Thread: UL and Napier in the CFB playoff landscape

Default UL and Napier in the CFB playoff landscape

I love hearing UL continually being talked about on a national scale!! GEAUX CAJUNS!!!

https://youtu.be/mQkRF-_gcLA

Default Re: UL and Napier in the CFB playoff landscape

I NEVER get tired of hearing it!!

3. Default Re: UL and Napier in the CFB playoff landscape

Good takes. I think some of it is over sensationalized, but I do agree that TV & playoff money will put the southern non-traditional powers ahead of the west coast schools within 10 years.

Interesting days ahead..

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Good takes. I think some of it is over sensationalized, but I do agree that TV & playoff money will put the southern non-traditional powers ahead of the west coast schools within 10 years.

Interesting days ahead..
    Absolutely. Far cry from the of Huds era.

5. Default Re: UL and Napier in the CFB playoff landscape

Quote Originally Posted by angeleast View Post
    Absolutely. Far cry from the of Huds era.
    HUD had the swinging strength coach. So yes.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post

Interesting days ahead..
    It will be a Death knell for the bottom feeders of the P5 like Illinois , Oregon state , Texas tech & Wake forest. Coaches at the upper G5 will not leave for those gigs now with a chance of the playoffs being much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Malkinson View Post
    It will be a Death knell for the bottom feeders of the P5 like Illinois , Oregon state , Texas tech & Wake forest. Coaches at the upper G5 will not leave for those gigs now with a chance of the playoffs being much easier.

I don't know about death knell for those lower end P5 programs, but it will allow the UL's of the world to catch them up faster; and they have been catching up. The thing is, for every one team a conference like the Sun Belt gets in to this new playoff system the Big 10, Big 12, ACC or SEC will have 2 or 3. This will mean more money for the G5 conferences, certainly. But how often will a Sun Belt school make the playoffs? How often will a MAC team make the playoffs? What, maybe every other year? The powerful football conferences will be there with multiple representation year in and year out. The G5 schools will make more money, but so will the P5 guys. The lion's share of playoff money will still go to the big fish. So if Illinois or Oregon St. wanted to lure a G5 coaching star they would still be able to offer far more money than that coach can make at the G5 level.

But now talented G5 coaches have an actual path to a national title and that may keep some at G5 schools where there is less pressure to win now, fewer big donors and the politics that goes with that, and a more forgiving fan base/AD and administration. But this is a much, much better system.

What I think will help as much as the money is the exposure and recruiting. The exposure part is self evident. But the UL's of the world now have something they have never had in the past. They have never been able to walk into a recruit's home and say, "we want you to come help us compete for a national title. Big school X will redshirt you and want you to play out of position. But come to UL and you can compete next fall for a starting spot in the position you love and help us compete for a conference championship and a national championship. " In the hands of a skilled recruiting pied piper that can be a mid-major advantage for certain types of "four star" kids who may be undecided. The five star, blue chippers will still go to Bama, Clemson, et cetera, but I can see more of the strong three and four star kids getting pealed off by the mid majors now.

To see the fruits of this process it will take four or five years after this new system goes into effect (so probably 7 to 8 years), but this new playoff system is much more equitable. It's not perfect, but it is quite an improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunmac View Post
    I don't know about death knell for those lower end P5 programs, but it will allow the UL's of the world to catch them up faster; and they have been catching up. The thing is, for every one team a conference like the Sun Belt gets in to this new playoff system the Big 10, Big 12, ACC or SEC will have 2 or 3. This will mean more money for the G5 conferences, certainly. But how often will a Sun Belt school make the playoffs? How often will a MAC team make the playoffs? What, maybe every other year? The powerful football conferences will be there with multiple representation year in and year out. The G5 schools will make more money, but so will the P5 guys. The lion's share of playoff money will still go to the big fish. So if Illinois or Oregon St. wanted to lure a G5 coaching star they would still be able to offer far more money than that coach can make at the G5 level.

But now talented G5 coaches have an actual path to a national title and that may keep some at G5 schools where there is less pressure to win now, fewer big donors and the politics that goes with that, and a more forgiving fan base/AD and administration. But this is a much, much better system.

What I think will help as much as the money is the exposure and recruiting. The exposure part is self evident. But the UL's of the world now have something they have never had in the past. They have never been able to walk into a recruit's home and say, "we want you to come help us compete for a national title. Big school X will redshirt you and want you to play out of position. But come to UL and you can compete next fall for a starting spot in the position you love and help us compete for a conference championship and a national championship. " In the hands of a skilled recruiting pied piper that can be a mid-major advantage for certain types of "four star" kids who may be undecided. The five star, blue chippers will still go to Bama, Clemson, et cetera, but I can see more of the strong three and four star kids getting pealed off by the mid majors now.

To see the fruits of this process it will take four or five years after this new system goes into effect (so probably 7 to 8 years), but this new playoff system is much more equitable. It's not perfect, but it is quite an improvement.
    agreed.

Thread Information