Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 301

Thread: Baseball Transfer Portal

  1. #61

    Default Re: Baseball Transfer Portal

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunRagin View Post
    People thought he was the right guy at the right time, and are now singing a different tune; sure. But have you ever see a really well respected, well liked guy fall from grace because word gets out about what he’s actually like in private, when the cameras aren’t on? Same thing.

    (This part isn’t directed at you or anyone specifically.) If y’all think there are a lot of names in the transfer portal now, just wait. Some of the big guns, the workhorses, the big names are going to be public soon. The players do not like him. They aren’t soft, or uncoachable, or whatever else people want to say. Deggs isn’t the leader of men; leaders earn respect. He’s a no explanation guy, a do as I say and don’t question me guy, a prison guard on a power trip type guy when everyone locked up is in for only a week for a petty misdemeanor. These players aren’t kids; they are men who shouldn’t be expected to follow blindly like Deggs is god and you aren’t allowed to question anything. Most players want to play their hearts out for their teammates and their coach. But these guys have spent the year with him and half the team is saying, “I’d rather take my chances, leave behind my girlfriend, and start over with a whole new coach, a whole new team, a whole new city and university.” They aren’t transferring bc of hurt feelings, or being soft, or a bad day. They’re transferring because, even though the right words may be said in front of donors and microphones, Deggs doesn’t have any of the attributes of a respectable coach, and it shows by the way that the guys who have spent thousands of hours with him over the last year, are jumping ship as fast as they can.
    Big guns, work horses, and big names? Don't kid yourself we had very little of those. We had no dominate player, alpha males, or big names. Stay patient it wasn't like Deggs walked into a highly successful program. His job isn't for players to like him. In fact most players don't like there coach until after their career is over. Im like T not ready to wave the white flag on Deggs right now. In my mind it is still a little early.

  2. #62

    Default Re: Baseball Transfer Portal

    Quote Originally Posted by JMVCAJUNS View Post
    Big guns, work horses, and big names? Don't kid yourself we had very little of those. We had no dominate player, alpha males, or big names. Stay patient it wasn't like Deggs walked into a highly successful program. His job isn't for players to like him. In fact most playera don't like there coach until after there career is over. Im like T not ready to wave the white flag on Deggs right now. In my kind it is still a little early.
    UL has a successful program historically. So I disagree with your premise that UL isn't a successful program. We just haven't made a regional in a few years. Deggs cut a lot of Robe's players after the 2020 season. Most or close to half of the 2021 roster are Deggs players and although i think he needs more time to develop and shape his team into his vision, this team did not respect him nor his coaching abilities (which includes JT). They did not buy what he was selling. What is the answer? I don't know. Hopefully he figures this out. The players have to believe in their leaders or else they wont play to their fullest potential. Mediocrity cannot be accepted and in my opinion if he has not made a regional after year 3, there needs to be a change.

  3. Default Re: Baseball Transfer Portal

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunRagin View Post
    People thought he was the right guy at the right time, and are now singing a different tune; sure. But have you ever see a really well respected, well liked guy fall from grace because word gets out about what he’s actually like in private, when the cameras aren’t on? Same thing.

    (This part isn’t directed at you or anyone specifically.) If y’all think there are a lot of names in the transfer portal now, just wait. Some of the big guns, the workhorses, the big names are going to be public soon. The players do not like him. They aren’t soft, or uncoachable, or whatever else people want to say. Deggs isn’t the leader of men; leaders earn respect. He’s a no explanation guy, a do as I say and don’t question me guy, a prison guard on a power trip type guy when everyone locked up is in for only a week for a petty misdemeanor. These players aren’t kids; they are men who shouldn’t be expected to follow blindly like Deggs is god and you aren’t allowed to question anything. Most players want to play their hearts out for their teammates and their coach. But these guys have spent the year with him and half the team is saying, “I’d rather take my chances, leave behind my girlfriend, and start over with a whole new coach, a whole new team, a whole new city and university.” They aren’t transferring bc of hurt feelings, or being soft, or a bad day. They’re transferring because, even though the right words may be said in front of donors and microphones, Deggs doesn’t have any of the attributes of a respectable coach, and it shows by the way that the guys who have spent thousands of hours with him over the last year, are jumping ship as fast as they can.
    Weren't you the one complaining about "Inconsistent positions all year"?

    That doesn't sound like a "prison guard"

  4. #64

    Default Re: Baseball Transfer Portal

    I guess either way it will work itself out. If it’s as bad as some of you say I don’t think maggard would let that go on for very long, especially without results. I think the guy deserves time to get it right. We did have a winning season and won our division which isn’t ultimate goal but is improvement.


  5. Default Re: Baseball Transfer Portal

    Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Weren't you the one complaining about "Inconsistent positions all year"?

    That doesn't sound like a "prison guard"
    Haha. Yep. Someone looks at him the wrong way or sneezes during a team meeting and he pulls them, having to rework the whole roster, day after day. How is that any different than what I’m saying now?

  6. Default Re: Baseball Transfer Portal

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunRagin View Post
    Haha. Yep. Someone looks at him the wrong way or sneezes during a team meeting and he pulls them, having to rework the whole roster, day after day. How is that any different than what I’m saying now?
    Looking for solutions is not an "I know best" statement.

  7. #67

    Default Re: Baseball Transfer Portal

    Quote Originally Posted by JMVCAJUNS View Post
    Stay patient it wasn't like Deggs walked into a highly successful program.
    Most people tiptoe around this. A few in fact were starting to rumble discontentment with Robe in his last season. Nobody wants to dump on a legend. Many deferred it on JT under both Robe and Deggs, warranted or not. JT was and is not the head coach.

    Happens with many legends, most recently at Rice. Refineryville, well, they just never collectively warmed to Manari. Feel sorry for their next coach.

    The hard fact is UL baseball hasn't been relevent in 5 years. CCU is falling into the same boat. Both need to step it up on SBC baseball will fade into cyclical one bid hell.

  8. #68

    Default Re: Baseball Transfer Portal

    Man, summer got y’all throwing out conspiracy theories already? It’s not even July.


  9. #69

    Default Re: Baseball Transfer Portal

    Quote Originally Posted by LouisianaB View Post
    Man, summer got y’all throwing out conspiracy theories already? It’s not even July.
    I'm considering a new attitude about the portal.

    Don't let the door hit you in the ars on the way out.

    All the sports combined, we have thousands of people thinking the grass is greener on the other side. Sadly, most are very mistaken. And most are me first people.

  10. #70

    Default Re: Baseball Transfer Portal

    Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    Most people tiptoe around this. A few in fact were starting to rumble discontentment with Robe in his last season. Nobody wants to dump on a legend. Many deferred it on JT under both Robe and Deggs, warranted or not. JT was and is not the head coach.

    Happens with many legends, most recently at Rice. Refineryville, well, they just never collectively warmed to Manari. Feel sorry for their next coach.

    The hard fact is UL baseball hasn't been relevent in 5 years. CCU is falling into the same boat. Both need to step it up on SBC baseball will fade into cyclical one bid hell.
    This^

    The fact is we hadn't been to a regional since 2016 and some on this board were suggesting that Coach Robe probably needed to move on before his untimely death. This program hasn't had much talent in it since 2016 and Deggs deserves the right to make this program in his vision moving forward.

    Coach Robe told me, the process (developing players and improving the program) can get ugly at times. He was right, it's no fun sitting home watching other programs play in regionals and players struggle.

  11. Default Re: Baseball Transfer Portal

    It’s actually a pretty dangerous situation. The community loves this guy and associates him this success (2014). Local past players and die hards will defend him no matter what, because they are personally invested.

    Like others have posted, the view from the inside is COMPLETELY different. Players, parents, assistant coaches, etc. JT has actually been in the mix for the Nicholls job. Jake has shopped his services around the country (which I hope it works out for him. He deserves better than what happened to him over the last year and a half.)

    There will be more names not returning that will raise serious questions for those that pay attention. Also, get ready for massive turnover every year. We are headed toward JUCO heavy & transfer heavy classes. LaTech of the south. Worst case scenario, IMO.

    I told y’all all season long, they mismanaged a VERY talented staff. Ruined a couple kids in the process and made 3-4 others want to gtfo. Great signals to the best HS pitchers in the state that we’ve been getting for years. (But no worries, we don’t recruit LA anymore. Texans baby!!)

    Yea, I was a guy that was stoked about the hire. But after 1.5 years of seeing the same shît, I’m obviously concerned. This ain’t 2014 Deggs. Not even close. Yes, he’s a man with a good moral compass. And I’m grateful for that. But we’re not talking about that here. This is just baseball. Being the HC is a lot different than being #2 in command. And Lafayette ain’t Sam Houston.


  12. #72

    Default Re: Baseball Transfer Portal

    Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    I'm considering a new attitude about the portal.

    Don't let the door hit you in the ars on the way out.

    All the sports combined, we have thousands of people thinking the grass is greener on the other side. Sadly, most are very mistaken. And most are me first people.
    Or instead of the sky is falling mentality...use it to get better. Find the kids that are talented that didn’t get a fair shot at previous school or were caught behind entrenched starters. People discuss the portal as if we aren’t allowed to get players out of it.

  13. Default Re: Baseball Transfer Portal

    Ping! Transfer portal hits baseball predictably hard



  14. #74

    Default Re: Baseball Transfer Portal

    Most schools are losing players to the portal, it is the current climate of college baseball. Some more than others but it will have a bearing on almost everyone at some point, not just us as some would have us believe at times. Give Deggs more than one full season and a partial season to get us back to where we want to be. Cajun T is correct about the talent level since 2016 and it is not at the level we would like it to be, hence our staying at home for the regionals since that time. I continue to support our baseball program and try to be positive and hope Deggs can be the one to move us forward as I miss being in a regional.


  15. #75

    Default Re: Baseball Transfer Portal

    Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    It’s actually a pretty dangerous situation. The community loves this guy and associates him this success (2014). Local past players and die hards will defend him no matter what, because they are personally invested.

    Like others have posted, the view from the inside is COMPLETELY different. Players, parents, assistant coaches, etc. JT has actually been in the mix for the Nicholls job. Jake has shopped his services around the country (which I hope it works out for him. He deserves better than what happened to him over the last year and a half.)

    There will be more names not returning that will raise serious questions for those that pay attention. Also, get ready for massive turnover every year. We are headed toward JUCO heavy & transfer heavy classes. LaTech of the south. Worst case scenario, IMO.

    I told y’all all season long, they mismanaged a VERY talented staff. Ruined a couple kids in the process and made 3-4 others want to gtfo. Great signals to the best HS pitchers in the state that we’ve been getting for years. (But no worries, we don’t recruit LA anymore. Texans baby!!)

    Yea, I was a guy that was stoked about the hire. But after 1.5 years of seeing the same shît, I’m obviously concerned. This ain’t 2014 Deggs. Not even close. Yes, he’s a man with a good moral compass. And I’m grateful for that. But we’re not talking about that here. This is just baseball. Being the HC is a lot different than being #2 in command. And Lafayette ain’t Sam Houston.
    Agreed,, for a team that won a division-- for what that is worth-- the program is a dumpster fire.

    Every other school is NOY going through the same thing-- they have players who didn't play much leaving-- we have the best hitter,, weekend starters etc who can't wait to get the frick out of here. Don't think this is not getting back to incoming recruits--many are wondering what they are getting into.

    I think we are seeing why Deggs is a better #2 man than the head guy..

Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 14 users browsing this thread. (1 members and 13 guests)

  1. Atown cajun

Similar Threads

  1. Sun Belt and the Transfer Portal (Baseball)
    By talktomewillis in forum Just Ragin
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: May 30th, 2020, 09:12 am
  2. Baseball Transfer Portal
    By JamesBond in forum PlayerDock
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: May 21st, 2020, 03:50 pm
  3. Transfer portal
    By MelRock in forum PlayerDock
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: December 2nd, 2019, 06:15 pm
  4. TRANSFER PORTAL
    By JMVCAJUNS in forum Just Ragin
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: May 16th, 2019, 04:31 pm
  5. Transfer Portal 24/7
    By cajun_lannister in forum Just Ragin
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: January 23rd, 2019, 04:24 pm

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •