Thread: Louisiana Basketball Names Derrick Zimmerman Assistant Coach

1. UL Basketball Louisiana Basketball Names Derrick Zimmerman Assistant Coach

Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Men's Basketball coach Bob Marlin announced on Tuesday the addition of in-state native and former Mississippi State letterwinner Derrick Zimmerman as an assistant coach beginning in the 2021-22 season.

Homes SO Clean

Default Re: Louisiana Basketball Names Derrick Zimmerman Assistant Coach

Welcome to Lafayette Coach!

3. Default Re: Louisiana Basketball Names Derrick Zimmerman Assistant Coach

Yeah coach, welcome to Louisiana.

Welcome coach!

But why is this being released today? Is Bobby a little jealous of the football donation or what?

Quote Originally Posted by CAJUNJUDO View Post
    Welcome coach!

But why is this being released today? Is Bobby a little jealous of the football donation or what?
    It’s MUCH more difficult to get donations in the Sunbelt West basketball conference than in the SB West Football conference. Don’t you remember Big Game Bob’s post game excuse last season?

Quote Originally Posted by axg8750 View Post
    It’s MUCH more difficult to get donations in the Sunbelt West basketball conference than in the SB West Football conference. Don’t you remember Big Game Bob’s post game excuse last season?
    Of course I do

Quote Originally Posted by CAJUNJUDO View Post
    Welcome coach!

This hire was made several days ago. They wanted to release it last week but HR bureaucratic delays prevented that from occurring.

8. Default ESPN 1420 UL Basketball Names Derrick Zimmerman Assistant Coach

He played briefly for the New Nets in 2006.

Homes SO Clean

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    This hire was made several days ago. They wanted to release it last week but HR bureaucratic delays prevented that from occurring.
    So why not wait until today?
    24 hours would not have made a difference.
    I just find it humorous.

Did this guy play for Mississippi State when Brad Boyd and the Cajuns beat them in Starkville? Seems around the same time.

I think Zimmerman did play for the Bulldogs in the game Brad led the Cajuns to an upset. I think that game was in November of 2002.

Overall looks like a good hire. I like the fact that he had such a long playing career overseas, and I’m sure that comes with lots of connections. In the world of the transfer portal one thing a school our size can find a niche in is setting up guys for a professional opportunity outside of the NBA. I think there are plenty of talented guys out there on the rosters of major programs who are a little buried on the depth chart. By their sophomore year some of these guys may come to the realization that the NBA dream may not work out, but if they can transfer to a mid major and get lots of playing time and showcase their skills, that can segue itself into a professional career overseas.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatch View Post
    Overall looks like a good hire. I like the fact that he had such a long playing career overseas, and I’m sure that comes with lots of connections. In the world of the transfer portal one thing a school our size can find a niche in is setting up guys for a professional opportunity outside of the NBA. I think there are plenty of talented guys out there on the rosters of major programs who are a little buried on the depth chart. By their sophomore year some of these guys may come to the realization that the NBA dream may not work out, but if they can transfer to a mid major and get lots of playing time and showcase their skills, that can segue itself into a professional career overseas.
    I do think the overseas playing experience from Zimmerman was a factor in his hire. We have sent a few guys from our program to successful overseas opportunities. Shawn Long just finished a very successful season in Korea. Surprisingly, Kasey Shepherd is having a very successful European career. Zimmerman can help us even more so in that regard due to connections he undoubtedly has made over a multi year overseas playing career.

13. Default Re: Louisiana Basketball Names Derrick Zimmerman Assistant Coach

Zimmerman

Didnt he invent the basketball Stand your Ground philosophy so you wouldn't have to take a charge?

Thread Information