relationship with the ACC
    But the french francophone market is an untapped resource...Independent here we come.

13. Default Re: NCAA boss Emmert says the organizations time has come

But the french francophone market is an untapped resource... Independent here we come.
    Going independent and eventually growing the brand through use of a one of a kind asset are unrelated.

Playing the best possible schedule with the highest source of income and developing interest along the way is lagniappe.

Going independent and eventually growing the brand through use of a one of a kind asset are unrelated.

Playing the best possible schedule with the highest source of income and developing interest along the way is lagniappe.
    And Lagniappe is derived from a Spanish phrase La yapa or napa. It is and has never been a french word, the Cajuns/Creoles adopted the word. So we probably should not try to use that as your argument.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginDave View Post
    And Lagniappe is derived from a Spanish phrase La yapa or napa. It is and has never been a french word, the Cajuns/Creoles adopted the word. So we probably should not try to use that as your argument.
    I grew up speaking both English and Cajun French. For over 50 years, no matter what the derivation, lagniappe has been French at my house.
    CajunVic

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread Information