Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Basketball Transfers

Default Re: Basketball Transfers

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    And if this kid commits, he'll be pushed out the door in a year's time as well in our ever revolving door to our program. I mean its come to that at this point. Replacing a high school guy we probably shouldn't have signed in the first place with a JUCO guard who's only offers are from Houston Baptist and Eastern Illinois?
    Would you rather be South AL with 9 transfers going out and 8 coming in as of now? That is a revolving door. As stated by our coaching staff the times have changed to where you are required to build a yearly team instead a program, sad but true.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    And if this kid commits, he'll be pushed out the door in a year's time as well in our ever revolving door to our program. I mean its come to that at this point. Replacing a high school guy we probably shouldn't have signed in the first place with a JUCO guard who's only offers are from Houston Baptist and Eastern Illinois?
    Marlin has to search for a PG because the 2 he has in Au and Thomas aren't even close to being able to run a team at the level we need them to. Carter may be able to give them some minutes. But he either is going to have to ride Russell as his lead guard which probably isn't ideal, or go find a transfer. Robinson doesnt seem to much of an upgrade on whats on the roster right now, especially if he is looking for a win now point guard.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatch View Post
    Would you rather be South AL with 9 transfers going out and 8 coming in as of now? That is a revolving door. As stated by our coaching staff the times have changed to where you are required to build a yearly team instead a program, sad but true.
    Well South Alabama hired Richie Riley to do exactly this, they wanted to go that direction with their program. That's what he did at Nicholls. Plan ain't going as well for Richie as he wanted, he was trying to do what Beard did at Little Rock and move on quick.

The hard side of transfers…can their egos get checked at the door?

That’s one good thing about the 3 coming in this year, they are all coming “home” in a sense. Williams and Dalcourt literally as they are from Lafayette. Brown is coming to his Father’s Alma Mater, and a program he is very familiar with although he is a California kid. I think that will help with them buying in.

Jacobi Gordon has entered the portal, so that could be the open scholarship now. But does that mean we need another Forward instead of a Guard?

Jacobi Gordon has entered the portal, so that could be the open scholarship now. But does that mean we need another Forward instead of a Guard?
    I could see some skills there, but I don't think he was ever in shape enough to play a bigger role than a few minutes at a time.

My thoughts exactly, think this means either Wesley’s playing days are over or they are ready to move on from Thomas. Of course Harper or someone else could choose to leave on their own. Either Russell or Williams will probably start at the point and there is no need to have 4 point guards on the bench (Wesley, Thomas, Domingue, possibly Robinson), especially when Au has shown he can run the point as well.

From what I gathered looking at his Twitter it appears Hutchinson is going through a coaching change and maybe that is why Robinson has decided to throw his name into D-1 recruiting somewhat late after just one JUCO season. It appears that his academics are good so that is probably not why he went the JUCO route to begin with.
    AU in a reserve role as PG in limited minutes is fine. Otherwise he is a defensive liability against smaller and quicker PGs in the SBC. He can't create his own shot offensively and he is much better as a stand and shoot guard. He's not what is needed in a full time role at either the 1 or 2. JMO

9. Default Re: Basketball Transfers

Quote Originally Posted by CajunAmos View Post
    I could see some skills there, but I don't think he was ever in shape enough to play a bigger role than a few minutes at a time.
    Jacobi had a handful of issues, including not being in basketball shape and still recovering, but his biggest issue was the fact that he does not seem to be a guy who can create his own shot. He had to have a wide open shot to be a threat. When he was set and could get an open shot he was dangerous, but he was a liability on defense and really did not open the floor for other players because of his lack of movement.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginDave View Post
    Jacobi had a handful of issues, including not being in basketball shape and still recovering, but his biggest issue was the fact that he does not seem to be a guy who can create his own shot. He had to have a wide open shot to be a threat. When he was set and could get an open shot he was dangerous, but he was a liability on defense and really did not open the floor for other players because of his lack of movement.
    He was a top 50 recruit as a Junior in High School before the Achilles injury. The injuries really derailed his career. You could see the skill there but he always just looked like he was playing at about 60% of his ability.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    AU in a reserve role as PG in limited minutes is fine. Otherwise he is a defensive liability against smaller and quicker PGs in the SBC. He can't create his own shot offensively and he is much better as a stand and shoot guard. He's not what is needed in a full time role at either the 1 or 2. JMO
    Au was never brought in to play the point. I think the plan last year was Russell/Wilson at the point with Wesley as the back up when either of them was out. The Julien and Cadwell injuries forced Wilson to the 3 spot and then Wesley's injury forced Au to PG. He actually wasn't bad at PG and is good to know he can play there if needed but he isn't the permanent answer there. He was playing injured most of last season as well and I'm sure that slowed him down. Some of the video I have seen of him at the JUCO level he was actually quite good at attacking the basket and creating a shot, remember he was a JUCO All-American. I'm not sure if those skills just didn't transfer to the D-1 level or if it was the knee issue, maybe a little of both.

Au was never brought in to play the point. I think the plan last year was Russell/Wilson at the point with Wesley as the back up when either of them was out. The Julien and Cadwell injuries forced Wilson to the 3 spot and then Wesley's injury forced Au to PG. He actually wasn't bad at PG and is good to know he can play there if needed but he isn't the permanent answer there. He was playing injured most of last season as well and I'm sure that slowed him down. Some of the video I have seen of him at the JUCO level he was actually quite good at attacking the basket and creating a shot, remember he was a JUCO All-American. I'm not sure if those skills just didn't transfer to the D-1 level or if it was the knee issue, maybe a little of both.
    And supposedly he could shoot at the JUCO level, but his form looks awful and why I think he was not consistent at all shooting the ball.

I concede I didn't watch as much Cajun MBB as you last year, but you and I clearly are talking about different players. I did watch some of AU's JC highlights when he committed and I was somewhat excited about his shooting range, but also understanding it was on a lower level of competition. I realized his was asked to play PG after the injuries and the youth at the position, but he never in my showed that he was cable of defending because of his slow feet and he lacked the athletic ability of a Wilson, Harper and Russell on the perimeter.

I hope he is healthy this season and performs much better, but I lean heavy to them signing a pure point guard that can contribute right away. Thanks, I always enjoy your post on MBB.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    I concede I didn't watch as much Cajun MBB as you last year, but you and I clearly are talking about different players. I did watch some of AU's JC highlights when he committed and I was somewhat excited about his shooting range, but also understanding it was on a lower level of competition. I realized his was asked to play PG after the injuries and the youth at the position, but he never in my showed that he was cable of defending because of his slow feet and he lacked the athletic ability of a Wilson, Harper and Russell on the perimeter.

I hope he is healthy this season and performs much better, but I lean heavy to them signing a pure point guard that can contribute right away. Thanks, I always enjoy your post on MBB.
    I don’t think we were watching a different player, he was a liability on defense. What you are calling slow feet I was just attributing possibly to the knee issue. When I said he was decent at the PG spot I am mainly talking about distributing the ball on offense. His assist to turnover ratio was on par with most PGs we have e had over the past few years, actually better than Jay Wrights the years he was running the point although he clearly wasn’t able to score like him. He made some great passes that led to open dunks for Akwuba.

I would love to have a true PG out there running the offense as well but the way it looks right now unless they can get someone good enough to bump Russell or Williams out of the starting backcourt it probably won’t happen and we will see the combo guard duo approach again.

I don’t think we were watching a different player, he was a liability on defense. What you are calling slow feet I was just attributing possibly to the knee issue. When I said he was decent at the PG spot I am mainly talking about distributing the ball on offense. His assist to turnover ratio was on par with most PGs we have e had over the past few years, actually better than Jay Wrights the years he was running the point although he clearly wasn’t able to score like him. He made some great passes that led to open dunks for Akwuba.

I would love to have a true PG out there running the offense as well but the way it looks right now unless they can get someone good enough to bump Russell or Williams out of the starting backcourt it probably won’t happen and we will see the combo guard duo approach again.
    We cannot have him running point when he is no threat to get in the paint and dish the ball. Jay was elite at doing it like Elfrid did.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information