Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6

Thread: South Alabama

Default Re: South Alabama

That OF had been lights out all game till then. Crazy on what seemed like a routine play.

Feel bad for the guy.

That was the straw.

3. Default Re: South Alabama

I was watching and secretly pulling for South AL to win, but they didn't and I am fine with that.
    I am kinda older than most on this board and I can remember they are nothing but a bunch of turds from way back when.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunrunner View Post
    That OF had been lights out all game till then. Crazy on what seemed like a routine play.

Feel bad for the guy.
    He had an incredible series. I’m sure that play will haunt him for a while

Quote Originally Posted by Dad04 View Post
    That was the straw.
    Can't leave the bases juiced with one out

Yeah...South had that game where they wanted it and failed to capitalize.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Malkinson View Post
    Can't leave the bases juiced with one out
    We proved that all season. So FL got hot when they needed to. Finished 9-2 for the last 11 games. Still only 3 games over .500. They have their hands full in Austin.

8. Default Re: South Alabama

Quote Originally Posted by Dad04 View Post
    We proved that all season. So FL got hot when they needed to. Finished 9-2 for the last 11 games. Still only 3 games over .500. They have their hands full in Austin.
    ....I have always worried bout South Al....academics top us I think.... great city for the baseball guys.....stadium and now football stadium on campus....kinda Lafayetteish with azalea trail.....beautiful campus....just my thoughts!

Quote Originally Posted by GoneGolfin View Post
    Interestingly enough, though in separate conferences at the time, Georgia Southern inflicted heartbreak on South Alabama in the 1990 Wichita regional when they defeated South Alabama in the winner take all game ... 6-5 ... sending Georgia Southern to the 1990 CWS. #5 seed Georgia Southern took 2/3 from #3 seed South Alabama in that regional. It was the next year when the Cajuns squared off against Jon Lieber and the #3 seed Jaguars in the 1991 Baton Rouge regional.

Brian
    It would have made them the 3rd SBC school to make a Super. FIU did it, I think, in 2001 or 2002. Lost to USC in the Supers if I'm not mistaken.

10. Default Re: South Alabama

Quote Originally Posted by JayWalker View Post
    It would have made them the 3rd SBC school to make a Super. FIU did it, I think, in 2001 or 2002. Lost to USC in the Supers if I'm not mistaken.
    Indeed, FIU did it when they were a member of the Sun Belt in 2001 ... winning the South Bend regional. As such,

- Three current members of the Sun Belt have won regionals (Georgia Southern, Louisiana, and Coastal Carolina) ... one of them while a member of the Sun Belt (Louisiana)

- Eight schools that were at one time a member of the Sun Belt have won regionals (New Orleans, Georgia Southern, Louisiana, Florida Atlantic, Florida International, VCU, Coastal Carolina, and now South Florida) ... two of them while members of the Sun Belt (Louisiana and Florida International). You can make that nine schools if you consider District winners, prior to 1975 (Regional play commenced in 1975). Pan American won District 6 over Texas in 1971 to qualify for the College World Series.

- Despite all of its regular season success, South Alabama is still seeking its first regional championship. The Jaguars have made it to a District/Regional final ten times in its history (1 District Final, 9 Regional Finals). Nine of those ten times they needed only one more win to advance from the Regional. On three of those ten occasions, they needed only a single win and had two games to obtain that single win.

Brian

- Despite all of its regular season success, South Alabama is still seeking its first regional championship. The Jaguars have made it to a District/Regional final ten times in its history (1 District Final, 9 Regional Finals). Nine of those ten times they needed only one more win to advance from the Regional. One three of those ten occasions, they needed only a single win and had two games to obtain that single win.

Brian
    This is just brutal for them. I remembered that they had never been past regionals during this postseason, but the 9/10 times needing one win is absolutely ridiculous

Indeed, FIU did it when they were a member of the Sun Belt in 2001 ... winning the South Bend regional. As such,

- Three current members of the Sun Belt have won regionals (Georgia Southern, Louisiana, and Coastal Carolina) ... one of them while a member of the Sun Belt (Louisiana)

- Eight schools that were at one time a member of the Sun Belt have won regionals (New Orleans, Georgia Southern, Louisiana, Florida Atlantic, Florida International, VCU, Coastal Carolina, and now South Florida) ... two of them while members of the Sun Belt (Louisiana and Florida International). You can make that nine schools if you consider District winners, prior to 1975 (Regional play commenced in 1975). Pan American won District 6 over Texas in 1971 to qualify for the College World Series.

- Despite all of its regular season success, South Alabama is still seeking its first regional championship. The Jaguars have made it to a District/Regional final ten times in its history (1 District Final, 9 Regional Finals). Nine of those ten times they needed only one more win to advance from the Regional. On three of those ten occasions, they needed only a single win and had two games to obtain that single win.

Brian
    Thank you for the history lesson. I love reading these types of statistics/ trivia.

Though I was kinda pulling for them, the choke job at the end couldn’t have happened to a better baseball program.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6

Thread Information