Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast

Thread: BB Semifinal Final: Louisiana 2, Georgia Southern 3

Default Re: BB Semifinal Final: Louisiana 2, Georgia Southern 3

Quote Originally Posted by Rainman66 View Post
    Totally disagree with this. When the ball was hit, I could tell it was going to be a somewhat close play at 1B, especially with a LHP covering and falling off to 3B. If Lada doesn't stop running and Rocca beats it out on a clean play, Lada is out by 20-30 feet.

I still believe Lada should have run on the miscue, but running home blindly because it was two outs from 2nd base is not a smart play.
    I agree, Lada had to be held. If you have played or coached/played then you know this. Deggs made the correct call to hold him.

2. Default Re: BB Semifinal Final: Louisiana 2, Georgia Southern 3

Quote Originally Posted by JMVCAJUNS View Post
    I agree, Lada had to be held. If you have played or coached/played then you know this. Deggs made the correct call to hold him.
    WRONG AGAIN. Making a habit out of that.

It is not this straight forward. Like Deggs said, it was a gamble that he didn’t roll the dice on and the house won. No need to pull the “if you never coached/played card” as you like to do so often.

You don’t have to be a little league t-ball coach or Matt Deggs to know that this was a difficult coaching decision that could have went either way.

Quote Originally Posted by axg8750 View Post
    It is not this straight forward. Like Deggs said, it was a gamble that he didn’t roll the dice on and the house won. No need to pull the “if you never coached/played card” as you like to do so often.

You don’t have to be little league t-ball coach or Matt Deggs to know that this was a difficult coaching decision that could have went either way.
    Wasn't playing any kind of card. Was just stating that someone with experience knows that the risk was greater than the reward. Thats all. I personally would have held him.

5. Default Re: BB Semifinal Final: Louisiana 2, Georgia Southern 3

You don’t have to be a little league t-ball coach or Matt Deggs to know that this was a difficult coaching decision that could have went either way.
    You also notice he plays the “coach” card all the time like he is really something special and for all we know he has been nothing more than a daddy ball coach in the kids summer leagues.

6. Default Re: BB Semifinal Final: Louisiana 2, Georgia Southern 3

If stealing home had been analyzed this much in 2000, UL would have never made it to the College World Series.

Sometime you just have to be able to think quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    Even if the pitcher successfully fields the ball covering first, if the runner beats it out, he then needs to realize he is not out of the inning, reverse course from running away from home, then also notice that the runner is attempting to score from second base at home and toss a dart from over 90 feet away to make a successful tag. That is a lot of things even a pitcher that fields the throw at first has to do to be successful. And in this instance, he did not field the ball and had to also chase it down before all of that happens. While this is a play that a pitcher should be familiar with, it is far from routine or the type of play that pitchers routinely practice in PFP.
    I agree with everything you said except the dart portion. A mediocre throw gets the runner easily, IMO.

I agree with everything you said except the dart portion. A mediocre throw gets the runner easily, IMO.
    A mediocre throw from a college pitcher.... 90+ feet......lefthanded....from his knees.....over his 6 foot 3 inch 1st baseman standing 1 foot in front of him....around Bab gets the runner easily?

You know why he never threw the ball? There was no way to make the play.

I stated earlier, I thought Lada should’ve been sent after the error. What I am vehemently disagreeing with is the notion that a runner is blindly running home on a ground ball in the infield from second base with two outs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dad04 View Post
    A mediocre throw from 90+ feet......lefthanded....from his knees.....over his 6 foot 3 inch 1st baseman....around Bab gets the runner easily?
    That is not the scenario Vic was responding to or that I was, for that matter.

11. Default Re: BB Semifinal Final: Louisiana 2, Georgia Southern 3

That is not the scenario Vic was responding to or that I was, for that matter.
    Robe used to run a play where he called a bunt with a man on second and if the play went to first, the runner from second continued through and scored. I think it worked virtually every time he tried it. With our production at the plate in this game, I’m pretty sure I would have sent Lada no matter what. If I’m coaching third and see the fiasco that happened I would 100% be sending Lada to tie that game.

Robe used to run a play where he called a bunt with a man on second and if the play went to first, the runner from second continued through and scored. I think it worked virtually every time he tried it. With our production at the plate in this game, I’m pretty sure I would have sent Lada no matter what. If I’m coaching third and see the fiasco that happened I would 100% be sending Lada to tie that game.
    Remember that play well. One of my favorite memories watching Cajun baseball with my Dad was being at the Friday night game vs. Alabama in 2014 when this play was used in bottom of 8th inning to score 2 x runs and eventually win the game 1-2.

13. Default Re: BB Semifinal Final: Louisiana 2, Georgia Southern 3

Remember that play well. One of my favorite memories watching Cajun baseball with my Dad was being at the Friday night game vs. Alabama in 2014 when this play was used in bottom of 8th inning to score 2 x runs and eventually win the game 1-2.
    I was fortunate enough to be at that game also.

I was fortunate enough to be at that game also.
    What a great game in Cajun Baseball history! Robe recognized that his lineup could not hit Alabama’s Friday night arm so he improvised and it paid off.

I could be wrong but I believe that game we actually shut Alabama out. Compton laid down the bunt and Conrad and Wilson scored. Alabama didn't know what hit them. I believe Turnbull was there friday night arm and we may have got 3 or so hits that whole game. We won 58 games that year. That 2014 squad was better than the 2000 cws squad. That season and the 2015 season still stings. Good times for sure. Hopefully we will get back to those times.

Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast

Thread Information