Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: NCAA boss Emmert says the organizations time has come

Default Re: NCAA boss Emmert says the organizations time has come

Turbine is correct.

The collegiate world has been changing under our feet for decades, and that speed of change is about to go turbo. We can't afford to be caught flat footed, clinging to a business model that has been outdated for decades.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginDave View Post
    Cool, I love seeing us play NMSU twice in one season. I will pay for that every season.
    That's missing the question.

The real question is would you rather have a Tuesday Home Game against Kent State or a Saturday Holme game against NMSU that may or may not be a 2nd game.

I'll vote every freakin' time to play on the Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    Yeah, 35 years ago. Back when Va Tech and BYU were regulars on Thursday night, there was nothing else on TV and no internet. That may as well have been in the 1800's.

Playing on Thursdays now is a net negative.
    They still put 67k people in their stadium. Attendance in college football is going down regardless of the day. Why is Liberty trying to get in a conference when they are much closer to being a BYU or Notre Dame than we ever will be? They are a a private, rich, religious university and have been successful since moving up to FBS.

4. Default Re: NCAA boss Emmert says the organizations time has come

Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    Didn’t think you could take phone calls from the looney bin

I can take call originating "from" the bin.

Can you take incoming calls?

They still put 67k people in their stadium. Attendance in college football is going down regardless of the day. Why is Liberty trying to get in a conference when they are much closer to being a BYU or Notre Dame than we ever will be? They are a a private, rich, religious university and have been successful since moving up to FBS.
    consistently in all sports, might I add.

Check out their Football, Softball, Baseball and Basketball programs over the past few years. I know the negatives with Liberty, but man, they are going to be a force over the next few years. I still say the SBC would do well to invite them in, because whoever gets them, makes their conference immediately better in all of the "TV" sports.

6. Default Re: NCAA boss Emmert says the organizations time has come

Quote Originally Posted by moorecajun View Post
    Every single year you have to schedule 12 new opponents.
    Relationships lower that number to 8 or 9.

Regardless, let's say it is twelve...

It is magnitudes of order easier to schedule 12 games now than it was back when Stokley had to schedule 11.

When Stokley was wearing the AD and HC hat he had 87 teams to schedule with. Today there are over 130 potential opponents.

With the advent of 12 game seasons, the average regular season has been extended 2 weeks Teams have a longer seasons with twice the openings for OOC options.

Stokley had to blind call/cold call all 87 teams.

Today there are online databases that show which teams have openings -and when- for years to come. The scheduler only needs to contact teams that specifically fit their needs.

12 is the new 4

jmo

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    That's missing the question.

The real question is would you rather have a Tuesday Home Game against Kent State or a Saturday Holme game against NMSU that may or may not be a 2nd game.

I'll vote every freakin' time to play on the Saturday.
    Your argument does not hold water because we are not playing Kent State on a Tuesday, we are playing Ohio on a Thursday and that is the only non conference opponents on a Tuesday and a Thursday. Thursday's are better than Tuesdays for college football, because people expect some games on Thursdays plus it is closer to the weekend.

If I thought we could get 6 quality home games and 6 competitive road games being an independent than maybe I would consider it. But the fact is we will not get 6 quality home games (and by that I mean a team like Ohio or Liberty or UAB or similar). We will struggle every year to find 12 opponents to play, that is a fact.

Liberty is trying to get in a conference and they have plenty of money.
    Ö..Liberty will be to college sports what Evangel, John Curtis, a d Laf Christian are to HSÖ.there enrollment will be 75kÖ..they are Notre Dame Protestants with a greater base than the TCU,SMU,BYU,ETC GROUP!

It appears we have the right AD and president for what is coming. It would be foolish to think talks were not started in general long ago. With the NCAA waving the white flag, Iím sure back channels are blazing at all levels.

And Boomer is right. Liberty has the money to be attractive. Thatís the only ďreligionĒ that matters now.

Quote Originally Posted by MelRock View Post
    We do not get paid in a 2-1 situation. Both teams receive travel expenses, that is it. There is no payday.
    That is why our AD is against the 2 for 1 scheduling technique. That goes for basketball as well. On the other hand this philosophy is why we have not had a P5 team come to the Dome since 2006. I also donít recall Football hosting a P5 team since the A&M win in 1996, 25 years now.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    That is why our AD is against the 2 for 1 scheduling technique. That goes for basketball as well. On the other hand this philosophy is why we have not had a P5 team come to the Dome since 2006. I also don’t recall Football hosting a P5 team since the A&M win in 1996, 25 years now.
    We beat Kansas state at home and played Oklahoma state at home also.

We beat Kansas state at home and played Oklahoma state at home also.
    Thanks for the reminder. That lapse shows my memory is starting to fade. Happens with age to all of us I guess. I was at both of those games. K State had disappointing attendance due to late afternoon rainstorm. Won it on last second FG. Ok State was on a Friday night of festival weekend. Played great early and had halftime lead. Faded in second half and Cowboys had it in hand midway through 4th quarter. That was in later years of Bustle era. Forget exact year, maybe 2009. I guess Oklahoma State was the last major school to visit. If it was 2009, that is going on a Dozen years. I am fairly confident those games were part of 2 for 1 deals. The way things stand now, I probably will not live to see a P5 opponent in Cajun Field again.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Thanks for the reminder. That lapse shows my memory is starting to fade. Happens with age to all of us I guess. I was at both of those games. K State had disappointing attendance due to late afternoon rainstorm. Won it on last second FG. Ok State was on a Friday night of festival weekend. Played great early and had halftime lead. Faded in second half and Cowboys had it in hand midway through 4th quarter. That was in later years of Bustle era. Forget exact year, maybe 2009. I guess Oklahoma State was the last major school to visit. If it was 2009, that is going on a Dozen years. I am fairly confident those games were part of 2 for 1 deals. The way things stand now, I probably will not live to see a P5 opponent in Cajun Field again.
    I must be old…Alabama came here. That ain’t happening again.

I remember sitting outside our old Winnie camper drinking that Friday night and these Bluebird campers rolled in. Game was decent, Alabama won the NC the next year if I remember with Gene Stallings.

14. Default Re: NCAA boss Emmert says the organizations time has come

Quote Originally Posted by MelRock View Post
    We do not get paid in a 2-1 situation. Both teams receive travel expenses, that is it. There is no payday.
    I can't point to the example but I've read of a reduced payday for the first visit and no payday for the second visit with the idea being a sell out crowd for the single return visit.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Being uniquely positioned as it is, its time for Louisiana to go independent and crack open the worldwide Francophone market.
    And be "Franc" about every TD, HR, ACE, SD and SCCCCOOOORRREEE we phone in! Like a Franc-O-Boom!

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread Information