Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Super Regionals

Default Re: Super Regionals

Quote Originally Posted by GoneGolfin View Post
    I cannot help but think a couple of moves by Dave Van Horn (Arkansas) and Link Jarrett (Notre Dame) were not the best decisions this weekend. Both coaches threw key relievers in Game #2 action to close their respective games ... bringing them back the very next day for critical duty.

In the case of Kopps, he threw 2 innings (21 pitches) to close Game #2 vs. NC State Saturday ... and then took his first loss of the season in Game #3 yesterday, going 8 innings (118 pitches). Now, he still pitched a solid game (only three earned runs). But it was not nearly Kopps like. He has been utterly dominating teams. You could tell early on his command was off a bit and the result was his worst appearance of the season (he only yielded 6 ER all season in over 80 innings entering yesterday). It would have been quite interesting to see how Kopps would have fared had he not thrown the prior day.

As for Link Jarrett, Rao did not start tonight's game ... but everyone knew that the starter, Mercer, would be on a very short leash. Rao and Kolhepp are Notre Dame's best bullpen arms and Kohlhepp threw 78 high stress pitches on Saturday. So knowing you would need Rao on Monday, why do you have him close yesterday's game (1 2/3 IP, 21 pitches) ... entering the game in the 8th with a 9-1 lead? Well ... Rao was shelled tonight relieving Mercer with no outs in the 2nd inning. Rao did not make it out of the 2nd inning.

Brian
    Kopps went one inning too many. You could see the inning before he lost a little zip and a few meatballs floated thru the zone with zero movement. NC State just remained patient and it paid off. The announcers never said it but alluded to his gusty performance foreshadowing the ending.

After watching alot of these Super Regional games… our program is not close to making it to Omaha. It will take a few more years bf we can compete at this level again. an accomplishment would be to make it to a regional in the next 2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    When you have to win two, playing today like there is no tomorrow usually does not work.
    Robe would have agreed with this

Quote Originally Posted by lifetimecajun View Post
    After watching alot of these Super Regional games… our program is not close to making it to Omaha. It will take a few more years bf we can compete at this level again. an accomplishment would be to make it to a regional in the next 2 years.
    This was my take away from watching regionals and supers the last two weeks. Sad but true.

I saw differently. Thought we had plenty of talent but not enough team chemistry. Too many different lineups. Some head scratching decisions by coaches and players.

Quote Originally Posted by SlickRick View Post
    I saw differently. Thought we had plenty of talent but not enough team chemistry. Too many different lineups. Some head scratching decisions by coaches and players.
    Some would say and have said, including our coaches, we had so many line ups because we had hitters that could not field and fielders that can't hit. We had talented players, but too many only in one area.

I looked at every 2021 CWS team fielding %. Our 0.965 fielding percentage is lower than every 2021 Omaha team. The lowest is Arizona at 0.967, the only one below 0.972. the rest are from 0.972 to 0.983 (NC State).

That is just one stat and the first one I looked at. We are not talented enough. We are what our record says we are. I thought we had half a chance as a regional team, but I was wrong.

We had two projected weekend starters combine for a 2-4 record over 47.2 innings and a 5.53 ERA. One was projected conference Pitcher of the Year and threw 8.1 innings before quitting. When was the last time a Cajun player quit during the season? I can't think of one.

7. Default Re: Super Regionals

Quote Originally Posted by Dad04 View Post
    Some would say and have said, including our coaches, we had so many line ups because we had hitters that could not field and fielders that can't hit. We had talented players, but too many only in one area.

I looked at every 2021 CWS team fielding %. Our 0.965 fielding percentage is lower than every 2021 Omaha team. The lowest is Arizona at 0.967, the only one below 0.972. the rest are from 0.972 to 0.983 (NC State).

That is just one stat and the first one I looked at. We are not talented enough. We are what our record says we are. I thought we had half a chance as a regional team, but I was wrong.

We had two projected weekend starters combine for a 2-4 record over 47.2 innings and a 5.53 ERA. One was projected conference Pitcher of the Year and threw 8.1 innings before quitting. When was the last time a Cajun player quit during the season? I can't think of one.
    Thad Griffin?

I disagree that we weren’t talented enough. Especially with a team ERA of 3.37 (7th nationally)

This team was managed into the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Thad Griffin?

I disagree that we weren’t talented enough. Especially with a team ERA of 3.37 (7th nationally)

Lol my old ex-cousin inlaw

I told everyone for a fact he quit, some still believe he was cut, lmao.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Thad Griffin?

There is plenty of blame to spread around, but the record is a notable improvement from the last full season in 2019.

11. Default Re: Super Regionals

There is plenty of blame to spread around, but the record is a notable improvement from the last full season in 2019.
    No doubt about that.

Quote Originally Posted by JMVCAJUNS View Post
    I told everyone for a fact he quit, some still believe he was cut, lmao.
    Straight up Facts bro.

Right, and the talent was better too than 2019. That was my main point.

Need to build a regional team first, preferably one that the majority will still be together the next year. Hard to make a run with rebuilding the roster every year

Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    Need to build a regional team first, preferably one that the majority will still be together the next year. Hard to make a run with rebuilding the roster every year
    Softball does it.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information