Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 12-team model leads the College Football Playoff change

Default Re: 12-team model leads the College Football Playoff change

I completely agree with Liberty and BYU needing to join conferences to remain relevant, especially Liberty. And I know ND wants to hold on the their independent status, but it seems that they would be in a better place if they were in a conference.

If they were in a conference then they could get into the playoffs if they win the conference or, for example, if they finished as conference runners up with a strong record as an at large (as a conference runner up they would also get an extra game against a strong opponent). ND in a conference gives them two avenues into the playoffs; ND as an independent has one avenue into the playoffs.

2. Default Re: 12-team model leads the College Football Playoff change

I think the penalty of not being eligible for a bye will prove to be a pretty damning disadvantage for those schools.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    I think the penalty of not being eligible for a bye will prove to be a pretty damning disadvantage for those schools.
    Some of the sports writers were saying ND would treat that 1st round as a conference championship of sorts. They won't risk losing that NBC contract by joining a conference

4. Default Re: 12-team model leads the College Football Playoff change

Independents should have their own path to the playoffs.

Finish higher than ND and you are in

5. Default Re: 12-team model leads the College Football Playoff change

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Independents should have their own path to the playoffs.

Finish higher than ND and you are in
    Disagree 1000%

Quote Originally Posted by RaginDave View Post
    Disagree 1000%
    ^
    THIS!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Malkinson View Post
    They can only get in as an At large. Same with liberty and BYU
    I’d put my money on Liberty getting in the AAC soon. They’re winning at almost everything relevant and they have a boatload of private school money. Money covers almost every imperfection in college athletics. And they’re a better fit location wise than BYU.

8. Default Re: 12-team model leads the College Football Playoff change

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    ^
    THIS!
    Here is my thought, if and only if you go with a 12 team model, the only way an Independent gets in is if they are one of the at large bids. If NMSU, Liberty, BYU, ND, Army, UCONN and UMass are their to play in the playoffs then and want to be an independent let them try. The only team that will be there is ND. Liberty will join a conference, whether it is the SBC, AAC, CUSA or MAC they will figure it out. BYU will attempt to do it as an independent, ND will as well or join the ACC and UCONN and UMASS will drop down, Army will probably join the AAC or stay an independent, but they only qualify if they are one of the at large teams, that goes for all of the independents whether it is a 4, 8, 12 or 16 team playoff.

I would love for someone to allow Turbine and I to debate this on either radio or a podcast anytime. I have spent years on this and think the reality is if you are an independent you should be behind all P5 conference champions/automatic bids and any single or even multiple G5 teams.

I am so damn sick of hearing about how we would be better off as an independent. Their is no universe where this is any option. Their is never a time where the Independent route is better than the SBC and I am not thrilled being in the SBC.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginDave View Post
    Here is my thought, if and only if you go with a 12 team model, the only way an Independent gets in is if they are one of the at large bids. If NMSU, Liberty, BYU, ND, Army, UCONN and UMass are their to play in the playoffs then and want to be an independent let them try. The only team that will be there is ND. Liberty will join a conference, whether it is the SBC, AAC, CUSA or MAC they will figure it out. BYU will attempt to do it as an independent, ND will as well or join the ACC and UCONN and UMASS will drop down, Army will probably join the AAC or stay an independent, but they only qualify if they are one of the at large teams, that goes for all of the independents whether it is a 4, 8, 12 or 16 team playoff.

I would love for someone to allow Turbine and I to debate this on either radio or a podcast anytime. I have spent years on this and think the reality is if you are an independent you should be behind all P5 conference champions/automatic bids and any single or even multiple G5 teams.

I am so damn sick of hearing about how we would be better off as an independent. Their is no universe where this is any option. Their is never a time where the Independent route is better than the SBC and I am not thrilled being in the SBC.
    Here's how many teams each conference would've put in the #CFBPlayoff since 2014 if we were operating under the recommended format for expansion reported earlier.

Big Ten: 20
    SEC: 19
    ACC: 12
    Big 12: 12
    Pac-12: 11
    AAC: 5
    Independent: 2*
    M-West: 1
    MAC: 1
    Sun Belt: 1

Its positive going to 12. We've got a shot as do all G5 schools, whereas now we don't. It raises some questions about what else could change as a result of expanding CFP to 12 teams? Maybe less student athlete Opt Outs? Maybe less bowl games and conference bowl tie in changes? Strength of football in G5 conferences seems to take on more weight than before.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckster View Post
    Its positive going to 12. We've got a shot as do all G5 schools, whereas now we don't. It raises some questions about what else could change as a result of expanding CFP to 12 teams? Maybe less student athlete Opt Outs? Maybe less bowl games and conference bowl tie in changes? Strength of football in G5 conferences seems to take on more weight than before.
    The G5 as a whole has gotten way better over the past 5 years.... the top tier G5 schools are better than half the P5 schools if not more....the PAC12 is terrible and not really relevant any more... the Big 12 besides Oklahoma, ok State, Iowa state, and Texas is a conference that has dropped off since losing Nebraska, Colorado, Missouri, and A&M. The only really relevant Acc team is Clemson and then maybe Miami. Thought last year really helped the G5 expose most of the P5 as what they are, a bunch of average teams with one maybe 2 really good teams in each conference. The only conference that is crazy good top to bottom is the SEC...I think this year we will see many more upset wins by G5 over P5.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    Here's how many teams each conference would've put in the #CFBPlayoff since 2014 if we were operating under the recommended format for expansion reported earlier.

Big Ten: 20
    SEC: 19
    ACC: 12
    Big 12: 12
    Pac-12: 11
    AAC: 5
    Independent: 2*
    M-West: 1
    MAC: 1
    Sun Belt: 1
    Noticeable omission: CUSA is the ONLY conference that would not have had a single team in the playoffs.

So the 12 team expansion proposal has the green light from the committee and now moves to the Board of managers next Tuesday. Looking closer at the proposal it says the top 4 conference champs get a bye. This is fascinating.

Theoretically, a G5 school could get a bye, whether it be us or Cincinnati. Any high rank G5 could receive a bye if things line up right.

For example:

1. Alabama
    2. Clemson
    3. Ohio State
    4. Georgia
    5. Florida
    6. Notre Dame
    7. Wisconsin
    8. Texas A&M
    9. Miami
    10. Louisiana
    11. Texas
    12. Cincinnati
    13. Stanford
    14. Oklahoma
    15. BYU

Now the expansion won't be implemented this year but hypothetical in this scenario Alabama, Clemson and Ohio State would all receive byes as the usual would make the playoff. Louisiana would be in the 4th spot having beaten Texas and Texas and Louisiana both running the table. Also the SBC having another good year against the big 12 and the Pac 12 down again means they get left out altogether

5 seed Georgia vs 12 seed Cincinnati*
    6 seed Florida vs 11 seed Texas*
    7 seed Notre Dame vs 10 seed Miami
    8 seed Wisconsin vs 9 Texas A&M

Just something cool to think about

* not sure if Texas and Cincinnati would get a higher seed being Conference champs

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunmac View Post
    I completely agree with Liberty and BYU needing to join conferences to remain relevant, especially Liberty. And I know ND wants to hold on the their independent status, but it seems that they would be in a better place if they were in a conference.

If they were in a conference then they could get into the playoffs if they win the conference or, for example, if they finished as conference runners up with a strong record as an at large (as a conference runner up they would also get an extra game against a strong opponent). ND in a conference gives them two avenues into the playoffs; ND as an independent has one avenue into the playoffs.
    Get rid of UTA and UALR and invite Liberty and BYU.

I don't want to black ball Liberty and BYU as both teams are pretty good and were ranked last year. One took Coastal Carolina to the limit, the other beat em. While I think they'd need to be conferenced, forcing them to at the point of locking them out - not a fan. As for Notre Dame, they play independent so that they have total control to schedule most P-5 power house match-ups.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information