Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: UL plans to extend contracts for five coaches, including Marlin, Deggs, Glasco

Default Re: UL plans to extend contracts for five coaches, including Marlin, Deggs, Glasco

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Once again the extension is only pertinent with success due to the buyout not increasing. If a disappointing season occurs, the administration can make a change with no increase in the financial obligation they had before today. As MAT said, this is somewhat symbolic. Perhaps the staff told potential recruits that an extension was pending. If so, that may have helped bring new talent on board. I imagine the pandemic was a major reason in the decision to extend ALL the coaches one year. Note, Coach Brodhead received a two year extension due to the WBB team winning the regular season championship. His contract called for 1 year to be given automatically with that accomplishment. Similar language is in the contracts for all these coaches.
    Sounds like more excuses to me. Same song and dance for who knows how long. Same as the “West Devision is not as hard in football as it in basketball.”

Tired of excuses from basketball team and looking forward to some production on the court.

This extension does not give me confidence. Marlin and everyone should know how HOT his seat is.

Weak sauce!

Default Re: UL plans to extend contracts for five coaches, including Marlin, Deggs, Glasco

I can’t figure out how my poSt was making excuses. I simply pointed out extension does not mean much due to buyout not increasing. As I said in an earlier post, pressure to produce better results is still on and is understood by people in program. I will remind folks that players and coaches don’t think like fans. They have confidence their efforts will result in a higher level of success.

If the Dean of Sunbelt Conference men's basketball coaches gets our team into the NCAA tourney this season, everyone will be overjoyed. The publicity that comes with it is amazing for the University. Now Coach Marlin's track record suggests odds are we'll miss the NCAA's again. Must say will be interesting to see how this recent influx of players fit together. Am keeping an open mind about the upcoming season.

Quote Originally Posted by Balanced_view View Post
    I am just as interested to see how folks would react if Marlin won the regular season and tournament championship this upcoming year, as I would be if they actually win it. Talk about the board being entertaining! make it happen.
    That would be fun to sit back with popcorn and a cold one. JMO

Most people seem to understand that these extensions are due to Covid. I agree with that. The latest comments are about Bob Marlin more than anyone else. I know I haven't stated my position on him in a while, so let me do that now.

When the announcement was made about his hiring and some of his credentials were mentioned, I celebrated like most others. Pretty good background, certain levels of success at each stage of his career, no nonsense type of person. Seemed like a pretty good fit at the time, especially with the circumstances of Robert Lee's departure.

As I do with other coaches once they are hired, I started doing my own checks on him. The first thought I had about him was "Why, at his age, is the Southland Conference the highest job he's ever had?" I looked into his coaching philosophy, what types of players he recruited, on and on. The more I discovered, the more I realized, "He's not the right fit for here." When he was presented at the press conference, he confirmed what I thought. It's not that he sounded unintelligent, nor unfocused or anything else that might make him seem like a bad coach, I just had the feeling that he was not the right fit to coach here.

I spoke with Scott Farmer, the one who found Marlin, and David Walker, the man who hired him, separately and privately, at that press conference, and asked them to watch Marlin closely. I explained my concerns and that I was hoping to be wrong in my assessment. I appeared to be wrong after that first season. As time dragged on, it became apparent I wasn't.

Like most others, I have nothing against Bob Marlin. I do believe he is an excellent coach, knows the game well, trains his players, all types of accolades you can bestow on a coach. He just isn't the right fit to be coaching here. At age 62, this is likely his last coaching job, so we can expect for him to be here another three seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    I can’t figure out how my poSt was making excuses. I simply pointed out extension does not mean much due to buyout not increasing. As I said in an earlier post, pressure to produce better results is still on and is understood by people in program. I will remind folks that players and coaches don’t think like fans. They have confidence their efforts will result in a higher level of success.
    Didn’t mean excuses from you, CM. No reason for you to need to make excuses.

Quote Originally Posted by axg8750 View Post
    Didn’t mean excuses from you, CM. No reason for you to need to make excuses.
    Thanks for the clarification. To elaborate on my response, the folks in the program have HIGH confidence they will improve due to the talent that has been brought in. Of course that is dependent on avoiding the injury bug. I don't have confidence that can be avoided simply because of our recent track record.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information