Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Basketball Transfers

Default Re: Basketball Transfers

We are full as of now. If Gueye decided to return he would not count against the scholarship limit but if he doesn’t it is not like they could take a wing or shooter in his place.

Quote Originally Posted by Grantvb View Post
    Sounds like Herb Brooks’ comments in the Movie, “Miracle”. ....All-Star teams fail because they rely solely on the I individual’s talent. The Soviets (substitute in GOOD Coaching) win because they take that talent, and use it in a system that’s for the betterment of the TEAM.
    So out of the 1600+ players in the portal, how many are team first guys?

Now we will see across the entire D1 landscape who can put a TEAM together.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginDave View Post
    Dalcourt is a pretty good 3 point shooter as he shot 35.4% from 3 point land, the problem is he only shot 36.2% overall, which tells me he may have made some poor decisions when he did not have a wide open 3 point shot. He also we pretty at FT as he shot 73.7% from the line with 19 attempts in 15 games. In JUCO at Iowa Western he shot 37% from 3 and 40.2% overall.

Dalcourt is a very athletic guy as he ran track in HS and competed in the High Jump, so he should have pretty good hops.

I am not sure why he only played in 15 games last season. SJSU played a total of 21 games, so he missed 6 of their games. He did not play any games in December, so I am not sure if it was injury related or if it was eligibility issues or something else.

He should help the Cajuns, similarly to how Devin Butts played, but hopefully more consistent. In fact their stats last year were very similar. He is not as tall as Butts as Butts was listed at 6'6", although he did not look 6'6, Dalcourt is listed at 6'2.
    Dalcourt played the last 15 games of the season for San Jose and none prior to January. Makes me wonder if he was not eligible till then. Regarding his shooting percentages, he shot 50 percent on two pointers in his 15 games. Reason that did not improve his overall percentage much is that the great majority of shots he took were three pointers, similar to what Devin Butts did here last so season so it is a good comparison. As far as being a frequent mover of schools, I don't think that is a concern now as you are only allowed one transfer without having to sit out a year. This is Brown's second transfer. Therefore small likelihood he does it again as well. Greg Williams Jr is also unlikely to move again as that would be a second transfer for an upperclassmen. With the free year given to players last season, it is possible the only player who moves on after next season is Cedric Russell. Granted that is highly unlikely today. It is almost certain a player will want to move on or get on with real life. Also common for staff to conclude a player would be better off elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatch View Post
    We are full as of now. If Gueye decided to return he would not count against the scholarship limit but if he doesn’t it is not like they could take a wing or shooter in his place.
    If they were to bring in another player, someone on the roster will have to move on.

Quote Originally Posted by moorecajun View Post
    I felt Dou Gueye made a big jump from his first year to the second here. If he could show that same improvement he would be/could be a really valuable asset to the team, IMO.
    Agree...he did make a big jump from his first year. I like his hustle and athleticism, kind of a like a Rodman type player, but he's so inconsistent shooting the ball. If he would stay in "his lane", be more disciplined and limit the TO's....he would be a great asset. We would be very tall too!

Quote Originally Posted by SlickRick View Post
    Agree...he did make a big jump from his first year. I like his hustle and athleticism, kind of a like a Rodman type player, but he's so inconsistent shooting the ball. If he would stay in "his lane", be more disciplined and limit the TO's....he would be a great asset. We would be very tall too!
    if he returns, he is an 8-10 min player. His play is just chaos and his basketball IQ is really bad. He can give some energy for 3-4 min spurts but i would not play him longer than that at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by cajuns80 View Post
    if he returns, he is an 8-10 min player. His play is just chaos and his basketball IQ is really bad. He can give some energy for 3-4 min spurts but i would not play him longer than that at a time.
    At this point, I doubt Dou returns. He is now is his mid 20's and speaks several languages. Probably ready to move on with life. I would not be surprised if he plays pro ball somewhere in East Asia as his parents live in Japan. I do wonder if the signing of Brown impacts that decision as well.

Quote Originally Posted by moorecajun View Post
    I felt Dou Gueye made a big jump from his first year to the second here. If he could show that same improvement he would be/could be a really valuable asset to the team, IMO.
    I thought the same and then I looked some numbers up. Dou actually averaged approximately 2.34 TO/Game each season so there really was little to no improvement in that category. His decision making with the ball was better as he didn't try to force quite as much but statistically his numbers were almost identical. Either way, he either led the team or was second in turnovers on the team and for a big man, that shouldn't be the issue. Also, he hurt us more than he helped us from behind the 3 pt line. He shot 27% from 3 but had the 4th most attempts. That's not efficient. If he returns, I'd hope his role simplifies and they have him focus on rebounding and defense as he's quick and has quick hands and can defend outside the paint.

So I was looking at the ESPN transfer rankings and they have Jordan Brown listed as #64. For perspective ex Sun Belt players Devante Jones of Coastal Carolina #23 and Michael Flowers of South AL # 59 are ranked higher. Stadium has Brown even lower in their rankings at # 79.

Now don't get me wrong I am very happy to have Jordan joining the program and I think he can be very successful here but I think it is safe to say his stock has fallen a bit as he was a Mcdonald's All American and was ranked in the top 10 nationally of the 2018 high school class. For someone that highly regarded the plan was probably to be making the transition to the NBA in 3 years time, not to the mid major level.

He certainly didn't light the world on fire at Nevada as a Freshman averaging 10 Minutes and 3 points a game. He was much better at Arizona last year and although he fell out of the starting lineup mid season it looks like he played better off the bench and went on to be Pac-12 Sixth Man of the Year.

Once again I'm not trying to put Jordan down but I think that it was looking like the NBA might not be in the cards. One of the big knocks on Brown that I have seen is that he is not an above the rim type player, which is something you would expect for someone his size. Watching some video of him last year at Arizona he reminds me a of Bryce Washington with a little less bulk and a little more length. Just a guy who can score by being crafty under the basket and a solid rebounder. I think this might be part of the reason he decided to head here, getting more playing time and a chance to develop his game to where in a few years he can maybe work his way into the 2nd round of the NBA draft or at least have a few solid years of making good money playing overseas. This may be a hot take but as of now I think Akuwba may have just as good if not better chances of a professional career as Brown does. I do think the 2 of them will complement each other well and make a very solid front court duo.

I'm not trying to be a wet blanket here and sorry if it comes across that way. I am very excited to have Brown, but maybe just tempering my expectations a bit.

So I was looking at the ESPN transfer rankings and they have Jordan Brown listed as #64. For perspective ex Sun Belt players Devante Jones of Coastal Carolina #23 and Michael Flowers of South AL # 59 are ranked higher. Stadium has Brown even lower in their rankings at # 79.

Now don't get me wrong I am very happy to have Jordan joining the program and I think he can be very successful here but I think it is safe to say his stock has fallen a bit as he was a Mcdonald's All American and was ranked in the top 10 nationally of the 2018 high school class. For someone that highly regarded the plan was probably to be making the transition to the NBA in 3 years time, not to the mid major level.

He certainly didn't light the world on fire at Nevada as a Freshman averaging 10 Minutes and 3 points a game. He was much better at Arizona last year and although he fell out of the starting lineup mid season it looks like he played better off the bench and went on to be Pac-12 Sixth Man of the Year.

Once again I'm not trying to put Jordan down but I think that it was looking like the NBA might not be in the cards. One of the big knocks on Brown that I have seen is that he is not an above the rim type player, which is something you would expect for someone his size. Watching some video of him last year at Arizona he reminds me a of Bryce Washington with a little less bulk and a little more length. Just a guy who can score by being crafty under the basket and a solid rebounder. I think this might be part of the reason he decided to head here, getting more playing time and a chance to develop his game to where in a few years he can maybe work his way into the 2nd round of the NBA draft or at least have a few solid years of making good money playing overseas. This may be a hot take but as of now I think Akuwba may have just as good if not better chances of a professional career as Brown does. I do think the 2 of them will complement each other well and make a very solid front court duo.

I'm not trying to be a wet blanket here and sorry if it comes across that way. I am very excited to have Brown, but maybe just tempering my expectations a bit.
    The player you describe sounds like someone who played here in the 80's under Coach Paschal, guy named Dion. That would be Jordan's Dad. That type player will definitely help us. I also think Jordan is a little better at finishing around the basket than Bryce was when going against quality bigs. Extra length probably helps there.

11. Default Re: Basketball Transfers

I don’t think you’re in danger of being thought of as a ‘wet blanket’ Hatch. For as much buzz as the recruiting cycle should be getting, it’s just not there. Don’t get me wrong, I’m THRILLED about the national attention that our program is getting based on a few big transfers. But here at home, I don’t see much change in feeling toward the staff.

The hard truth is, this staff could land the freaking Dream Team; until they win and win BIG, people are mostly apathetic about MBB.

The portal could make or break non P5 basketball. You’re now signing a personality that put I first by going in the portal.

How many one and done players Kentucky (most obvious ego magnet) has signed? How many titles won with those individuals?

We’ll see how this pans out. It’s not simple having 3 guys come into any non power league program to all wanting to be the man

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    I thought the same and then I looked some numbers up. Dou actually averaged approximately 2.34 TO/Game each season so there really was little to no improvement in that category. His decision making with the ball was better as he didn't try to force quite as much but statistically his numbers were almost identical. Either way, he either led the team or was second in turnovers on the team and for a big man, that shouldn't be the issue. Also, he hurt us more than he helped us from behind the 3 pt line. He shot 27% from 3 but had the 4th most attempts. That's not efficient. If he returns, I'd hope his role simplifies and they have him focus on rebounding and defense as he's quick and has quick hands and can defend outside the paint.
    Thanks for that info. Maybe that is what I remember; his quickness (and determination) around the goal. He does a nice job rebounding and can make a good pass as long as he plays within his strengths.

Looked into Jordan Brown's season in a little more detail via reviewing stats and looking at more highlights. His performance did improve when he became the Wildcats sixth man early in the PAC 12 season. Best 2 games were against Oregon State and USC. He had 25 points against Oregon State. In a win at USC, he had 19 points and 13 rebounds. That is the most noteworthy game as USC was one of the top PAC 12 teams and went on to the Elite Eight where they were defeated by Gonzaga. Of course he had some games which numbers were not as strong but he was usually above 50 percent from the field. In reviewing highlights, I noticed he moves well without the ball and can finish around the goal with his left hand while his dominant hand is his right. Looks like he can hit mid range shots around the elbow and free throw area. Maybe he can become our mid range guy to balance the offense. I did see the post where ESPN did not rate him in the top 50 of transfers. Balance that with the fact that the schools he considered before he chose the Cajuns were UCLA, Gonzaga, Tennessee, and Texas. Texas was the runner up in his decision making process. I have no idea how he will do as a Cajun but I would rather have him on our squad than not.

I watched some video too and I agree with you. He does have nice touch around the basket but isn't an imposing physical presence. Bryce had that going for him, but he did struggle with long defensive players. He will start for us and that will help his further development. But, I don't see these transfers coming in and all of a sudden we are conference favorites.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread Information