Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Softball Transfers

1. Default Re: Softball Transfers

So, who is willing to wait?

Fans are not willing to wait for results.

Young freshmen recruits are not willing to wait and develop to play (look at the two recent transfers announced yesterday)

So, in this climate, where does a coach go?

It looks like it will be building a team, year in and year out. We better get used to it.

Default Re: Softball Transfers

1420 just posted the transfer news today. Nothing like being a day late and a dollar short.

Quote Originally Posted by roarman View Post
    1420 just posted the transfer news today. Nothing like being a day late and a dollar short.
    They're still ahead of the UL website. Nothing there about it yet, $2 short.

4. Default ESPN 1420 UL Softball Adds a Pair of Washington Husky Transfers

Two best friends who played softball together in the PAC-12 at the University of Washington are traveling down south together to play for Louisiana's Ragin' Cajuns.

Quote Originally Posted by ragin50 View Post
    They're still ahead of the UL website. Nothing there about it yet, $2 short.
    Nothing is official until they are enrolled in class. Compliance doesn't allow them to list it on the official athletics website. It's been this way since I can remember.

Most of the time it is guys like us telling them the scoop.

Roar just curious what is your take on transfers?

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    Nothing is official until they are enrolled in class. Compliance doesn't allow them to list it on the official athletics website. It's been this way since I can remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Looney Lou View Post
    I emphatically agree. I am getting the idea that Gerry does not like to teach.

In 2008, UL won its first game in the WCWS. There were 4 first time freshmen on the field. Gabby Bridges, 1b, Katie Smith, lf, Donna Bourgeois, P, and Ashley Brignac, P. There were 2 senior transfers, Vanessa Soto, 2b and Brooke Broadhead, ss. It can be done.
    What makes you think he doesn't like to teach? I personally believe developing kids is a strength of his. The portal doesn't give you much time to develop or teach kids because when they don't receive the validation or playing time that they are looking for they quit and look for the next best thing. Their will be very few kids who stays on a roster for 4 or 5 years with the same team.

Quote Originally Posted by JMVCAJUNS View Post
    Roar just curious what is your take on transfers?
    It's complicated. The transfer portal is the new paradigm. It has exploded and is changing the way things are done. I think it will take at least a couple of more years to see what's the best way to build a team.

Almost all major teams now have a couple or a few transfers. I think it depends on how members of the coaching staff handle the situation.

It's complicated. The transfer portal is the new paradigm. It has exploded and is changing the way things are done. I think it will take at least a couple of more years to see what's the best way to build a team.

Almost all major teams now have a couple or a few transfers. I think it depends on how members of the coaching staff handle the situation.
    Do you feel that the Cajuns need to attack the portal to remain relevant and deep playoff competitive? Or can we do that with the high school route and say 2 or less transfers a year? I think coaches never know how their roster will look from year to year, so it is hard to plan for the future. I think we are in the year to year build at the moment and for at least a few more years.

I think it will take another 5 to 7 years before coaches AND athletes really learn how to utilize the portal. I think over time there could be fewer athletes enter the portal if the stats start showing that a high percentage don’t necessarily find greener grass on the other side of the fence.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information