Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Softball Transfers

1. Default Re: Softball Transfers

Quote Originally Posted by roarman View Post
    The news is no longer a secret. It's out there. All you have to do is look for it.

The two players transferring in are both from the University of Washington. They are Ari Quinones and Stormy Kotzelnick.

Quinones, a utility player, was a junior last year, so, I'm assuming she has one year of eligibility remaining. She is from Vista, California. Last year she appeared in 12 games. She had a total of 13 at bats and had five hits for a .385 average.

Stormy, an infielder, is from Carmel, California. She committed to the Huskies at the age of 13. She was a freshman last year and may have been redshirted, as there are no stats for her for the 2021 season. So, she may have four years of eligibility remaining.

There. I did it. The beans have been spilled.
    I would give positive reputation for this post.

Default Re: Softball Transfers

Quote Originally Posted by JMVCAJUNS View Post
    I am super excited that UL softball will be getting two transfers from a big time school. Stay tuned folks Coach Glasco is doing work! Not sure when it will be officially announced. One is a infielder and one is a utility kid.
    The self-donned "Regional Glasco" wants to rid his self given title now!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by UL_Cajuns View Post
    The self-donned "Regional Glasco" wants to rid his self given title now!!!!!!
    If you ain't trying then you dying. The game has changed nobody will build programs anymore. Every team could be built as a yearly team due to the fact you never know who will return from year to year. It is hard to look ahead now days.

Quote Originally Posted by JMVCAJUNS View Post
    I am super excited that UL softball will be getting two transfers from a big time school. Stay tuned folks Coach Glasco is doing work! Not sure when it will be officially announced. One is a infielder and one is a utility kid.
    Thanks for the info as always !!

Quote Originally Posted by angeleast View Post
    No problem, anytime Coach. These were the two kids that I was telling you about last week. Glad that they are going to be a part of Lousiana softball.

6. Default Re: Softball Transfers

Quote Originally Posted by angeleast View Post
    You should thank roarman, he actually gave the board information.

The news is no longer a secret. It's out there. All you have to do is look for it.

The two players transferring in are both from the University of Washington. They are Ari Quinones and Stormy Kotzelnick.

Quinones, a utility player, was a junior last year, so, I'm assuming she has one year of eligibility remaining. She is from Vista, California. Last year she appeared in 12 games. She had a total of 13 at bats and had five hits for a .385 average.

Stormy, an infielder, is from Carmel, California. She committed to the Huskies at the age of 13. She was a freshman last year and may have been redshirted, as there are no stats for her for the 2021 season. So, she may have four years of eligibility remaining.

Quinones was a red-shirt sophomore last year. She will have 2 year left to play. It is my understanding that Coach Glasco only wants to take a one year transfer if they are an immediate impact player eg...Bryan. If not he would prefer to get 2, 3, or 4 year eligibility transfers.

Glad to see the Cajuns getting more transfers! We have had a solid softball program for years so to see the team continuing to succeed always makes me happy! Ari definitely sounds promising, as she has more experience. Hopefully these two transfers can make an impact next season!

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoCajun View Post
    Glad to see the Cajuns getting more transfers! We have had a solid softball program for years so to see the team continuing to succeed always makes me happy! Ari definitely sounds promising, as she has more experience. Hopefully these two transfers can make an impact next season!
    Very good post for a 14 year old fan.

UL Softball Re: Softball Transfers

Ok. I get it. Gerry likes to recruit. And it's easier and quicker to recruit a proven (to a certain degree) Division 1 player who is immediately looking for a home than it is a high school player that is unproven against Division 1 competition and one you have to wait for. I also understand that the way the transfer portal is now arranged has dynamically changed college athletics. But there are lessons to be learned from those who have used transfers for years and have remained at the highest level of Division 1 softball.

Superficially, I don't have a problem using the portal for recruiting purposes. I do have a problem with overstocking your team with somebody else's players. It sends a message that you can't evaluate talent as you watch them over the 4-6 years they are in high school and travel ball nor train them once they are on your roster. If you look at the programs that have successfully utilized transfers over the years and are among the elite in college softball, when they recruit transfers, they are normally impact pitchers, not position players. Even when they do get a position player, it's never more than 2, they never bring in someone who will disrupt the core of the team. The core of the team is the incoming freshman class that is trained by the upperclassmen in the reality of what this program is about. Those who don't "get it" are never allowed into positions of leadership and influence, and cannot damage the flow of the program.

From my perspective, if Gerry keeps bringing in more transfers, he will rarely, if ever, make it beyond regionals. I know it's not true in every case, but transfers are about their own agenda. They leave a program for their own reasons and they bring those issues with them. It doesn't matter if they are transferring with 1, 2 or 3 years of eligibility left, they have to be taught the new system and the core values of that new team. The more transfers there are, the longer it takes and the more difficult the task.

There is one thing about this program that is the same as at every other elite program in the country: it does not rebuild, it reloads. There is only one thing left for this program to accomplish: win a national championship. Like other elite programs, it dominates it's league, it is successful against other elite programs, it hosts regionals, it wins regionals and super regionals, it has won games in the World Series. If Gerry will take one season to let his core recruits establish the foundation that all other recruiting classes must abide, he will find that it won't take long to be in the World Series and become a viable threat to win the national championship. It will happen quicker without transfers.

12. Default Re: Softball Transfers

Quote Originally Posted by lcitsh View Post
    Ok. I get it. Gerry likes to recruit. And it's easier and quicker to recruit a proven (to a certain degree) Division 1 player who is immediately looking for a home than it is a high school player that is unproven against Division 1 competition and one you have to wait for. I also understand that the way the transfer portal is now arranged has dynamically changed college athletics. But there are lessons to be learned from those who have used transfers for years and have remained at the highest level of Division 1 softball.

Superficially, I don't have a problem using the portal for recruiting purposes. I do have a problem with overstocking your team with somebody else's players. It sends a message that you can't evaluate talent as you watch them over the 4-6 years they are in high school and travel ball nor train them once they are on your roster. If you look at the programs that have successfully utilized transfers over the years and are among the elite in college softball, when they recruit transfers, they are normally impact pitchers, not position players. Even when they do get a position player, it's never more than 2, they never bring in someone who will disrupt the core of the team. The core of the team is the incoming freshman class that is trained by the upperclassmen in the reality of what this program is about. Those who don't "get it" are never allowed into positions of leadership and influence, and cannot damage the flow of the program.

From my perspective, if Gerry keeps bringing in more transfers, he will rarely, if ever, make it beyond regionals. I know it's not true in every case, but transfers are about their own agenda. They leave a program for their own reasons and they bring those issues with them. It doesn't matter if they are transferring with 1, 2 or 3 years of eligibility left, they have to be taught the new system and the core values of that new team. The more transfers there are, the longer it takes and the more difficult the task.

There is one thing about this program that is the same as at every other elite program in the country: it does not rebuild, it reloads. There is only one thing left for this program to accomplish: win a national championship. Like other elite programs, it dominates it's league, it is successful against other elite programs, it hosts regionals, it wins regionals and super regionals, it has won games in the World Series. If Gerry will take one season to let his core recruits establish the foundation that all other recruiting classes must abide, he will find that it won't take long to be in the World Series and become a viable threat to win the national championship. It will happen quicker without transfers.
    If I could give reputation, I would give this post a thumbs up. But no . . .

Like I told you earlier when we where texting back and forth your feedback on softball is always appreciated. Great post and overview by the way! You are the man when it comes to Cajun softball and softball overall. I will call you tomorrow to discuss. Thanks Mr. H.

^+1000 couldn't agree more

15. UL Softball Re: Softball Transfers

" The core of the team is the incoming freshman class that is trained by the upperclassmen in the reality of what this program is about.

If Gerry will take one season to let his core recruits establish the foundation that all other recruiting classes must abide, he will find that it won't take long to be in the World Series and become a viable threat to win the national championship. It will happen quicker without transfers.
    I emphatically agree. I am getting the idea that Gerry does not like to teach.

In 2008, UL won its first game in the WCWS. There were 4 first time freshmen on the field. Gabby Bridges, 1b, Katie Smith, lf, Donna Bourgeois, P, and Ashley Brignac, P. There were 2 senior transfers, Vanessa Soto, 2b and Brooke Broadhead, ss. It can be done.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information