Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Basketball Transfers

Default Re: Basketball Transfers

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    We also have Kobe Julien, another legacy player. Hopefully his injury woes are behind him. At the basketball awards ceremony back in late April, he told someone that his knee has never felt better. Easy to forget about him as he has played in only 12 games in his three years here. Not legacy players, but both Greg Williams and Jalen Dalcourt are transferring here as they wanted to come home.

Corey graduated two years ago from Houston.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainman66 View Post
    Also interesting that Brock Morris tweeted that we weren't done yet.

Expect a true point guard next.

Quote Originally Posted by cajuns80 View Post
    They played together at Lafayette HS did they not?

Not trying to be ugly, but Marlin has a tendency to make 5 star players play like 1 star wanna be's. Let's hope these players are too good for even Marlin to mess them up.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunSaint08 View Post
    Not trying to be ugly, but Marlin has a tendency to make 5 star players play like 1 star wanna be's. Let's hope these players are too good for even Marlin to mess them up.
    When was the last time we had a 5 star recruit? To me Marlin has had more of an issue recruiting talented players than developing players. Many of Marlin's recruits were not heavily recruited. He developed a lightly recruited player into a NBA lottery pick.

Quote Originally Posted by cajuns80 View Post
    Thanks for clarification. Maybe Cougars had another Davis on their team that confused me. I do know Corey plans to play on Brad Boyd's Louisiana United team which will play in The Basketball tournament this summer. Heard today that coaches are assuming Harper will still be on team this coming season. No idea how accurate that is. Interesting in that his name has not hit the portal yet.

Like anything else, there is good and bad in the player development aspect. Guys like Brian Mbamalu and Kasey Shepherd improved in their time here. As frustrating as Dou Gueye was with his decision making, he was actually much better with that last season than the year before. Frank Bartley, Jonathon Stove, and Bryce Washington also improved as their careers progressed. This past season, Theo Awkuba showed much more here than he ever did at Portland. On the negative side, Jalen Johnson probably regressed from his years at St. Louis in the one year he played here. Shawn Long was a good player for us but his last 2 years were very similar to his first two. Justin Miller and Jerekus Davis were pretty much the same players their entire career here. You could say the same for Heyward Register. Mixed bag from player development aspect.

8. Default Re: Basketball Transfers

Quote Originally Posted by CajunSaint08 View Post
    I think quite the opposite.

Marlin makes every player he coaches better.

His weakness in my opinion is he doesn't turn these better players into a "team."

How much eligibility do Brown and Dalcourt have left?

The “we’re not done yet”quote was in the Dalcourt announcement may just been in reference to that. If the staff truly expects Harper to return then they would still need someone to enter the portal to free up another scholarship. As of now it’s 3 out and 3 in. Russell returning is lagniappe as he won’t count against the scholarship limit next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post

His weakness in my opinion is he doesn't turn these better players into a "team."
    Last time the massive influx of transfers they had a year to practice and build chemistry. Now you are throwing a bunch of random players together . Going to be a disaster with this garbage coaching staff.

woohoo! great! kevin foote wrote an article when dad was inducted to cajuns hall of fame, found this quote interesting...
    “Brown said he’s been blown away by the facilities on UL campus. ‘The facilities are excellent, excellent.’... ‘we went on some visits, but i havent seen anything better. I mean from the actual playing floor to the amenities....they’ve got everything big-time colleges have. It made me proud.’”. .... the visits included Cal, St Johns, and Gonzaga.

Quote Originally Posted by SlickRick View Post
    How much eligibility do Brown and Dalcourt have left?
    looks like he was sitting out during the “free” pandemic year.... unfortunate roll of the dice.

Brown and Dalcourt should both have 2 years remaining. As far as throwing a bunch together vs the year we had three transfers become eligible, the hint from Kobe Julien that a band is back together indicates some of these have played together before.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post

Sounds like Herb Brooks’ comments in the Movie, “Miracle”. ....All-Star teams fail because they rely solely on the I individual’s talent. The Soviets (substitute in GOOD Coaching) win because they take that talent, and use it in a system that’s for the betterment of the TEAM.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread Information